PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 311299

jkingrph
06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
When I first started casting, for a Win Mod 70 featherweight in 30-06, for some reason I chose a Lyman 311299. 205 gr gc. Don't know why I chose it and at first melted lead mix over a charcoal burner. I was a young guy in college in '64 and could not afford a lot.

Well I got lucky. I played with that bullet and wound up with loads that would give moa accuracy with that gun.

Recently I got a new Ruger #1 in 30-06 and have had trouble chambering cartridges loaded with this bullet, unless I really seat them deep. Any ideas out there as to why?

45nut
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
The throat dimensions sound too tight for that design, new production rifles are seldom throated for cast. Maybe a bit of lapping will help, maybe a local smith will have a proper throating reamer to give it a nice entry into the lands.

PineTreeGreen
06-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Evidently the Ruger has a shorter throat than the Model 70. I have used the 311299 in a .30 Carbine barrel on my Contender. With Rx7 powder the pressure signs go from mild to wild in 2/10 of a grain. A word to the wise.:mrgreen:

JAMMER01
06-24-2007, 05:47 PM
45NUT

Is there a way to find out what year WINCHESTER stopped producing "over
sized" chambers ???. By serial mumber ???. or ???. Or would you suggest
doing a carrell cast of chamber ???. Any info would be appriciated.

JAMMER01

PS. Are you anywhere around southern oregon ???.
HAVE A GOOD DAY

45nut
06-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Chamber cast is ALWAYS going to give you the true dimensions. Reamers are by nature a changing animal, they are sharpened over the course of the run several times.
The only way around a fluctuating reamer is via EDM chambering and only one man holds that patent and chambers that way. On Target Technology in NH ( www.ottllc.com ) and he measures dummy rounds you make using Your Dies to perfectly match what you have instead of relying on sammi spec reamers.

I live just NE of Bend in central oregon.