PDA

View Full Version : Enough guns?

1Shirt
12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I try to go to the range once a week year roung weather, and temp permitting. Usually take avout 4 rifles and one hand gun. Yesterday it was an 8x57, a 7.62x54R, a 44Marlin, and a 7.5x55 Swiss. When I was putting them away after wipe down, I started assessing what I have, and what I have shot in the last year or two. Looks like I have a couple that I haven't shot in a year, and a couple that I haven't shot in over two years. Do I want to get rid of any of them, no! Do I need any more, no! Do I want any more-----ya, but only if the itch is afforded by the scratch. I guess my bottom line is that I have more than I need, but that has never been a factor to stop me from buying another. Kinda like the old Pa. Dutch saying: "Ve got too soon old, and to late smart!"
1Shirt!

linotype
12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I say hold on to what you have, and enjoy them when you can. A time will come when those old military rifles won't be affordable any more. If you sell them to make room, or to buy something else, you may end up regretting it.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-06-2012, 11:57 AM
When you have too many to keep the rust cleaned off of them, then it is time to get rid of a few! Until then, the joy you get from just knowing you own them is enough. I'm not a real serious doomsdayer, but I do know my 401(k) and rental house 100 miles away from me won't be much good to me if everything goes to pot, but I reckon my guns will at least be worth something...

km101
12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
As we say here in Texas: "They aint eatin' no hay." so it's not costing you anything to own them. There are very few things in life that you can own and enjoy without substantial upkeep, so hang onto them as they will only appreciate in value. And you can have all the guns you want now, but you might not be able to replace them later.

Olevern
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Enough guns? When I have one of everything I will be able to rest.

So many guns....so little money!

cbrick
12-06-2012, 12:43 PM
In the mid 90's I got sick and didn't think I would ever be shooting again, out of work and broke I sold almost everything. A couple of years later I was pretty much back in the pink and standing there looking at an empty safe made me nearly as sick as I had been.

Nope, don't sell any of them, it just ain't worth it no matter what you get for them. And as was already mentioned, you might not be able to replace them . . . Ever!

Rick

Olevern
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
In the mid 90's I got sick and didn't think I would ever be shooting again, out of work and broke I sold almost everything. A couple of years later I was pretty much back in the pink and standing there looking at an empty safe made me nearly as sick as I had been.

Nope, don't sell any of them, it just ain't worth it no matter what you get for them. And as was already mentioned, you might not be able to replace them . . . Ever!

Rick

I have a friend who was told by his doctor that his cancer was going to kill him...gave him six or so months. So, being a nice guy and not wanting his widow to have to deal with disposing of a collection of several hundred pieces, all high dollar stuff, he began to sell them off. He started an aggressive treatment program for the cancer to give him some more time, hair fell out, sick as a dog, and, now, five years later he has been declared cancer free. (and gun free) He got back the few guns he (as it turns out) prematurely gifted to his sons, but all the rest are turned into worthless money market instruements. Go figure.

375RUGER
12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Enough? maybe. Too many? never.

HATCH
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
its a judgement call.
For several years I built AK's (ak-47). I guess I must of had about a good 15 to 20 of them sitting in my gun room.
A bunch of duplicates. I started selling them off and buying more guns.
Sold a couple of the rare ones and took the wife on vacation a few years back.

its funny. I have sold half my collection yet I have more guns then I have ever had. Go figure

WILCO
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I say hold on to what you have, and enjoy them when you can. A time will come when those old military rifles won't be affordable any more. If you sell them to make room, or to buy something else, you may end up regretting it.

Yep. Firearms have only two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Olevern
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
its funny. I have sold half my collection yet I have more guns then I have ever had. Go figure

They're devilish, them guns....you get rid of a few and more sneak back in....something about filling an environmental niche....least that's what I tell my wife....after 42 years of marriage, I think she's not buying it anymore :-)

starmac
12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I have thought about this several times. I owned more guns by the time I got out of high school than my dad and a lot of other guys in his generation ever did.
When I was growing up in east Texas most owned a 22 and a 12 gauge of some sort and that was all they ever needed. They were tools and that was pretty much it. I knew one old timer that used his single shot 12 gauge for a trotline weight more than once when he needed to. lol
I still have most of what I started with. I guess I have been lucky, I can remember trading a couple off and giving quite a few away over the years, but never had to sell any off.

