PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45/70, found at the gun show

alrighty
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
I am looking for some info on what I brought home.I have what I think is a Marlin pre-Remington model 1895 45/70.The serial number begins with 99 so I think this makes it a 2001 made rifle? It does have a stamp on the left side but doesn't look like the usual circle JM.I am also thinking the barrel should be the standard Ballard style rifling.I feel the price was right at $450.00 as the gun appears to be in very good shape.I am also thinking of buying some Skinner style sights , what do you prefer.If Skinner what style would you choose.I plan to use this for hunting and just plain fun.

onegunred
12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
YOU, are one lucky fellow.

alrighty
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
YOU, are one lucky fellow.

Thanks , I of course would love to find a pre cross bar safety model but I could not turn this down.I just hope it turns out to not be a Remington made one.
I seen it Friday when I helped my dad get his tables set up.I didn't have my glasses with me and no one was around this table.I get off work Saturday morning , grab a shower and head down.I go to the table where the Marlin was at.No Marlin, I asked the guy behind the table about the rifle I had seen the day before.He said it was still available but a guy at the other end was looking at it.I waited what seemed like forever but the guy put it back in the rack.I haven't put it down yet.I did run some of my T/C contender loads through it this afternoon.It feed , fired ,and ejected fine.I need some better sights and work up some loads for it.I am pleased with it , just need to see what it will do at the range.

TXGunNut
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Well done! I'm not sure about type rifling you have but if you'll count the grooves we can clear that up soon enough. I've fitted my GG with a low-powered compact Leupold and it works like a charm for my aging eyes, should work fine on your 1895 as well.

starmac
12-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a dumb question. If it feeds fine, functions fine and you are happy with the fit and finish, why would you care if it is a remlin or not.
If it was made in 2001 it will not be a remlin.
I can see someone afraid to order a remlin sight unseen, but if I wanted one and it looks like it is put together well I would not have a problem with one.

TXGunNut
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
It's too purty (and early) to be a Remlin. I don't have a problem with Remlins but I have trouble passing up pretty wood on a gently worn rifle.

btroj
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a dumb question. If it feeds fine, functions fine and you are happy with the fit and finish, why would you care if it is a remlin or not.
If it was made in 2001 it will not be a remlin.
I can see someone afraid to order a remlin sight unseen, but if I wanted one and it looks like it is put together well I would not have a problem with one.

What he said.

People need to quit worrying over where something was made and focus on what they have. If it is a Remlin, as if those really exist, then what does it matter if it functions well and shoots well? A Marlin is a Marlin, matters not where it was made. A good gun is a good gun.

Hiwall55
12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Two of my friends bought 1895BL's last year. the factory had them back more than they had them, so,yeah there are Remlins!

btroj
12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Every company turns out lemons from time to time. I am speaking of fearing a rifle purely ecause of when it was made. If the gun works, it work. If it doesn't, it doesn't. That is the true test, not the serial number or a proof mark.

alrighty
12-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Every company turns out lemons from time to time. I am speaking of fearing a rifle purely ecause of when it was made. If the gun works, it work. If it doesn't, it doesn't. That is the true test, not the serial number or a proof mark.
I did shoot the rifle , but only five rounds.While searching for a 1895 to buy one can't dismiss all the reports of bad products coming from the New Marlin.I have heard that quality seems to be improving but it is still a chance that I don't care to take.
Counting the grooves , it has six.I haven't slugged the bore yet but I am hoping a sized .459ish will work.I already have that setup for my Contender.I want to try a peep sight for this rifle before I have to resort to using a scope.The distance I hunt deer from goes from 40-125 yards, I think that I should have no trouble with a Skinner sight at that range.Thanks for the help.

Corvus
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
#99 should be a '01 , my .444 started with 22 which put it a `78 manufacture. 100 minus the first 2 numbers gives a year.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle

grubbylabs
12-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I looked at a lot of Marlins before I bought mine. Mine is a newer one made after Remington bought them. It seems to be just fine. I have put a few hundred rounds though it and it does great. With as many people complaining about about the quality of the guns they are putting out, it is wise to be a cautious buyer, but I agree, if it shoots and functions well, then why worry about it?

