PDA

View Full Version : $18 to ship a brick of 22s?

Jim
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I was looking for CCI 22-Quiet ammo. Of the vendors that had it, Midway was $2 less than everybody else. Fine, get out the card and go to check-out. The 'review order' page came up and they wanted to charge me $18 to ship a twenty something dollars brick of ammo.

I deleted the order and logged out. I called my LGS and ordered it through them. They'll put it on their next order and I won't have an $18 shipping fee to pay for.

I'm 'bout done with Larry. I just sent him the following email:

Please forward this to Mr. Potterfield-

I went to several online vendors looking for CCI 22-Quiet ammunition. Midway was $2 less than those that had it in stock. I put a 500 round brick of it in my cart and proceeded to check-out. When the 'review order' page came up, it showed a shipping charge of $18!! That's ridiculous. I'm not paying you $18 to ship a product that costs barely more than that.

Don't worry, I won't be bothering y'all any more. I've been buying from Midway for years, but from now on, I'll order my supplies through my local gun shop. They won't try to rob me.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-30-2012, 05:14 PM
shipping is just a fit! Maybe they figure in handling or just are jacking up the prices in a way you don't notice until you check out. A lot of places are like that online.

bobthenailer
11-30-2012, 05:24 PM
they would of fit in a USPS small FR box for $5.15

Silvercreek Farmer
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
When making a decent size order I routinely build the same basket of goods at Midway, Natchez, Grafs, and maybe Midsouth and Wiedners and just compare the final price. Natchez and Grafs win the business usually. Midway hasn't won one yet. There is always an item or two that are higher, but I would lose big time trying to order things seperately. For one offs, I usually pick them up at one of the LGS, avoids hazmat, and keeps them in business in the event I need something in a hurry. If it wasn't for shipping costs, many retailers would probably go out of business!

PS Paul
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Support your local retailers. They often do more for you than just price-matching like actually TALK to you? of show appreciation for your business? Of course, they ain't all good (several poor ones, in fact), but the good ones do often attempt and even succeed in making your shopping experience worthwhile. Just sayin' cuz that's what I run- a locaally-owned Independent retailer who does strive to show appreciation!

Love Life
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
My online orders go to Grafs 95% of the time. Sometimes Midway USA has items others don't. I agree with you Jim. That $18.00 for shipping is bogus.

Jim
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think a brick would fit in a small FRB, but a medium FRB is just over $11. I would not have minded that.

Smitty's Retired
11-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I believe Midway only uses UPS on ammo orders. I've had the same experience Jim. That's why I usually do the same as you did. Your local dealer will usually include it in an order he is usually making at least monthly from his wholesaler. Comes out better in the pocketbook for sure.

possom813
11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
From what I've learned, live ammunition, powder, primers cannot be shipped via USPS, they must go through another courier service.

My local FedEx refuses to ship any of it, and I don't have a local UPS store.

The last time I shipped ammo was several years ago, when our FedEx would still ship it for me. It cost me $14 to ship two boxes of .45.

So, I personally don't think the shipping is too outrageous, but I usually buy a few hundred dollars worth of reloading supplies as well when I have to order online.

Another thought, if the box of ammo was less than $25, I believe they add $3 or $5 to the order for processing or something along those lines.

Jim
11-30-2012, 06:21 PM
From what I've learned, live ammunition, powder, primers cannot be shipped via USPS, they must go through another courier service.
My local FedEx refuses to ship any of it, and I don't have a local UPS store.

The last time I shipped ammo was several years ago, when our FedEx would still ship it for me. It cost me $14 to ship two boxes of .45.

So, I personally don't think the shipping is too outrageous, but I usually buy a few hundred dollars worth of reloading supplies as well when I have to order online.

Another thought, if the box of ammo was less than $25, I believe they add $3 or $5 to the order for processing or something along those lines.

