PDA

View Full Version : tricks/suggestions for the Lee lead tester

randyrat
06-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I just bought a tester today and played with it a little. Any tricks of the trade i need to know. I can see you need a light to see the scale so far. I also tested a bar of 60/40 and some WW ingots The readings were all over the place> BHT was anywere from 13 on up.. The 60/40 ingots were 13-15 actually softer than the WW ingots. The WW ingots were 13-16. I guess my ? how do you get consistancy. Or is it just practice.

45nut
06-23-2007, 01:30 AM
I do not own a Lee,,used to have a LBT though. Maybe I still do, it's kinda hard to tell.

The way I hear it it is much easier to get consistent results with the Lee if you use a funnel as a stabilizer. I dont remember who but it was brought up a couple times.

Jim
06-23-2007, 07:21 AM
I bought a Lee hardness tester recently. The first thing I did was to sit down and read the directions. Two things that are key and must be observed is:
1- NEVER allow the push pin to rise higher than the body.
2- Hold the sample under pressure for a full 30 seconds.

I use a single stage press and with the sample in place, keep adjusting the die untill the push pin comes to the top of the die with the press handle toggled all the way over. When the die is properly set, I take a look at my wrist watch and give it the 30 seconds suggested.
The idea about using a plastic funnel as a holder for the scope is a great idea. Holding the scope steady to get a good reading is sure tricky. I'm thinking that cutting a hole in the side of the funnel to let in the needed light might help.
I can say this about my kit: It's economical and IT WORKS.

Trapshooter
06-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Jim,
+1 on a stand or support for the microscope. The other thing that helped me with consistent readings was to pick (or make) a smooth spot on the sample. Rough areas make it harder to decide where the edges of the indentation are.

Trapshooter

randyrat
06-23-2007, 08:21 AM
OK now i got it> with the funnel holding the microscope(Great idea need to patent that). I did read the "in-de-structions" by the way. I think trying to messure ingots is off because of the off ballance weight or ,in other words; The ingots are not stable enough on the little stand/bullet holder Lee provides. I measured a larger sample of the same bullets this morning and came up with some consistant numbers finally. My bullets that work in my 40 cal are only 15-16 BHT, but they don't lead and are pretty accurate. That just dosen't add up when i look at the pressure they are exposed to 28,000 to 30,000 psi....Opppps too much info (coffee kickin in) save for another thread....Thanks guys

drinks
06-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Randy,if you have a gas checked bullet, the usable pressures are much higher, I use a/c wws, BHN 14, at 2600fps and 35,000psi in my .243.

GP100man
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
randy
i took a clear 2liter pop bottle cut it at the label line & drilled a hole in the cap to snuglyhold the scope , adjustable to needs !!!

GP100man

:cbpour:

Jim
06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Brilliant, GP !!

John Boy
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
... another item to obtain accurate readings ... using a fine tooth file - file a FLAT spot on the object that you are measuring and put the ball there.

Look a the metal with the 20X without a flat spot and you will see little dimples all over

jrgift
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Just read the directions well and remember the scope does not have an erector lens like binoculars or a scope.