PDA

View Full Version : Gas check instalation question.

grogel
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Im new to casting and reloading and have never used gas checks.

Im putting gas checks on RCBS 30-180-FN. Bullets are .311 as cast and Im running them through one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/130781275384?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Lee 310 bullet sizers.

When I push the Hornaday gas checks on by hand(check on the table, push the bullet into the check) then run it through the sizer nose first, the checks are pushed,concave, on the bottom and not seated on as far as if I run them through base first.

Should I just run them through base first?

454PB
12-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Try this....

After placing the boolit in the sizer nose up, push the boolit just hard enough that it will stay in the sizer on it's own. Lower the ram about 1/4", then give the boolit a light "tap", and continue pushing it into the sizer. The tap will fully seat the gas check.

grogel
12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you, Ill try that.

Will having alox on the bullets hinder proper seating of the GC? Seems like I wouldnt want anything under there.

cbrick
12-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Will having alox on the bullets hinder proper seating of the GC? Seems like I wouldnt want anything under there.

The boolit will go through the sizing die easier with less pressure if it's lubed. It takes a certain amount of pressure to properly seat the check so it's possible that theres not enough pressure. Try sizing/seating checks with no lube and see if the checks go on better. Your only sizing .001", this should work well for you.

Rick

grogel
12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I tried tapping and it worked about 50% of the time. Rick, I have been working with unlubed bullets, that question was rolling around in my head because I was worried about leading in the die.

I can see your point about the lack of pressure because Im only sizing .001. Searching the forum, I see that some will use a rawhide or nylon mallet to lightly tap the nose to seat the GC before sizing.

Im not doing big numbers of bullets so Ill give this a try.

I appreciate the help.

454PB
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
You won't lead the die by sizing unlubed, but you will feel a little more resistance. Tapping on the boolit nose is going to deform it unless it's a really hard alloy.

williamwaco
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I do agree with both the above.

I have tried sizing before and after tumbling. I notice no to very little difference in the effort required.
BUT. If you size after tumble lubing you MUST tumble lube again.

You will NOT lead your sizing die by sizing "naked" bullets. I have MANY thousands through my .357 Lee die and not a trace of lead.

If I have an appropriate die, I use the Lyman 4500 to seat the gas checks even if I am going to use LLA to lube them.
I find the the Lyman 4500 with the gas check seater that comes with it is very effective.

When I do use the Lee die to seat the check, I size/seat them "base up" "Check first". Deforming the nose is not a problem for me because every bullet I cast has a flat point.