PDA

View Full Version : power pistol in a 30-30

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
after seeing some of Jim's research in the 308 with Bulls eye and his 20 yard accuracy

i got thinking about trying power pistol in 30-30 for light loads

well I am back form the range and very happy with the results , more development will need better sights or better eyes

my 25 yard groups are easily covered by a quarter

a range acquaintance had his 8x10 inch steel plate up at 100 yards , it was easy enough to ring every time from the bench

the load is 6.3 gr of power pistol this drops from the .57 auto disk that is supposed to drop 6.4gr , most of the auto disks i find are .1gr light

lit off with a CCI large pistol primer

and a as cast .310 lee C309-170rf , without a gas check , 2 light coats of alox +jpw

and best of all the brass and gun are clean , my light h4895 loads had always left dirty brass and a dirty gun

recoils is , tiny un noticeable 22 like , my 9 year old son loves this round

i like the price at 1100 rounds to the pound

and they load as easily as pistol rounds on the turret

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Yup, you have a good thing going on there!

I worked out a system using a .30 Carbine Lee Powder Thru Expander die, Lee Collet neck sizing die set to size the necks to just about .310" on the inside, then an RCBS seater die and finally a Lee FCD or sometimes seater die with stem removed for a roll crimp, all in a Lee 4-hole turret press. No case lube, prime on the press (Safety Prime), seat/crimp in separate stations, all makes for very speedy production of blazing ammo for the .30-30. I load .35 Remington on a three-hole turret with the collet die, a .357 Magnum PTE expander spud installed in a Lee Rifle Charging Die, and I seat/crimp in one step for that one.

Various pistol powders all worked well, and PP, Longshot, and IMR PB worked very well for me for 1k-1600 fps loads and metered better than Unique or Red Dot. Using the pistol primer like you did for low-pressure stuff really helped me to improve check-less accuracy and reduce throat leading with the subsonic, powder-puff/varmint/bunny loads.

Gear

JLDickmon
12-02-2012, 06:59 AM
I made some reduced loads for my 444 with Blue Dot, but I haven't had a chance to get out and bust any of them off

uscra112
12-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Have tested moderate loads of PP in my .25-21 Stevens, but found that AA#9 was even better, so far as velocity variance and accuracy are concerned. These were 1400 fps, not really cat-sneezers, though. Pistol primers are the ticket. I use Rem 1 1/2, which are said to be the mildest of all.

Centaur 1
12-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd like to hear more about using Power Pistol in a rifle. Always see lots about Unique and Red Dot, but PP is my new go-to powder in most handgun loads.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
well somewhere i read all the unique pistol loads worked with power pistol if you dropped a grain , well i dropped well down , first round i tried was 4.5 gr the same amount it put in my 9mm rounds

well it functioned fine so then i started dropping down i got down to 2.5 gr and realized it was not going to take much to make the bullet still go then i thought my 6.3 pushes a 170 gr bullet in a case rated for 35kpsi , and the 30-30 is 35k psi , and a much larger case , should be well within safe , so i tried it , it functioned fine so i figured i would make up 25 and go to the range

just got lucky i found something that worked so well right away

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-02-2012, 10:48 PM
this thread , helped me along http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171929-2400-The-Load&highlight=harris

giving bulls eye and unique loads that were ideal for unchecked target loads out to 100 yards

reducing then starting to work up , i figured i would find the spot where it worked best

power pistol is working for me in 9mm 40 s&w and 44mag , when i get to it i expect it will do just fine in 45acp also

i only wish my local price hadn't gone up , but even at the current 21.00 a pound it isn't bad my first price was 17.25

one of these days i will just have to order up a 4 pound jug or two

rsrocket1
12-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I've chrony'ed 10-11 grain loads of Red Dot, Clays, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol and they went from a low of 1680 to a high of 1800 in my .308 Rem 788 using a 110g Xtreme m1 carbine RN plated bullet. My guess as to why pistol powder type was almost irrelevant was that even the slower powders had enough time to completely burn by the time the bullet left the barrel. Looking at QuickLoad, the very fast powders like Clays and Red Dot were completely burned within 1" of the bullet leaving the case while PP was 100% burned at about 16" down the barrel.

I've since settled on 10-11g Unique or Bullseye (whichever I have more of) as the load for this bullet. If I had an 8# jug of Promo, I'd probably use it since it would be the least expensive powder. I prefer to keep Power Pistol around to get the best velocity out of a pistol round, it doesn't seem to produce any of an advantage in a low recoil rifle round (unless you have plenty of it laying around).

Photog
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Since I have a bunch of Power Pistol, I used it in 30-06 for about 1700fps and 30M1 carbine for 1300 fps. Makes sense that it burns in 16" as it DOES cycle the M1 Carbine. Next up is 30-30. Do a search for "Power Pistol in 30 carbine" and I bet my data shows up. I make major in 40 with about 6.4 gr under a 180gr montana gold in my Witness Limited. I really don't like the recoil impulse and the noise in the pistol. I DO really like Power Pistol for reduced cast rifle loads.

fecmech
02-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I tend to think of PP as fine grained slightly slower Unique in my .38 and .357 rifles and pistols. Very close ballistics for any given charge weight.

dubber123
02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
I use it a lot in 30-30 with a few different boolits in the 170 grain range. I've settled on 10 grains, it gives me about 1,400 fps., and will stay in 1/2" at 50 yards. I got a buy on it, and have about 20 pounds to use up. I like how the smaller grains meter, it's good stuff.