PDA

View Full Version : Any good way to store tool for the truck?

John in WI
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I figured I would run this by the people on CBs. You seem like an awefully handy group.
About 10 years back I got one of those Craftsman tool sets that folds up into a handy box. The tool set is great and got me out of more than one jam. Metric and english, allen wrenches, a full range of screw driver bits...

The problem is, the box itself is cheap. Maybe 5 years ago the front clasp broke, so it doesn't latch closed. Today I was making a list of all the tools that ended up MIA over the years (anyone else have a problem with needle-nose pliers and screw drivers evaporating? Dang those things are volitile!)

So, I need to figure out a compact and handy way to store these because they spend there life kicking around my Subaru (with 200,000 miles--so I could very likely need them). I like the original box because at a glance it tells you what's missing, and exactly what size you're grabbing.

How do you guys carry your portable tools? Bummed out Craftsman gave me excellent tools, but a junky box.

Wait--does the lifetime guaranty cover the box itself?

LUCKYDAWG13
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
i have the same type of tool box latch broke on mine too
i use a nylon pull strap like the ones you use on a sleeping bag
to keep it closed

Artful
12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082

starmac
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Those plastic boxes are handy, but typically won't hold everything I like to carry, so I also keep a soft side tool bag with a bigger selection in it.

Those plastic boxes don't work but one time at 40 below either. lol

runfiverun
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
yeah bub, try dropping one 8' in 40 below weather.
weirdest plaaack sound, then a silver shower of money going everywhere.
i use a box now.

smokeywolf
12-02-2012, 08:56 PM
If you really must keep the hard case, I think I would shop for a soft case (bag) that the Crapsman case will fit into fairly closely. The outer bag should keep the inner box from coming open. Should it come open a little and a tool fall out, it will still be in the bag.
Other than that, just get a good soft case from Amazon or Home Depot and move you tools into that. If you want a case that will last for the rest of your life and at least part of your children's, get a technician's case or a injection molded case (flight case). You're gonna have to shell out the Ben Franklins for those.

smokeywolf

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 09:15 PM
The blowmolded cases are junk, but there are few better alternatives for compact organization. Personally, I use heavy canvas satchels for my vehicle tool kits, with steel racks for sockets, cheapy aluminum snap clips and key rings to keep the box end wrenches together, and the screwdrivers, ratchet wrenches, pliers, adjustable wrenches, hammers, prybars, chisels, Vise Grips, pipe wrenches, punches, and other goodies either thrown in loose or put in the inside tool pockets. When you NEED them, you'll find that you don't care so much how they're stored as long as you HAVE them, and the rest of the time they can ride around in the bag and not get lost and be out of the way.

For my trail rig, I have a set of tools to fit every fastener on the vehicle, and nothing more. Saves a bunch of weight for things like the ball joint press, pitman arm puller, bearing and race drivers, ball joint spanner nut socket, spindle sockets, brake spring tools, distributor wrench, tire patch kits, etc. etc.

Gear

boltons75
12-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I store all my truck tools in ammo cans, those clasps won't break on us...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

bob208
12-02-2012, 10:12 PM
i use the tool bag i got lowes. i used it for three years at work. when i retired it went into the box on the truck.

Artful
12-02-2012, 10:32 PM
How big's your stuff - for gun stuff I use a fisherman's tackle box.
In my work truck bundled as seperate boxes or bag's in larger box or milk crate.

rtracy2001
12-02-2012, 10:48 PM
A piano hinge and pop rivets will fix the hinge, and a simple padlock hasp, again attached with pop rivets, will keep it closed (use a carabiner instead of a lock), though the ratchet strap or nylon strap idea has merit too.

A harbor Freight plastic toolbox with the socket organizers would also be a cheap fix.

MtGun44
12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Years ago I had the same problem. I made up a sheet metal tray that would fit inside a .50
cal ammo box, and put ledges on the inside to hold it up to the top. I put the socket set and
bigger tools like visegrips, crecent wrench and small ball pein hammer under the tray and lots
of tools in the tray. Still using it for my traveling tool kit and I put it together in 1970.
Seals tight, compact, cheap and tough as nails.

Bill

Artful
12-02-2012, 11:54 PM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZAA-074
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZAA-074_A.jpg

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2012, 06:24 AM
same here. Ammo cans are about indestuctable.

Sasquatch-1
12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Not sure how many tools you are carring around with you but if it is not a lot try an old hard sided brief case with foam inserts cut to match the tools. If money is no object pick up an Anvil Case.

Dave C.
12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I used to carry tools around until I realised that even though I had the tools to fix a lot of the things that could go wrong I never had the parts that I needed! Now I only carry one tool around with me, my cell phone.

Dave C.

rtracy2001
12-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I used to carry tools around until I realised that even though I had the tools to fix a lot of the things that could go wrong I never had the parts that I needed! Now I only carry one tool around with me, my cell phone.

Dave C.

If the cell phone still works, you haven't gone far enough off the beaten path.

JLDickmon
12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I store all my truck tools in ammo cans, those clasps won't break on us...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
hey that's a d*mn good idea..

Idaho Mule
12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Just do it the cowboy way. What don't fit on the dash goes under, behind, or on top of the seat. If ya got one of them pick-ups with a back seat ya can haul more tools. Just leave room for the dogs. JW

rr2241tx
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
My tools are in a tool roll made out of waxed canvas. The folds are somewhat diagonal so the flap is always long enough to close the roll and little pockets sewn into the fixed side for each tool, slanted the opposite direction of the flap. I wrote on the pockets what was supposed to be in each one so I know what's missing. Sockets are on metal wall strips, not loose. The roll is closed with a broken rein which comes in pretty handy when you need to avoid leaving jaw marks on stuff with a pipe wrench. Don't shoot a 'coon with a Ramset.

Artful
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
My tools are in a tool roll made out of waxed canvas. The folds are somewhat diagonal so the flap is always long enough to close the roll and little pockets sewn into the fixed side for each tool, slanted the opposite direction of the flap. I wrote on the pockets what was supposed to be in each one so I know what's missing. Sockets are on metal wall strips, not loose. The roll is closed with a broken rein which comes in pretty handy when you need to avoid leaving jaw marks on stuff with a pipe wrench. Don't shoot a 'coon with a Ramset.

I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around this diagonal stuff - you got a picture?

Just Duke
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
A masons bag

Mal Paso
12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I just bolted the tool box to the truck with some Peterbuilt urethane bushings.