PDA

View Full Version : Which Ladle Do You Use?

07-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I am fairly new to casting (400 boolits cast) and have used a Lyman ladle which seems to work well. I did smooth and enlarge the interior groove that leads to the pouring spout with a Dremel Tool.I am considering getting a Rowell Ladle as the bottom pour spout looks like a nice feature. The actual pouring spout looks a little large though as I like the control afforded by the small tapered spout on the Lyman. I am interested in hearing of others experiences with these and the RCBS ladles and their pros and cons.

45 2.1
07-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I have the Lyman, Rcbs and three Rowells (smallest, next to smallest and one for rendering) Either the Lyman or Rcbs are ok, but I wish they had about one half again more capacity. The Rowells are good, but the pouring spout could benefit from a little triangular file work to concentrate the pouring stream. The smallest Rowell is all you need unless your going to pour cannon balls. The RCBS and the smallest Rowell would be a good combo.

NVcurmudgeon
07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I haven't used the Rowell yet, gotta try it. I find the Lyman too small, but the RCBS is big enough to support a four-cavity, 200 gr. mould. Also the RCBS has a fin on the bottom which I use to rake the crud toward me, leaving a clean spot to dip in. Of course the Rowell avoids dross inclusions by bottom pour. The RCBS comes with a spindly little handle that WILL break if you bang it on the side of the pot to knock crud loose for skimming. When they break, I tap the ladle 5/16" NC and make a new handle from a long 5/16" bolt with a nut jammed against the outside of the ladle.

Lee W
07-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I have a Rowell 2lb ladle that is a little heavy for constant use. I did find using the pot edge as support when I poured into the mould worked great.
It is built like a truck and will last me forever.
I got mine here:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,123.html

shooter2
07-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Rowell. Got mine from the Antimony Man. I have only one mould that prefers the Lyman, the rest like the Rowell. I have the two smallest. The smallest one for casting bullets, the next largest for making ingots. Works for me.

wills
07-23-2005, 10:41 PM
http://www.advancecarmover.com/

also

Shawrco
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
I have both Lyman and Rowell (from Antimony Man). I like the trough in the bowl that feeds the metal from the bottom, but since he Rowell doesn't have the nose spout, what technique do ya'll use in pressing the ladle to the mould? The Lyman nose seals well to the sprue hole and enhances the "roll and pour" technique. Can't see how to do that with a Rowell.

Naphtali
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Thank goodness for this thread. What ladle for 400+ grain bullets:

1. For single-cavity mold?

2. For double-cavity mold?

Cracker
02-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I use the small Rowell and as stated it makes a pretty good mess as it doesn't have a conical nose spout. Bottom pour is making for very nice boolits. I have been thinking of putting some buildup with brass brazing rod on there and reshoping it into a more tapered profile.

Any thoughts or comments??

Cracker
02-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Thank goodness for this thread. What ladle for 400+ grain bullets:

1. For single-cavity mold?

2. For double-cavity mold?

The #1 Rowell (small one) has a claimed working capacity of 4500grs, which should be good for most anything short of four hole cannonball moulds

mtgrs737
02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I have both the RCBS and the Lyman ladles and find that they both hold the same amount, as the RCBS looked larger. I use the lyman for two and four cavity moulds and the Rowell for 6 cavity moulds as I like the rounded shape a little better than the RCBS square shape. I also have a Rowell bottom pour ladle with the short handle for six cavity Lee moulds. :castmine:

mroliver77
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
I use the Lyman ladle when ladle casting. Some molds prefer the spout touching, others pouring from an inch away. I usually overpour all the alloy in the dipper. I always cast over the pot letting the extra run back into it. As 44man likes to point out this keeps the sprue molten to allow boolit to pull more in as it cools. This is especially important when casting hollow base boolits.
J

Sprue
02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
I came across this stuff today with the exception of the one on the far left. That was my one and only til now. The 3 on the left side have Jumbo stamped in them. Course I now have a bottom pourer but these tools will be used.

Linky: (See Post # 8)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26578