PDA

View Full Version : 1st Major snow of the season!!

Love Life
11-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Woohoo!!!! We are experiencing our first major snow of the season here at 7500 feet. It has been raging all day. We started the day with a wonderful hump carrying 55 lb rucks from 7500 up through 8700 feet. About 4 1/2 miles total, but serious snow and elevation change. It was actually pretty nice.

Hope fully the snow keeps on coming. Time to break out the snow shoes and skis!!!

snuffy
11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Where??żż

No location on your profile, so I'd guess it's up some mountain?

Love Life
11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Sierra Nevada mountain range.

runfiverun
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
won't be so happy with the storm when the third wave comes.

Love Life
12-01-2012, 12:11 AM
We need all the precipitation we can get after last winter.

geargnasher
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Vat ees dees "snow" ting you say?

Gear

quilbilly
12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Makes me want to throw the Xctry skis on the truck and head for Reno. Ever see any snowshoe hares on your "humps"? Never saw any on my backpack jaunts on the Muir Trail so many years ago. It's like being in front of a firehose here but this is November on the Olympic Pen.

MUSTANG
12-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Better the Snow than the super cold. Back in the late 1980's we had one winter in the Sierra Mountains where the temp dropped to a low of 72 degrees (Below zero). That is colder than I experienced in the various winter deployments I had to Norway. A couple of years ago, we even had snow in the Las Vegas valley, only lasted about 6 to 8 hours..

I was at our Cabin in Kalispell Montana earlier this week and just outran the front of the same snow storm as I made my way back South to Moapa Nevada. We should have all furnishings in the Montana Cabin in the next month or so, at which time we will hopefully join in the enjoyment of the snow experience. Next trip up taking the cross country skis and snow shoes.

Mustang

Love Life
12-01-2012, 02:21 AM
I haven't seen any snowshoe hares yet Quilbilly. I'm just happy to see a good snow. It was funny on the hump because at 7500 ft we were getting slushed on, and as we got higher we got snowed on, and during the descent we got slushed on again. We all had little snow piles on our packs.

I prefer to cross country ski in the Pickel Meadow area instead of the Mammoth/Tahoe tourist traps. Then in the summer we have all the little lakes around here. I made the mistake of going to Leavitt lake once...I will never do it again. What can I say? I love winter and snow. I do find it funny that some people here act like this area is the coldest place on earth. Spend a few winters in the frozen arctic north known as Minnesota. Now that place get cold.

@Gear-Snow is that flaky white stuff you see in cold places. I'm trying to remember if it ever snowed during the 8 years I spent in Texas and I don't think it did. I do remember wearing shorts on Christmas day though.

@Mustang-Coldest it has been here since I have been here was -20 one morning. Of course it had to be the morning of an awards formation. The dry cold out here is much nicer than the wet cold of Georgia.

Wow I have lived in way to many different places.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Hmm, here in NW Montana, its December 1 and its 45 degrees out, without a snowflake in sight in the valley
(maybe I shouldn't have said that ) Any good loads for "Murphy" :mrgreen:

MUSTANG
12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Love Life:

1. Been more than a decade since I made it up to Pickel Meadows. Got to find time to visit again.
2. Dry Cold/Wet Cold; seems the experts who have never been there will tell you it's the same. I'll tell you I have never felt colder than a couple of winter deployments to Korea. Winter weather coming off either the China Sea (Yellow Sea by Korean Perspective) or the Sea of Japan (East Sea by Korean Perspective). The U.S. service members who were in the North Korea pullout (Especially the US Marines) know first hand what brutal "Wet Cold" is. I have print 619 of 900 by Col Waterhouse of his painting entitled Eternal Band of Brothers, depicting the Marines fighting the rear guard action. Most art critics would criticize the composition, and uneducated might think the color is off, but the blue hue across the painting comes as close to conveying "Wet Cold" as I have ever seen.

Semper Fi

Mustang

Love Life
12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
If you ever get out to the area look me up. I was referring to the wet cold of the humid south east to the dry cold of here. To me here is much more tolerable than the south east. Plus this is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been in.

geargnasher
12-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I think I saw that white, flaky stuff on TV once, it falls from the sky, right?

Gear

quilbilly
12-01-2012, 03:51 PM
wet cold vs dry cold: 31 degrees and snowing on the Olympic peninsula is way way colder than 5 degrees and snowing in Ely, Nevada. That is why Roosevelt elk have to be bigger in body than Rocky Mtn. elk.

km101
12-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I have seen that white flaky stuff here in Texas a few times. It snows here about once every three or four years! Sometimes it lasts for 2 or even 3 days. The people here go Nuts! If we get 3-4 inches, schools close, businesses close, mayors ask thier citizens to stay home and stay off the highways! No one knows how to drive in it and there are record numbers of auto accidents! Snow is not a revered weather condition here in the North Texas area. Personally, I like it but I find that I am in the minority. :)

mjwcaster
12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Ix Tx not only do they not know how to drive, they don't how how to plow.
I was down there about 10 years ago in W. Texas (Paducah) and they had snow and ice.
County had 2 snow plows on dump trucks. The plows looked brand new.
One driver was scared to get his dirty so he flew it in the air over the snow, the other only knew how to plow a furrow, one end of the plow was digging into the road, sparks flying.

Matt

starmac
12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
LOL Texas generally goes by the, God puts it there he will take it away theory. lol

The longest I have ever been stuck anywhere because of snow, was in north carolina, southern states just do not have the equipment for a good size snow.

We put my son on a plane bound for houston last night. It was 35 below when he left here, he was probably sweating before the plane landed in houston. lol

Love Life
12-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Snow in the south east= day off.

Crawdaddy
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Maybe it will make it to me. We have only had an inch this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

quilbilly
12-02-2012, 11:52 PM
With that chinook wind melting it an raining on it, I hope you aren't living on the floodplain of the Walker R.

Love Life
12-03-2012, 12:45 AM
We are good where our house is at. I'll get to see how the river looks tomorrow.

Harter66
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Love life,
Over the hill south of you we barely got wet enough to hold the sand down.
At work this morning the 5ton stake trucks were perched on 2" "pylons" behind a foot plus ofblow sand. I lost 30-40 shingles and 20ft of fence, and I think the TV dish is somewhere between Gabbs and Austin. It blew 35-45 w/gusts to 65 in the valley from about 8 am till 3 pm.

Gear,
It was sort of amusing starting the stake truck this morning............... whoosh dust cloud followed by cold start diesel smoke. Swept the sand off the windshield . Probably more like your storms than LL's.

None the worse for wear. I did get 8-900 Boolits lubed. It'll take a day or so to get the sand out of the trucks,bike,and garage.