To my knowledge, Midway has NEVER used USPS. It doesn't matter, I'm done with 'em.

possom813
11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
they would of fit in a USPS small FR box for $5.15

I don't think a brick would fit in a small FRB, but a medium FRB is just over $11. I would not have minded that.

To my knowledge, Midway has NEVER used USPS. It doesn't matter, I'm done with 'em.

I was just putting the information out there. It was mentioned a couple of times about it fitting in a flat rate box.

tomme boy
11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Midway now uses what they call Mail Innovations. It starts out UPS then ends with USPS. What really bites is when it is handed over to USPS, it will sit for 3-4 days before it starts to move again. So watch out for that if anyone offers it for shipping.

Don't forget that Brownells now carries everything that Midway does. They bought out Sinclaire so that is now all at one place.

williamwaco
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Jim,

Midwayusa is getting "religion".

Before I retired, I managed the shipping system for a very large computer hardware company. We shipped upwards of 3,000 computers a day all over the country.

We made more money on freight than on the product.

Midway can do that easily.

They are actually paying less than half of the freight company's published charges. We paid only 30% of the published charge for UPS and FEX Most of our orders were upwards of 75 pounds. That was a lot of freight charge ---> AND we charged the customer the complete published rate. We occasionally made as much as $100 on the freight charge on an overnight shipment.

I expect Midway is keeping around 12 of that $18 in their pocket. I expect their profit on that brick of 22's was no more than $5.

I have noticed that kind of freight charge appearing on some other sites recently.

Bad Water Bill
11-30-2012, 07:10 PM
When they added on to Midway they installed a UPS office there and UPS gives MIDWAY a discount on all of their shipments IIRC.

As far as their new services, they drive right by my home to get to the Post Office where the package sits for an extra day or two.

longhorn
11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
We're a UPS shipping point, small of course, and actually get charged approximately $12 for a 1 lb package shipped in Texas or surrounding states if it goes to a residential address. You can moan about shipping costs, but I'll bet they don't go down, and shipping/handling charges sure don't make any money for us.....

Blacksmith
11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
CMP sell .22 ammunition and their shipping charge per Case (10 Bricks) is $24.95 anywhere in the continental US. The shipping for 200 rounds of .30-06 ammo is $9.95 in cardboard boxes and $11.95 in surplus ammo cans. They ship FedEx ground.

kenyerian
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
over the years I have bought a lot of Mail Order items but I find myself just getting it at the local gunshop now. Yes you have to pay sales tax and the prices are slightly higher but no shipping costs, you can inspect it before you pay for it and over all it's usually cheaper when you consider everything. I only have one small order from Midway this year.

Buckshot
12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
.........I always comparison shop. I placed and order with Graf & Son 2 days ago. Between Graf's and Midway the 6 articles were $2 cheaper TOTAL at Midway. Checking the "Estimate Postage" at Midway it was $13.97. At Graff it was $6.00. So in order to save myself about $6 I ordered from Graf & Son. Now if you leave stuff in your shopping cart at Midway, you'll usually get an e-mail in a day or so from customer service wondering if there was a problem?

I replied to their query, "I ordered at Graf & Son. Prices were within $2 total. However your shipping charge was $7 more."

Best,
Rick

...............Buckshot

Jim
12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
.........I always comparison shop. I placed and order with Graf & Son 2 days ago. Between Graf's and Midway the 6 articles were $2 cheaper TOTAL at Midway. Checking the "Estimate Postage" at Midway it was $13.97. At Graff it was $6.00. So in order to save myself about $6 I ordered from Graf & Son. Now if you leave stuff in your shopping cart at Midway, you'll usually get an e-mail in a day or so from customer service wondering if there was a problem?

I replied to their query, "I ordered at Graf & Son. Prices were within $2 total. However your shipping charge was $7 more."

Best,
Rick

...............Buckshot

The prosecution rests.

