PDA

View Full Version : Making gas checks from scrap brass

Revolver
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I was at a clients office servicing the computers when we got on the topic of disposal. I told her how a guy at work tears them down for scrap value. She asked if I wanted their scrap brass?

So, I hauled home an estimated 50-75 lbs of scrap brass (see pic). It is various thicknesses, each sheet is labeled .010, 0.012, 0.20 are the ones I have seen so far.

I am wondering if this can be used to make gas checks? I read that brass might be too hard. I would prefer to use it instead of taking it to the scrap yard. I have been trying to find an excuse to get a checkmaker.

Advice?

Jailer
12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
If you anneal it i see no reason why not. I swage jacketed bullets from annealed spent 40 brass.

btroj
12-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Last time I took a bucket of spent cartridge brass to the scrap yard I got 2.60 a pound. You might have 100 bucks in scrap there. I would sell it at the scrap yard and use the money to buy some Al for check making.

fcvan
12-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm sure you could anneal that brass and try it. I would seriously consider the above post suggesting you take it to the recycler. Turn it in for cash, buy a Freechex or CheckMaker and make aluminum checks. I bought a 6" x 50' roll of Amerimax aluminum for less than $20 after taxes. You could also get rolls of pre cut strips at your required width from Yonky, a member here. I like the aluminum on the roll as I can cut strips at varying widths for my CheckMakers using a paper cutter. If you are doing plain based checks you could take your recycling money and buy sodas (ok, beer) and punch them out of that. The brass in the picture is probably pretty hard stuff.

Revolver
12-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Ok, scrap yard is currently paying $1.63/lb, maybe I will sit on it for awhile until prices go up. Do aluminum gas checks have any drawbacks? How about pop can aluminum?

btroj
12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Pop cans are a bit thin. Most seem to be using Al flashing of various thicknesses. Seems that .016 is a common thickness.
I would look at posts by Ben, he has been using Al checks for quite some time with great success.

runfiverun
12-03-2012, 11:12 PM
different size gas checks are made from different thicknesses copper.
the .12 and .10 could have some uses.
one of pat marlins plain base check makers would do pretty good with those thicknesses.

Lizard333
12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Some of the gas checks I have bought that were commercially made were made of brass. I believe Lyman made them. These were old stock, older than I am, as the price on the box was 2.97 for a thousand.

Jailer
12-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Revolver, what size checks are you looking to make? I might be able to help you out with a good deal on a 30 cal freechex3 and a roll of .012 aluminum if you decide to go that route.

fcvan
12-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Soda can is thin (.004) for making plain based checks to go on regular boolits. I have also stamped out some plain based checks out of thicker material (.010) and they still swaged onto the base of a boolit. Regular checks are made with thicker material (.014) for boolits with a gas check shank. Some thicker, some thinner. Aluminum checks work great. Original checks are copper or some kind of gilding material, definitely softer than brass. Heck, some aluminum is ally hard. The Amerimax flashing I'm using for regular checks is relatively soft and makes pretty and quite functional checks.

reloader28
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Jailer, if Revolver's not interested, I am.

Revolver
12-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Revolver, what size checks are you looking to make? I might be able to help you out with a good deal on a 30 cal freechex3 and a roll of .012 aluminum if you decide to go that route.

Lets talk, PM Sent. Thanks!