PDA

View Full Version : What a great day

Aje
12-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi Guy's
Had an absolute blinder of a day, no commitments, Cowboy shooting in the morning, played around with my model 19-3 in the arfternoon shooting boolits from my new Lyman 358429 which shot beautifully considering I haven't done any load development yet. I was hitting 4" steel circles with boring regularity at 25-30 meters off hand (that's pretty good for me). Then a spot of casting in the evening did about 400 #358665's & 200 #358429's.
It just dosn't get any better.

If anyone has any advice or sees anything I can improve please comment. Ive been reloading for 24 years but casting for only 6 months or so so I still have a lot to learn about both.

Aje

truckboss
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Good morning,I would run your mold a little hotter and cut your sprue a little sooner.

EMC45
12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
And maybe snug down the sprue plate a bit. Otherwise they look ok. The 359-429 is a good bullet!

fcvan
12-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Cast, reload, shoot, repeat. Get back with us frequently and let us here know how it's going. BTW, nice iron and nice looking boolits!

Gibson
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Good shooting. Nice casting. Beautiful shootin' iron.

Life is good. :)

Aje
12-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the imput guys. I don't really have anyone local to get feedback from, while I know heaps of shooters they generally buy there bullets or get me to cast them. I have learned most of the finer points of the little I know from this site so thanks.
I'll fire up the pot tomorrow & will up my cycle rate to get a bit more heat in the mold also I'll see if I can cut the sprues a little earlyier without any tearing after tightening the sprue plates of course.
Think I may also head to the range and start some load development with the 358249 & see what it will really do rather than just playing.
The model 19 is awesome I got it from an older gent when he hung up his guns. I don't think he ever put an angry shot though it. The trigger is beautiful & it just feels right in my hand.

Aje

captain-03
12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Looking good!! Just love that revolver!!

Cherokee
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Negative - looks like incomplete fill out on the bands and bases a little rounded. Practice and hotter mold could help that.
Positive - I don't let little imperfections like those bother me, the boolits shoot just fine in handguns. I do try for perfect boolits but will use less than perfect. If they look worse than yours, then they get recycled into the pot.
Keep at it and enjoy !!

MtGun44
12-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Yep, need a touch more heat. Don't be worried if they start looking "frosty", they will be just fine and
usually they fill the mold better just at or beyond the temp where 'frosting' happens.

Adjust mold temp by a combination of casting rate (think of delivering a packet of heat each time you fill the mold)
and metal temp.

Bill

runfiverun
12-03-2012, 11:24 PM
the color will shift to a galvanized looking grey, that's the temp i try and hold in the mold and casting cadence.
you can open the mold with a gloved hand and open it a titch sooner. [you'll develop a feel for when to open the cutter]
a slight tear in the base will happen ocassionally, it's not a big deal.