MT Gianni
12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I ordered some camper vents from an outfit near Houston. I paid $13.50 for shipping, Fed-Ex. My cost to return them as I ordered the wrong ones? $58, more than I paid with shipping. They don't taste good but I will eat them. Some large shippers pay a very different amount for the same service than smaller ones do.

Ickisrulz
12-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Palmetto State Armory, IMO, is the site to order rimfire ammo from. For 10 boxes of the CCI Quiet it runs $29.95 plus $7 to ship. I get my Blazer from them for $200 plus $20 shipping for 5250 rounds--right to my door with no gas expenditures on my part.

Wayne Smith
12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Shopping local is fine if they can get what you need. My local shop has had 2400 on order the last three times and has gotten none. Not sure what's happening.

44man
12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your business! :violin:

lead-1
12-01-2012, 03:34 PM

I went to several online vendors looking for CCI 22-Quiet ammunition. Midway was $2 less than those that had it in stock. I put a 500 round brick of it in my cart and proceeded to check-out. When the 'review order' page came up, it showed a shipping charge of $18!! That's ridiculous. I'm not paying you $18 to ship a product that costs barely more than that.

Don't worry, I won't be bothering y'all any more. I've been buying from Midway for years, but from now on, I'll order my supplies through my local gun shop. They won't try to rob me.

Heres the response;

Jim,
Larry here, Thank you for pointing out our mistake, we have adjusted our price accordingly. The price of a brick of CCI Quiet is now $4 higher to be more competitive in the market.

Thanks again for your keen eye.

WILCO
12-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Good job voting with your wallet Jim. It works everytime.

smokeywolf
12-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Jim, don't know what their shipping is on bricks, but free shipping on any case of bulk ammo.
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-3345-cci-quiet-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-ammunition.aspx
They're in Farmington, CT
Being that local gun shops are practically a thing of the past here in libland, I think I'm going to try them on for a case of Blazers.

smokeywolf

smokeywolf
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Scratch that on Target Sport USA.

Thanks Ickisrulz, I just ordered a case of Blazers from Palmetto State Armory. FREE SHIPPING!!!

smokeywolf

frkelly74
12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
So they raised the price on the ammo because you complained??? Is that what I saw in print there?? What a sarcastic individual. It looks like they have enough business and don't need more.

imashooter2
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
So they raised the price on the ammo because you complained??? Is that what I saw in print there?? What a sarcastic individual. It looks like they have enough business and don't need more.

That was not a response from Midway. That was lead-1's attempt at humor/sarcasm.

Jim
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
That was not a response from Midway. That was lead-1's attempt at humor/sarcasm.

That's why I ignored it.

L1A1Rocker
12-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm 'bout done with Larry. I just sent him the following email:

That's probably the best way to get through to Midway that they are loosing business. I might just try that.

frkelly74
12-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I misunderstood obviously. Pardon my jumping in when I shouldn't have.

HangFireW8
12-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Don't forget that Brownells now carries everything that Midway does. They bought out Sinclaire so that is now all at one place.

Previously I would have scoffed at such comments, but one thing the Brownell's vs. Midway lawsuit has done has gotten Brownell's attention that they now have a competitor!

I used to ignore Brownell's/Sinclair unless they were the only game in town for the item I wanted, but recently I wanted some reloading items and just for grins added Sinclair to my list of comparisons. They actually beat out Midway on pricing, and shipping, both!

Then I ordered from Natchez, because they beat both. Natchez, Graf and MidSouth get most of my business. I generally order from Midway only when they have stuff in stock that other's don't, and I need it ASAP (it happens).

HF

lead-1
12-03-2012, 06:30 AM
OOPS! I guess I should've added some kind of funny face thing.

Yes, that was supposed to be a sarcastic/joke reply from Midway. I think that the arragance that comes from there the last several years, it wouldn't supprise me for them to pull just that. JMO.

Bad Water Bill
12-03-2012, 07:03 AM
I find it interesting that they make a big deal about all of the money HE donates to the N R A .

