PDA

View Full Version : J P Wilkinson double 12 gauge question

kywoodwrkr
06-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Local shop has a double 12 gauge J. P. Wilkinson 12 gauge shotgun in their racks.
Anyone have a barnyard estimate of what one would be in good but reblued condition?
Hammer gun so is very old, even older than me!
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Mk42gunner
06-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Price on doubles depnds on so many things, it is hard to say without actually seeing the gun. Where was it made? I am guessing England from the name, but it could have been made in Belgium? What do the proofmarks tell you? Is it in shootable condition or is it a wall hanger? The biggest variation is probably the barrels- are they damascus or fluid steel?
How long are the chambers a lot of English bird guns are supposed to have 2 1/2" chambers.
I have seen doubles go for anything from $100.00 on up to more than I have paid for a good truck...

See if you can find out anything about J.P. Wilkinson, by that I mean if they were known for quality guns or if they made utility grade.

Sorry for not being any help,

Robert

Leftoverdj
06-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Got me curious so I did some checking. Found a JP Wilkinson 10 gauge for sale. That was Belgian made and mediocore quality.

Here comes the guesswork. C. 1900, the smaller makers, especially the Belgian makers, would stamp anything a quantity buyer wanted on their product. They also used fanciful brand names. In either case, the intent was to convey the impression that the cheap Belgian JP Wikinson was the much more expensive English Wilkinson.

Personally, I would not pay more than $150 for the Belgian version, and I would not pay that unless I wanted a wallhanger for decoration. I sure would not buy one for a shooter. I would not even shoot one belonging to someone else unless it had nitro proof marks and passed a careful inspection.