PDA

View Full Version : Frosted Bullets...Good, Bad or Ugly?

Fathersalt
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I have seen mention of frosted boolits a few times here n there. I am having a hard time finding anything definitive searching old posts.
I was curious what yall's take on frosted boolits is. I mean if I am getting great mold fillout, what effect does a frosted surface have on its performance while in the barrel or after it leaves the barrel for that matter?
I get the feeling that frosted bullets out of a .45 auto shot at 850-900fps is of no consequence.
I keep my pot at about 650-675 while casting. I intend on experimenting with my hotplate temp that I preheat the mold with. Maybe I can reduce frosting that way. I just dont like the idea of having to pause to let the mold cool. Especially while I am on a roll. For the record, I cast for production first, quality second with this mold.

popper
12-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Not a problem but it means the mould is too hot and may drop undersized CBs. Cool it with a damp towel if you won't slow down.

cbrick
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
It also means that your running close to the mold being too hot and that can cause problems, for one it will take longer for the sprue to freeze and that will slow you down.

As popper said, keep a damp towel on the bench and if the mold starts to get too hot just set it on the towel for a few seconds. No need to get carried away with it, that steam you see is carrying heat away from the mold.

If a bit of frosting has any effect on the boolit with internal or external ballistics I have never been able to see it.

Rick

zuke
12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
As long as their complete I'll fire them.

Cherokee
12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I usualy cast alternating with two molds, that allows one to cool a little while I'm casting the other. I start with them up to temp via a hot plate. When using ony one mold, I will use the wet cloth mentioned above if it gets too hot.

rintinglen
12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Light frosting is your best indicator of good fill out.

I have several molds that simply won't drop good bullets unless the mold is hot enough to frost. Heavily frosted boolits will be under weight and under sized, but a light frosting is a good thing. My Ranch Dog 311-75 and 358-100 TC's must be hot to the point of frosting if I want to keep my reject rate low, the same thing goes for my Lee 2-cavity molds. The one for my 38-55 is a joy to cast with, but you have to cast fast to keep good fill out.

I use the boolit's appearance to keep me informed as to whether I am hot casting enough. I know that when the boolits start to shine, I need to cast faster.

Lizard333
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
IMO frosted is fine. I actually prefer a light frost in my boolits as I get the best fillout and my boolits drop out of the mold easily. This said, the frosting on my boolits easily wipes off with a terry towel.

Heavily frosted boolits tend to drop smaller, which can cause problems. Your gun will tell what it likes. Shoot them. You may be surprised.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I started using 2 molds at a time, run as fast as I can and cant get them too hot.
Some say frosties hold lube better

Fathersalt
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Such good feedback. Thanks guys. I had the feeling the right amount of frosting was kind of a sign I was running right in the zone.
The wet towel trick I will definitely use. What an awesome trick. I wasnt very excited about using two molds so I could cast uninterrupted.
Do you think I am on the right track running maybe a little hotter mold and a little cooler pot or should I try to tune them both towards the middle by running the pot a little hotter and the mold cooler?
Although I am a big fan of not fixing what isnt broke.
I didnt know an overly hot mold can drop undersize bullets. I will definitely watch that.
Although I would think a bullet of soft alloy (8-9) BHN that is .001 undersize might lend itself to loading. Less case mouth flaring required and less chance of shaving the bullet while seating. Plus at the low velocities these bullets are for, they will certainly obturate to make up for that .001 undersize.
May even feed better in the gun.
Anyhow Im rambling cause im in a hurry. Have to get the meat on the grill to feed the family.

williamwaco
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Light frosting is your best indicator of good fill out.

I use the boolit's appearance to keep me informed as to whether I am hot casting enough. I know that when the boolits start to shine, I need to cast faster.

DITTO!

See:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/how_to/frosted-bullets.htm

for photos.

Especially note the last two photos at the bottom of the page. They indicate the relationship between frosting, lead temp, and mold temp.

fatelvis
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I actually prefer a light frost in my boolits as I get the best fillout and my boolits drop out of the mold easily.
I agree, I embrace light frosting. Sharp corners, wrinkle free, and holds lube beautifully!

40Super
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
You don't want to purposly run the mold hot so your bullets get undersize for good feeding ect... It'll get you nothing but leading in the barrel, and don't depend on the boolit expanding to seal. As for frosted bullets it doesn't matter though I don't like them, I go as fast as I can till they start to frost and then back off a bit and stay there in the sweet spot.

**oneshot**
12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
light frosting is fine.

Fathersalt
12-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Good link William. 650 is where I run my metal and in the first few drops somewhere in there I have noticed a FEW really nice bullets. I remember once even looking down on the tray where I have glued a towel. I remember thinking " Eww, those are shiney!" I will slow down a bit and try to stay closer to that sweet spot.
Im pretty sure I am starting the run with the mold too hot. Within 5 drops they are frosted.
Ya,you are correct 40super. I didnt mean to imply I do run it hot to produce undersize bullets.

fcvan
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I run two molds at a time, except when I'm running a hollow point mold. I used to double up with them too but I learned from this site that hotter is better for the center pin. Now when I cast hollow points I'm using only the one mold. I can actually crank them out pretty fast by watching the sprue cool. Once I have things solid within 3 to 5 seconds I know the temperature is right, yet another thing I've learned here.

When it comes to frosty boolits I know at that point I'm running a little hot and adjust the allow temp by slowing down or adding another ingot. I pre heat ingots by setting them on the top of the pot. That way things run rather constant. If I want to cool things I don't let the ingot pre heat as long. Adding stone cold ingots isn't a great idea for obvious reasons.

I'm wanting to try powder coating some boolits. I think frosty boolits might be good to apply the coating to a slightly rougher surface. I'm not positive, just and idea. I'm thinking frosty boolit, water drop, powder coat, see how she flies.

MtGun44
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Fine, makes no difference that I can tell.

Bill

XTR
12-31-2012, 05:34 PM
My 2 chamber Accurate 45-400Q will frost on the inside of the second pour if I don't keep the casting speed down. If I get a frosted one I toss it back in the pot and weigh the ones I've got cast.