IIRC it was you and me that rounded up our purchase price on each purchase that created that fund.

Do not get me wrong, I will keep on rounding up BUT it never was nor is HIS money.

Wayne Smith
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
OOPS! I guess I should've added some kind of funny face thing.

Yes, that was supposed to be a sarcastic/joke reply from Midway. I think that the arragance that comes from there the last several years, it wouldn't supprise me for them to pull just that. JMO.

Yeah, but I wouldn't expect him to admit it! That was the giveaway for me.

smokemjoe
12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I shipped 100 rds. of loaded 7.5x55 to Wash.. UPS, 6 lbs. about $20.00, I paid $5.00 of it as It was to much I figured.

historicfirearms
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
The last two orders that I had in my cart at Midway didn't get paid for when I saw their high shipping costs. Instead Grafs got one of my orders and Titan Reloading got the other. Grafs doesn't have everything that Midway does, but I bet if enough people migrate over to them they will be able to provide a better selection. By the way, the order that I placed through Grafs got lost by Fedex. The customer service at Grafs is top notch, they helped out every way they could. Titan Reloading is also a great place to buy Lee products.

pdawg_shooter
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I quit Midway several years ago for just this reason. They still send my flyers every month, they go directly into file 13. I had shopped Midway for over 20 years now Gaff gets my money.

imashooter2
12-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I got 2 bricks of Eley Sport sent in May for $14 and change. Had 100 pieces of brass and some other low weight items on the order too. If I add those same 2 bricks to the cart today and get an estimate it's $15.31. Not cheap, but certainly not out of line.

Jim's order was small and he was unhappy with the shipping charge. He canceled the order and told Midway why as was his right. Who amongst us hasn't been appalled by $6 to ship a $1 spring?

His experience doesn't sway my opinion of the company or my willingness or unwillingness to buy from them. I simply price things out and make my decision on final cost before I hit the place order button. I thought everyone with a lick of sense did the same.

M-Tecs
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I had stopped using Midway due to the shipping costs but a couple of years ago I needed something that only Midway had in stock. I did some research and found coupon codes. Since I have started using the coupon codes I always get 10% to 15% off. It’s a pain and you have to wait until the codes are offered but on larger orders with the codes they have been the cheapest.

Jim
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I ordered a brick of the CCI 22-Quiet from my LGS. $30. I got it for $12 less than what it would have cost me buying it from Laughin' Larry and the profit is in my home town. And just before I walked out, he told me "Jim, if you can wait a week or ten days, call me and let me know what you need. I'm constantly ordering stuff for other people and I can throw yours on the list."

Works for me.

L1A1Rocker
12-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, I decided to buy a pair of electronic earmuffs for a Christmas gift. After doing comparison shopping I did not go with Midway but left them in my shopping cart. I wonder if they'll ask me about it...

hiram1
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
That is how thay keep the poor Poor rip us off when thay can .And thay will.and do.

jcwit
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Remember also guys they were/are instrumental in the "Round Up Program" and have so far donated $7,615,076 to the NRA/ILA, I have no idea however how much was actually from Midway USA tho.

oneokie
12-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Remember also guys they were/are instrumental in the "Round Up Program" and have so far donated $7,615,076 to the NRA/ILA, I have no idea however how much was actually from Midway USA tho.

Many of the mail order outfits also have the NRA round-up.

My last order from Midway was rounded up the amount to make it an even dollar amount, PLUS another whole dollar. They will probably never see another penny from me.

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Since we have no idea how much is actually collected we have no idea how much actually goes to the NRA.

Undoubtedly many $ are COLLECTED but why does he list it as his gift to the NRA?

jcwit
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Its my understanding Midway/ Larry started the Roundup Program, and has helped the shooting sports immensely.

WOW in todays money a single dollar and change is THAT important?

jcwit
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Since we have no idea how much is actually collected we have no idea how much actually goes to the NRA.

