PDA

View Full Version : Pacific history....

MGySgt
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Subject: Pacific history....

Japan changes name of Iwo Jima
Associated Press
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
TOKYO — Japan has changed the name of the Pacific island of Iwo Jima to the original name of Iwo To given by locals, who have become disenchanted with the popularization of its modern-day moniker by such movies as Clint Eastwood's recently released "Letters from Iwo Jima."

The 1945 battle for Iwo Jima pitted some 100,000 U.S. troops against 22,000 Japanese deeply dug into a labyrinth of tunnels and trenches. Nearly 7,000 Americans were killed capturing the island, and fewer than 1,000 of the Japanese would survive.

The new name in Japanese looks and means the same as Iwo Jima — or Sulfur Island — but sounds different, the Japanese Geographical Survey Institute said.

The institute announced the name change on Monday after discussing the issue with Japan's coast guard. An official map with the new name will be released Sept. 1.

Iwo Jima was the site of the World War II battle immortalized by the famous photograph by Joe Rosenthal of The Associated Press of Marines raising the American flag on the islet's Mount Suribachi.

Before the war, however, the volcanic island was known as Iwo To by the 1,000 or so civilians who lived there.
They were evacuated in 1944 as U.S. forces advanced across the Pacific. Some Japanese navy officers who moved in to fortify the island mistakenly called it Iwo Jima, and the name stuck. After the war, civilians weren't allowed to return and the island was put to exclusive military use by both the U.S. and Japan, cementing its identity.

Never satisfied that the name Iwo Jima took root, locals took action in March after the release of Eastwood's two films "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers" spotlighted the misnomer.

"Though we're happy for Iwo To, which has been forgotten by history, the islanders are extremely grieved every time they hear Iwo To referred to as Iwo Jima," the local Ogasawara newspaper reported at the time.

Ogasawara, the municipality that administers Iwo To and neighboring islands, responded by adopting a resolution making Iwo To the official reading. Residents and descendants of Iwo To evacuees petitioned the central government to follow suit.

"These people are now scattered nationwide and are not able to go back to Iwo To," said the survey institute's Mitsugu Aizawa. "These people have said that the place is originally called Iwo To and their claim lead to this revision."

Today the only inhabitants are about 400 Japanese soldiers.
The Americans occupied the island after the war, and returned it to Japanese jurisdiction in 1968. The U.S. Navy still uses an Iwo To airstrip to train pilots who operate from aircraft carriers.

fatnhappy
06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I saw that on the AP wire yesterday. Sorry, but the japanese didn't name that island, The United States Marine Corp did.

felix
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
If the battles there were BP oriented, I would be more than happy to call it Sulfur Island and let it go at that. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
06-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Sorry, I remember being a little kid living very close to Redondo Beach in SoCal. Among others of my childhood memories were the shelling of the refinery at Goleta, CA by one of His Imperial Japanese Majesty's submarines, the American pronunciation of Guadalcanal starting with a hard G not a W, Iwo Jima, and Hiro SHI' ma. I have been to Japan and found the Japanese people to be very nice. That doesn't alter the facts that the Japs started WWII in the Pacific, that SoCal civilians were very nervous, and that we hatefully called them Japs. About 2040 or 2050 the last Americans who remember WWII will be gone and Japan can be admitted to the politically correct club. Until them I will continue to use US Army, US Army Air Corps, US Coast Guard, US Marine Corps, and US Navy nomenclature.
Their blood paid for my pronunciation.

Bret4207
06-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Well said Bill. I spent a lot of time in Okinawa, as all good Marines should, and found the locals to be marvelous folks. I really admire their work ethic. As with the French, the common man is just that, a man and is probably a likable sort. It's their gov'ts we have tend to have issues with.

redneckdan
06-22-2007, 08:32 AM
I never relized that japan actually shelled the contigous 48 states. I new they hit hawaii and screwed around in the aluetians. And there was weather balloon thinga bobber they tried...

Scrounger
06-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I never relized that japan actually shelled the contigous 48 states. I new they hit hawaii and screwed around in the aluetians. And there was weather balloon thinga bobber they tried...

Jeez...Didn't you see the movie,"1941", starring the late great John Belushi? Here's an interesting link about that time in our history: http://www.ufo.it/testi/1942.htm Note the webpage.

Boz330
06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
My dads first combat was Guadalcanal. His ship was diverted there to help out the Marines and his outfit was attached to the Corps as a CAM Division (combined Army Marines). 100% of his unit was infected with Malaria and he took the pills till the day he died. He was sent back right before his unit hit the beaches at Iwo Jima because of the Malaria. It's not widely recognized that the Army had a stake in that battle as well.
My dad had an intense dislike for the Japanese because of the war. He admitted to me that he probably shoudn't but he just couldn't get past it. There was a Japanese American family that moved in down the street from us and it was a long time before he would recognize them. They were here long before the war but that didn't make any difference. They also belonged to the block Rosary that my folks belonged to and it was interesting when it was at our house. Mom was pretty good at keeping him in line though.

Bob

felix
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Bob, I hope you are keeping that Block Rosary going strong. If not, please consider it. It is our only chance for survival as non-combatants. ... felix

45nut
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM

a Japanese sub shelled Fort Stevens on the North coast of Oregon:

On the night of June 21, 1942, Fort Stevens saw its only action when a Japanese submarine (the I-25) fired 5.5 inch shells in the vicinity of the fort. The shelling caused no damage. The Fort Commander refused to allow return fire. The incident made Fort Stevens the only installation to be attacked by an enemy since the War of 1812.

http://www.visitftstevens.com/history.htm

Boz330
06-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Bob, I hope you are keeping that Block Rosary going strong. If not, please consider it. It is our only chance for survival as non-combatants. ... felix

I'm not a complete heathen but it has been a long time since I was a practicing Catholic. I don't know if they still have such groups although I would think that they still do. I try to live my life by treating other folks the way I would like to be treated and pray to my creator privately. And then mostly to take care of the young men and women in harms way. It's their turn in the barrel now and hopefully they won't let us down. If the ones that I've met over the last couple years are any indication, we are in pretty good hands. I deal with GIs from Ft Campbell and Ft Knox regularly and they are highly motivated and trained. The big thing is let them do their job and don't tie their hands.

Bob