PDA

View Full Version : 30 HBC 06 loads?

lar45
07-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi, did anybody ever come up with a good 06 load for the 30 HBC.
I forgot I had one, but found it yesterday when looking for a different mold. I cast some nice frosty ones with water dropped WW and thought I'd take them out for a trip to the range.
I still need to epoxy one of the top punches to fit the nose. What's a good release agent for the bullet nose? I have some mold prep spray. ??

stocker
07-23-2005, 03:12 PM
lar45: I've adapted several nose punches using Marine Tex for the forming material and simply giving the boolit a good even coat of Johnson's paste wax - same as used when bedding rifles. The Marine Tex is pretty tough stuff. I scratch some circular grooves with the tooth from a carbide saw blade (epoxy it into a handle) inside the existing nose punch to improve the grip by the filler, then clean thoroughly with acetone or brake cleaner and fill and mate the two pieces. Allow about 10 hours for set up and let sit for a couple of days to fully cure the Marine Tex. Other materials such as J-B Weld or Devcon should also work.

Maineboy
07-23-2005, 05:00 PM
The HBC seems to work fine for me if I keep the velocity down. I shot it alot in my scope sighted M70 when the mould was first delivered. Groups would stay around 2" at 100 yards with relatively light loads but opened up when the velocity increased. For instance, 57 grains of 5010, which I estimate at close to 2000 fps, were around 6 inches, but 9 grains of Unique would do 2 inches, sometimes a bit better.
My only chronographed load was 16 grains of 2400 in my 03A3 and it put 5 in 2 3/8" at 100 yards, velocity was 1447 with a SD of 41.5.