colt1960
12-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Alrighty looks like you hit a big finding that for such a good price. Your rifle looks beautiful.Yes it should have ballard rifling. I bought a new 1895 gbl 45-70 remlin earlier this year and love it. Yes there are good ones to be found, but the best thing to do now is be sure tohold it in your hands and inspect it before you buy. Online purchases is a gamble. Rick

alrighty
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Alrighty looks like you hit a big finding that for such a good price. Your rifle looks beautiful.Yes it should have ballard rifling. I bought a new 1895 gbl 45-70 remlin earlier this year and love it. Yes there are good ones to be found, but the best thing to do now is be sure tohold it in your hands and inspect it before you buy. Online purchases is a gamble. Rick
Thanks , I do like the looks and the way it balances.I was also surprised to find an early model 1895CB at the show.It had to have been a safe queen , nothing but minor handling marks.I thought that it was priced right as well at 900.00.I loved the looks but for half the money I think I made the right choice.I am sure this will serve my intents and purposes.Now I just need to pick out a sight.

alrighty
12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
#99 should be a '01 , my .444 started with 22 which put it a `78 manufacture. 100 minus the first 2 numbers gives a year.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle
Thanks for the link, the rifle you have (444) is the one I was wanting.I shot one years ago that belonged to a friend that brought it to deer camp.Now that I already have a couple of guns in the 45/70 this just seemed to make more sense.

pietro
12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Microgroove barrels are so stamped on the side, all other M1895s are Ballard rifled.

Corvus
12-05-2012, 02:53 AM
What year did Remington take over production and screw up the rifles ? I presented my .444 to a nephew and will be looking to replace it with a .45-70 of some model.

gandydancer
12-05-2012, 03:29 AM
The freedom group that I believe owns Remington and marlin and others. has been turning out some poorly manufacturer firearms the last few years.like the 700 Remington my friend purchased a few months ago with one box of ammo 20 rds fired through it. and the bolt came off in his hand. The workmanship seems to be slipping. and the cheaper rifle they now mfg the 770 or 778 I think its called it sells for around $300.00 bucks.. you would not belive what it cost to mfg it. GD :veryconfu

missionary5155
12-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Good morning
Sights I have placed receiver sights on most my Marlins and am very happy with them. Skinners are nice also (have some) but I am more inclinced to the standard old stye "bolt on the left frame side" things. Have both the old steel and the newer aluminum styles and both work fine. I get them set for 100 yards as my hunting is in woods and river bottoms.
With 6 grooves you have the GOOD Ballard rifling. I have a 45-70 with the Micro groove also and it will shoot as good as the ballard but it must have a .002+ oversized boolit to do so. Othere than that detail I see little difference in Micro barrels except mine tend to stay clean a very long time.
Mike in ILL.

alrighty
12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
What year did Remington take over production and screw up the rifles ? I presented my .444 to a nephew and will be looking to replace it with a .45-70 of some model.
Nice gift! I think 2007 is the year they bought Marlin.I am not sure when the quality problems showed up , but I would think around the same time frame.After starting this thread , I was told to work the action and inspect the bore carefully.The problem with gun show finds is around here they cable tie the lever down.A test is not allowed.

alrighty
12-05-2012, 01:24 PM
The freedom group that I believe owns Remington and marlin and others. has been turning out some poorly manufacturer firearms the last few years.like the 700 Remington my friend purchased a few months ago with one box of ammo 20 rds fired through it. and the bolt came off in his hand. The workmanship seems to be slipping. and the cheaper rifle they now mfg the 770 or 778 I think its called it sells for around $300.00 bucks.. you would not belive what it cost to mfg it. GD :veryconfu
I think now it is the 770 , I made the mistake of buying the first model.I think it was called the 710.I bought it sight unseen for $200.00 from a co-worker that was needing money.That one didn't stay in the stable long enough to get the trigger pulled by me.

alrighty
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Good morning
Sights I have placed receiver sights on most my Marlins and am very happy with them. Skinners are nice also (have some) but I am more inclinced to the standard old stye "bolt on the left frame side" things. Have both the old steel and the newer aluminum styles and both work fine. I get them set for 100 yards as my hunting is in woods and river bottoms.
With 6 grooves you have the GOOD Ballard rifling. I have a 45-70 with the Micro groove also and it will shoot as good as the ballard but it must have a .002+ oversized boolit to do so. Othere than that detail I see little difference in Micro barrels except mine tend to stay clean a very long time.
Mike in ILL.
Thanks , I like the simplicity of the Skinner's but I am leaning more towards the Lyman or Williams myself.Like yourself this rifle will be set for 100 yards.I do like the easy adjustments and it is nice to be able to adjust to different loads.IMO that is what is so great about the 45/70 , loads from mild to wild.Myself I don't see any need to load any hotter than I do at present for my contender rifle.I will be loading some mouse farts for fun at the range.Thanks for your thoughts.