PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried this with the 45/45/10?

armednfree
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
What if you took JPW and Alox and put them together in with the boolits and heated the whole thing up? I was thinking about trying that with 100 boolits just to see what happens. Anybody already done that? I'd use my heat gun.

mdi
12-06-2012, 12:41 PM
It'd work, but be kinda messy. May have to adjust the quantities so the mix isn't too thick. I prefer to dip lube with 45-45-10 ala Ranch Dog.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
It seems as if you would have an awful lot of lube on your boolits. I just roll on a thin coat and it seems to work well for me. I would think there would be an awful lot of smoke when you pull the trigger also.

trixter
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Shooting and smoke................Yeah! I love the smell of gunsmoke in the morning. BBBBBLLLLLAAAAAHHHHaaaaHaaaaHaaa! That is why I go to the club at 3:00 in the morning.

Hamish
12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
"What if you took JPW and Alox and put them together in with the boolits"

Messy boolits, lots of smoke, wasted resources.

I originally warmed my can of Johnson's Paste Wax to liquidity and then stirred in a small bottle of Alox, then let it cool. I purposely did not cook it down to see how it would act long term. I use an amount the size of a large pea to do approximately 3/4 to one inch deep of boolits in a cool whip bowl, once after casting, and once or twice more after sizing. Seem to be doing fine, both pistol and rifle. And, to be honest, lately I have been swirling them at room temperature, not bothering to warm them.

runfiverun
12-06-2012, 11:15 PM
read the sticky on making the 45/45/10 lube, there is a reason the jpw is cooked down.

snuffy
12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Anybody tried this with the 45/45/10?

What if you took JPW and Alox and put them together in with the boolits and heated the whole thing up?

What you'd have there is 50/50, not 45/45/10. The missing 10% is mineral spirits, which makes the lube thinner. So it can put a thin coat on the boolits.

You're trying to take a short-cut for something that should be done carefully, with the right mix. Yeah, I'd much rather be casting than sizing/lubing. But it's one thing that has to be done, and done right.

mdi
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I think it would be easy to adjust the amount of lube in the pot with the bullets (jes don't put so much in the pot!), no need to put a lot in there and it isn't apt to get too much lube on the bullets than any other tumble lube method. You can control the viscosity with heat, making it thin enough for a light coat. Try it! I once used a Recluse method/recipe of melting Caranuba and adding some alox. Just heated in a small stainless steel bowl, and by controlling the amount of lube vs amt of bullets I got a nice thin coat.

geargnasher
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
There's a method of heating the boolits and drizzling a small amount of 45/45/10 on them and tumbling hot, I think it's TommygirlMT that posted a couple of years ago about how she does that. I'm sure others do, and some may chime in. Personally, I haven't found a better method than the one Recluse outlined in his sticky.

Gear

runfiverun
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
it was tommygirl she showed using heat on the boolits and then a fan.
airc she used a hairdryer.

geargnasher
12-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Now that I think about it more I think she might have been using straight liquid Alox, maybe the whole point of warming the boolits through-and-through so the coating would go on thin and have time to distribute evenly without freezing in a thick, gooey layer.

Gear