PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 Easy Spire Point to Flat Point!

rbertalotto
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I bought a Lyman mold for my 38-55 Sharps (Lyman Mini). This mold drops 338g bullets from 20-1 lead.

Unfortunatly the Mini Sharps does not have a fast enough twist to stabilize them.

So I want to try them in my Winchester 94 and my Marlin 1893. But I'm going to need to really seat them deep for them to feed through the magazine.

I have brass resized and ready to go. I've expanded the brass with an expanding plug I made on the lathe. But they are only expanded to a depth for a 250g bullet.

And the Lyman bullets are Spire point which would not be good in lever action rifles with tube magazines. I figured I'd simply load them, and then figure out how to turn them into flat point bullets.

But when I went to seat them in my dies, they miraculously turned into flat points! Seems the lead is soft and the pressure to get them into the case was great and BINGO...instant flat point!!

I'll be making a new, longer expander plug if these test cartridges work out...............we'll see!

williamwaco
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
HA!

Isn't this a great hobby.

Never a dull moment.

Learn something new every day!

rbertalotto
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Man, you got that right!!! 40 years of reloading and playing with this stuff and I'm still learning!