PDA

View Full Version : Winchesters

starmac
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I noticed on another forum that winchesters that were made in NC are now being put together in Portugal, at least the model 70's.
Anybody have any info on this, it is a shame that nearly anything has to go out of the country to compete in our markets.

Jim
12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Unless I'm seriously mistaken, the model 70's are being produced by FN at the Columbia, SC plant.

starmac
12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Yep My mistake on the NC part, But I understand they WERE produced at the columbia plant, now in portugal with U.S. made parts?

One of the bigger gun stores in ak (wild west) said he has recieved the last two U.S. made model 70's that he will get.

GabbyM
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Just in case you're rumor is correct. I stopped by my local shop this morning after work and ordered a M70 Sporter in 30-06. It was listed as discontinued. Dealer said the catalogue number probably will change. He’d not heard anything about Portugal.

Been wanting one for a couple years. Today was a good enough day to go ahead and get one.

Since this is FN building the Model 70’s I’d speculate they will maintain quality to a high standard. I’d just rather have mine 100 % made in the USA.

fouronesix
12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Just in case you're rumor is correct. I stopped by my local shop this morning after work and ordered a M70 Sporter in 30-06. It was listed as discontinued. Dealer said the catalogue number probably will change. He’d not heard anything about Portugal.

Been wanting one for a couple years. Today was a good enough day to go ahead and get one.

Since this is FN building the Model 70’s I’d speculate they will maintain quality to a high standard. I’d just rather have mine 100 % made in the USA.

Who's reading whose mind! :) Ordered a Win 70 Sporter 30-06 last week. Should be here Mon or Tuesday. Not like I need another Winchester 70 but have been curious about the FN/SC guns since the "new" Win opened facilities in Columbia. All reports about these have been good so hoping that's the case.

starmac
12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
From what I understand if ordered now it will most likely be put together in portugal with US parts. Something about that is where the stocks were coming from, and now they won't have to send back the rejects.

fouronesix
12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
From what I understand if ordered now it will most likely be put together in portugal with US parts. Something about that is where the stocks were coming from, and now they won't have to send back the rejects.

Didn't know about the origin of the stocks- hmmm? I'm still scratching my head about that (odd to me) checkering pattern they've been putting on the featherweight 70s.

GabbyM
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Am curious if the shop in Portugal is an FN facility or an out source. Not that it would make that much difference. FN being who they are probably has plenty of arms contracts with Portugal.

GabbyM
12-07-2012, 06:20 PM

One I ordered is coming from a large distributors warehouse. We figured since the product number was discontinued it should be the old stock. Won’t be to disappointed if it’s not.

I’ve seen and been part of , as a machinist, how a migration of manufacturing location takes place. FN set up the manufacture of the model 70 with Albert Spears model. Where parts are made by many vendors then brought together. FN of Belgium is an international corporation. Not even a US based corp. They will make these parts where they can price point the rifle to compete against Sako and many other very good and competitive sporting goods. If taxes and or energy prices go up in the USA our machine shops around small town USA will not be able to deliver the goods at a competitive price. BTW energy cost in a machine shop is a very big deal. With all those huge electric motors groaning under the load. Plus large buildings.

Most nations have tariff taxes. FN has M70 production set up where it would be a simple thing to get the in nation manufactured % up to where no taxes would be paid. Not sure what that is for the EU. Eventually you could have Winchesters with a made in “host nation” label about anywhere you could sell a rifle. In this modern era manufacture of a bolt action sporting rifle is a very simple process requiring only a modest shop.

But for now I have my rifle. Have been planning on a 30-06 acquisition to the point I already have some brass in the closet.
Very much looking forward to slinging some large lead.

fouronesix
12-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Well, just took possession of my new Win 70 '06 Sporter today. Looks really good and no buggers yet. Fully free floating barrel but don't know how good the bedding is? Nice crisp trigger (about 3.5-4 lbs) and very good stock proportions with clean lines and nice cut checkering. Good fit and finish. And maybe the best part! IMO-- they kept the super smooth bolt-follower design as seen on the later New Haven rifles. Now the most important- the process of load development to see how it shoots- but the weather is no good.

GabbyM
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Picked mine up this mornig also. Very nice.
Was surprised at how thin the 24" barrel is . .605" at muzzle. Rifle is nice and light. 7 1/4 pounds naked.
Bolt lift on cocking is light compared to my Remingtons. That's my perception anyway. Triger is near perfect right out of the box.
Now to wait on my mail order with dies and scope bases.

Vendors online catalog stated this was a 22" barrell. It came in with a 24" which is what I wanted anyway. 8-)