Undoubtedly many $ are COLLECTED but why does he list it as his gift to the NRA?

Probably because he's the one collecting it and the one transferring funds it to the NRA. The other companies involved in the Roundup Program do the same.

Frankly I believe its an excellant program, and helps all of us.

I doubt he's skimming any of the funds for himself, but then I do not have an audit of his business either.

Ickisrulz
12-08-2012, 11:17 PM
I simply price things out and make my decision on final cost before I hit the place order button. I thought everyone with a lick of sense did the same.

This is usually the "take away" from these "MidwayUSA's Shipping Prices Are Too High" recurring threads. Midway has the best selection and good prices on lots of stuff. Shop around and go with the best bottom line on a case-by-case basis; unless you are spiteful.

smokeywolf
12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Just had to send a nastygram to Palmetto State Armory. Ordered a case of 22 Blazers over a week ago. They were supposedly "in stock" when I placed the order. They haven't shipped yet. Told them to "ship or get off the pot"; ship the order or cancel it.

smokeywolf

Ickisrulz
12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Just had to send a nastygram to Palmetto State Armory. Ordered a case of 22 Blazers over a week ago. They were supposedly "in stock" when I placed the order. They haven't shipped yet. Told them to "ship or get off the pot"; ship the order or cancel it.

smokeywolf

PSA is not known for being the fastest shipper. However, I think a lot of places are swamped now. I know it took longer than a week for me to get orders shipped from both Grafs and High Tech Ammo.

Come to think of it....MidwayUSA is known for shipping orders out fast.

jcwit
12-09-2012, 05:01 PM

smokeywolf

Did you notice the bold red type statement asking for additional shipping time on their home page?

bobthenailer
12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
I wonder how long Laughing Larry holds on to our round up funds and if he possible makes any intrest on them ?

imashooter2
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I wonder how long Laughing Larry holds on to our round up funds and if he possible makes any intrest on them ?

Oh for crying out loud. You don't like the companies prices or shipping rates, fine. What indication do you have that the NRA Roundup funds are administered in anything other than a straight up, honest and forthright manner? You are calling the man a thief. Where is your evidence?

209jones
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
You'd really cry about shipping if you had to bring across the border. With the dollar being about par now, exchange is a minimal item. However, USPS is the only good way to ship, as when it hits Canada Post, they only charge 5.00 for brokerage. I once ordered arrow rests from Golden Key, 10.00 worth of arrow rests, 18.00 worth of UPS fees. Refused the shipment. UPS or Fedex both like to tack on brokerage fees, minimum is around 18-20.00, the there is a shipment value added as a percentage.
And of course, now there is the ITAR regs in the US to contend with. The vendor, and the mfgr have to have export licences. Graf's and Brownell's/Sinclair have export licences, but, have to apply for export permits for ammo, brass,bullets and anything that attaches to a gun that is over 100.00 ( that may be going up to 500.00 on the gun parts). That part of it is a gong show.

Unless it is domething we cannot get here, or it's on sale for at least 1/3 off, it isn't worth ordering down there

smokeywolf
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
jcwit,
Did you notice the bold red type statement asking for additional shipping time on their home page?

Nope, didn't notice it.
Although, I usually expect shipping within 3 business days from any business. My wife ships anywhere from 5 to 50 parcels per day; usually within 1 business day, never more than 4. She does this from her office here at home, and pretty much all by her lonesome. In my thinking, for an outfit that undoubtedly has commercial level material handling and packaging equipment, 6 business days is excessive.

Next time, I'll make allowance for their slow shipping.

smokeywolf

jcwit
12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
At one time earlier in my life I was a salesman then later a procurement officer for Coachmen Industries, their parts and accessories division. We shipped much our orders via our own trucks however we shipped many individual orders vis UPS, usually 2 to 5 thousand a day. Needless to say it got hecktic at times. This was back in the 70's.