PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to cut plumbous bars?

richbug
06-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I need to cut down some lead bars when I cast to get just the right mix. The bars in question are Linotype, and 63-37 solder. I have been using a Sawzall with a wood cutting blade, but that is lots of work. It there a better way that I missed.

Ohio Rusty
06-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I've cut big pure lead bars by putting them on a log and hitting them with an axe.
Ohio Rusty

ANeat
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I've cut big pure lead bars by putting them on a log and hitting them with an axe.
Ohio Rusty

Yep, Chop Chop

chunkum
06-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Depends on how thick and wide the "bars" are. For standard Ingot sized bars such as the ones from Midway, a large set of bolt cutters makes it easy... if the bars of alloy will fit within its jaws. For the "linotype ingot" size "bars", if you find a good easy method (other than swinging an ax for sure) please share it. When I'm melting the large linotype bars, I sometimes hang or suspend it above my melting pot and lower it by increments as it melts. This can be a bit tricky and does require your full attention.
c.

richbug
06-23-2007, 11:15 AM
My solder bars are the 20# ones(1.5"x2.5"x 16" long) an axe backed by a sledge doesn't work nor do bolt cutters, even my 30" ones. I want to have little 1" long pieces, all I can do with the axe is mangle them.

Same for the Lino big 20+ pound bars, I just want to add a pound or two to a pot to harden it up a bit.

I agree for the little 1-2 pound solder bars bolt cutters are the way to go.

chunkum
06-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I think a cutting torch would be less precise and make more mess than what is desirable. My approach to your goal would be to first melt the large ingots into smaller, longer thinner ones than can be cut with a bolt cutter. I've melted the big linotype ingots in my little 20# Lee Pot by the suspension method I describe. A sturdy tripod over the pot and either a firm wrap at the upper "U" portion of the ingot or the drillling of an appropriate sized hole would hold it. Then you can rig it so that you can watch the pot and when the portion of the ingot in the pot liquifies, then lower it a bit more until you get the level in the pot you want. At this point, (a bottom pour is needed for this process), you can begin to pour the smaller ingots. Still a lot of trouble but at least it's a deliberate one without any chopping or other imprecise approaches.
c.

Yance
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
In the past I've had good luck sing a small bandsaw, the "3 wheeler" kind hobbiests use for a while before they get a "good" one. A coarse tooth blade doesn't bind and you waste very little to the kerf. Don't think I'd be trying to saw 100 lb "pigs" though. The 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" should be no problem though.

OTOH, you could melt the whole thing in you dutch oven and recast in a Lee ingot mold since they make 1/2 and 1 lb ingots. I have an old Potter ingot mold that makes 6 1/2 pounders.

mooman76
06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
I would hesitate putting lead in the air. Just get a big smelting pot and melt them down. Even cut them with WW's or whatever if you want in the process.

monadnock#5
06-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but if I ever luck into a sailboat keel or the like, my tool of first resort will be a pneumatic air chisel. Lots of noise, lots of vibration, but no "saw dust". And it would give the ability to slab off a ten pound piece, or a ten ounce piece, as desired.

Jon K
06-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Cutting 20 lb bars- I used to use 14" Band saw w/ coarse skip tooth blade, sold it when I moved, so now I use a 7" circular saw w/carbide blade & solvent or turpentine for coolant. Cut into 5 lb pieces- easy to fit pot and pour into 1 lb ingots.

Sure do miss the old heavy cast iron band saw.

Jon

:castmine:

Glen
06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
2# hand sledge and a cold chisel works for me.

45nut
06-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Splitting maul ?

Adam10mm
06-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Chop saw with a nice diamond coated blade.

ANeat
06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
My solder bars are the 20# ones(1.5"x2.5"x 16" long) an axe backed by a sledge doesn't work nor do bolt cutters, even my 30" ones. I want to have little 1" long pieces, all I can do with the axe is mangle them.

Same for the Lino big 20+ pound bars, I just want to add a pound or two to a pot to harden it up a bit.

I agree for the little 1-2 pound solder bars bolt cutters are the way to go.

With ingots that size as was mentioned I would go with melting them down and re casting into smaller ingots.

Where are you located, you may be able to find someone local to smelt them down into smaller ingots.

wiljen
06-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I melt mine and pour into mini-muffin tins. The ingots are about 3/4 of a lbs and it makes it easy to mix and match for purpose. I have 5 gallon buckets of ingots of pure lead, WW, WW+2%, Lino, +Metal (ok, 1 gallon bucket of it) and just grab what I need from each as I make bullets.

Granted, it takes more time, but it makes life easier when you get ready to make different alloys. I'm one of those that is constantly fiddling with stuff or trying something new so it just made sense to have them in blend-able form.

richbug
06-23-2007, 04:30 PM
With ingots that size as was mentioned I would go with melting them down and re casting into smaller ingots.

Where are you located, you may be able to find someone local to smelt them down into smaller ingots.

I can melt them down, just need to build a fire and get out the iron pot, just the extra melting required doesn't appeal to me.

schutzen
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I would think a Sawsall would do a good job. Are you using a "high quality" blade? Most of the "generic" hardware store blades are less than adequate. Try a Lenox AXE Blade. Most plumbing or electrical supply houses have them in stock. They are designed for demolition or remodeling work and are tough, aggressive cutting blades.

PS I envy you having that much Linotype! Oh well, I’ll struggle by with my WW’s.

pjh421
06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Wiljen hit the nail on the head.

Paul

454PB
06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
If the alloy is linotype, it will shatter easily. Part of my load of linotype was in sheets about 1" thick and a foot square. I place one edge on another piece of alloy and smack it with a 4 pound sledge and it shatters into pieces. The same works with the 22 pound ingots, they can be broken off in about 2 pound pieces.

cohutt
06-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I have 5 gallon buckets of ingots of pure lead, WW, WW+2%, Lino, +Metal (ok, 1 gallon bucket of it) and just grab what I need from each as I make bullets.

+1, 'cept my +metal is still in a TN foundry's job box

:mrgreen:

Pepe Ray
06-24-2007, 10:13 AM
For those with the resources:
Power wood splitters. Either hydraulic gasoline powered or electric.
Pepe Ray

richbug
06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I would think a Sawsall would do a good job. Are you using a "high quality" blade? Most of the "generic" hardware store blades are less than adequate. Try a Lenox AXE Blade. Most plumbing or electrical supply houses have them in stock. They are designed for demolition or remodeling work and are tough, aggressive cutting blades.

PS I envy you having that much Linotype! Oh well, I’ll struggle by with my WW’s.

I only have about 100 pounds, just hard to work with in the big bars.

As to the blade, it is a Milwaukee 6TPI Demo blade about 6" long. Biggest problem is that it loaded up, maybe if I put some oil on it.

shooter575
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
If you have a air compresser a cheep pnumatic chisel with a wide flat bit will work real well.Heck I have seen the Chit-comm ones on sale in the 15-20 dollar range at Harbor freight or tractor supply.I use a hardwood stump section for a backer.
From what I think you want to do though I would just recast your linetype into a size that would make it easy to add to your melts.Be more accurate also.

Buffalochip
06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I've used a splitting maul on 2" lead--takes a few well placed strikes, but works.

Never wrestle with a pig--you both get dirty and the pig loves it.

nighthunter
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
A wedge struck by a large hammer at the needed spots are all I have needed. Give the wedge a couple of good hits then turn the bar over and repeat on the other side. If this doesn't work just send it to me and I will take care of it for you. I will even cast it and shoot it for you. No charge.
Nighthunter