Aces an Eights
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I've been trying to fine tune my gun collection to just those I would need for: hunting, CAS, Red Dawn, an SHTF or a zombie apocalypse. :guntootsmiley: surprisingly less than you would think.

wallenba
12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Same problem, more guns than I can shoot. I recently made a list and highlighted the ones I like to load and shoot the most. The rest are there for admiring now. Mostly Milsurps with history, but not very good performance. Halfway through my latest project, An AR-15 build, I realized it had no room in my safe. So I reluctantly selected an old 91/30 to sit outside the safe, locked of course.

starmac
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I have so far not gotten into to the shtf or Zombie (I hate that word) guns. I am sure if it ever came down to that I could find a zombie or two to loan me theirs. lol

DLCTEX
12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I almost have enough guns. Just need one more..one more..one more......

DLCTEX
12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I got my wife a 38 for Christmas. Now she wants one more! She likes my son's 22/45 Ruger. What have I created? Oh well, maybe I can borrow them sometimes.

41 mag fan
12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Sounds to me, like you're not getting to the range enough to shoot the ones left collecting dust. DR 41 says you need to go 3x's a week now. :bigsmyl2:

Blacksmith
12-07-2012, 03:42 AM
I have never sold or traded a gun I owned, although I lost many in a boating accident, so now if things get crowded I just give the excess to my son. He will need all of mine and then some because he has two sons, so now I try to get two of everything so each grandson will get one eventually. They both love to shoot as long as grandpa supplies the ammo.

smokeywolf
12-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Enough guns? What do you mean? I live in California. What guns? Whatever are you talking about? The idiot Kool-Aid drinkers here in California, they would classify a matchlock as an assault weapon.
I have 4 sons, I could never have enough guns.

smokeywolf

sav300
12-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Range day tomorrow,only taking three,Finnish nagant,8x56r styer and a 38-55 rolling block.Quiet day for me.

Wayne Smith
12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
When I read the question the first thought I had was: "I have a set of 22 Hornet dies and don't have one!"

gbrown
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I have guns I have not shot in 10 years. Just bought a Zombie special for a grandson. I have no use for it--he will. I'm +1 with km101's thoughts--don't eat no hay. I don't need any more guns, but I do need another safe!!! LOL

x101airborne
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Lord, isn't that true.
I used to have about 20 mausers of different kinds.
I rebarreled 5 of the worst ones. Put a peep site on one that was near new. Sold most of em and regret it now. Bought most of them for around 75.00 back then. Wish I could replace them.

Love Life
12-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Never enough!!

Although I have bought and sold more guns over the years then I can accurately recall. I buy a gun with a purpose in mind. If it doesn't meet or exceed my parameters for the purpose then out the door it goes. If I don't shoot it often then out the door it goes. I also like to experiment with different calibers, gun styles, etc so I usually move one to bring another in.

Then there are my trusty guns that will never go anywhere.

So I have my baseline guns that never go anywhere. Any other guns are considered money in the bank or trade fodder for me.

Olevern
12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Enough guns? What do you mean? I live in California. What guns? Whatever are you talking about? The idiot Kool-Aid drinkers here in California, they would classify a matchlock as an assault weapon.
I have 4 sons, I could never have enough guns.

smokeywolf

You have my sympathies. I hear that there is some remote possibility that the new country of Texas may be allowing immigration soon, particularly those with guns to repel the invasion by the (former) USA.

I hope you are properly countering the leftist teching of the public school systems there and making your kids independent thinkers, after all the teachers and staff have at least 30 hours a week to indoctrinate them to be good, dependent sheep.

cbrick
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I recently escaped from CA and as nuts as some of the gun laws there are they actually get a bad rap. There are states with much worse gun laws than CA. As an example, if you live in MI just trot on down to your local gun store and buy a handgun. CA has none of that level of obsurdity and if you live in MI you already know exactly what it takes there to get a handgun.

Yep, I'm glad to have moved back to America but there are worse places than CA.

Rick

smokeywolf
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Olevern,
My kids think that if you say anti-gun and anti-American your repeating yourself. Because of the way my medical insurance works, it looks like I'll have to wait another year or so to move my family to "the new Country of Texas".

cbrick,
I knew that New Jersey had some very anti-American gun laws. But, recently I bought slingshots for the whole family and found out that slingshots are illegal in New Jersey. Even being from California I was astonished.

smokeywolf

Love Life
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Buying a handgun in North Carolina is a pain. It is significantly easier to buy a hand gun in California than it was in North Carolina. The only thing that keeps me from living in California are the taxes.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Buying a handgun in North Carolina is a pain. It is significantly easier to buy a hand gun in California than it was in North Carolina. The only thing that keeps me from living in California are the taxes.

I think it depends on what county you are in. Only takes about 5 minutes paper work and 2-3 days here, you can get as many permits as you want and they are good for 5 years. I think some counties limit to 5 a year. My dad had to wait 2 weeks in another county though. If you have a concealed carry permit, no pistol permit is required.

Love Life
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I was in Onslow County. It was usually a 10 day period before the Sheriff'f office called to tell you to come pick up your permits. I applied for 5 at one time.

It was harder for me because I had to be given permission by my chain of command to purchase a pistol or revolver, and get cleared by the MP's as well. I did not add that time into the length it took to get a permit. Add on to that the 5 dollar processing fee and 15 dollar background check from the courthouse.

I live in a free state now.

10x
12-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Enough guns? When I have one of everything I will be able to rest.

So many guns....so little money!

Sadly when you get one of every thing, you start to look for a second one....

waksupi
12-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Ignore this bookmark.

cbrick
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
The only thing that keeps me from living in California are the taxes.

They have made taxes in CA very easy to understand. If you have money, cough it up . . . they want it.

If you have no money, get some . . . they want it.

Rick

HATCH
12-10-2012, 07:58 AM
That why i live in SC.
With my CWP i can walk into any store and walk out 5 mins later with a gun. No phone call, no waiting.
I did get a visit from the BATFE a few years back. The gun smith i did all my transfers through went out of business. He turned all his records in to them. Some flunky in a basement somewhere went thru them. They discovered that in a 18 month period i had purchased 69 firearms. So that warranted a visit.
All is well as i broken no laws.
Needless to say i am sure i am on a list somewhere now.

sent from my mobile.

Wayne Smith
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
With two FFL's and a permit to carry I'm sure I'm on half a dozen lists. Not worried.

dragonrider
12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Enough Guns...........A higher plane of life than this mere mortal will ever attain.

fatelk
12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Enough guns? I remember an economics class from high school (long ago), and the discussion of the insatiable nature of man. Believe it or not the example in the book was of a gun collector, and the amount of satisfaction obtained from each new purchase.

This theoretical collector bought his first gun, an inexpensive .22 rifle, and got a lot of satisfaction from it. He handled it frequently, shot it a lot, and carefully cleaned it each time. Each successive purchase over the years brought less and less satisfaction until he had to buy something extremely rare and expensive to appreciate it at all. The same is true for cars, coins, sports memorabilia, etc.. I thought it was funny that the book used guns, though.

I don't have rare or expensive stuff, but I have enough. If fact I have too many right now; that's why I've sold 8 of them in the last week or so (more than I've sold in the last decade combined). Recently unemployed with a lot of mouths to feed, including a newborn, the gun collection is just not a priority. We're not desperate for the money yet but it's a good time to thin the herd and get rid of stuff. Plus it's looking more and more like we're going to have to move to find work that pays anything. The thought of moving with all this stuff makes me ill. Very soon I'll be putting a bunch of stuff on the trader forum for sale.:)