PDA

View Full Version : Rough bullet surface after Star lubing

NuJudge
06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I bought a very lightly used Star off eBay. I think one lube stick may have been run through it, as there is no significant wear on the blueing

It came set up with a .357 die and a push rod cut for round nose bullets. Pushing 9mm round nose bullets base first, they come out rather roughly sized, far more so than from my Lyman sizer.

Is this normal? Magma's website indicates that Leading may be a problem.

Also, I have a LOT of bulk Beeswax/Alox, and I want to set up a mold for lube. What diameter and length should I use for the Star?

CDD

garandsrus
06-20-2007, 10:40 PM
NuJudge,

What do you mean by "roughly sized"? Is the diameter not consistent or something else?

John

454PB
06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd suggest you inspect the interior of that die carefully. It may have rust or corrosion, but it would surprise me to see a rough finish in a Star sizing die. If it has leading, it should be obvious.

As to the lube, it's easier to just melt and pour it in.

Springfield
06-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Some 1" by 4" PVC pipe makes a good lube mould. Maybe you should try nose first sizing, that's what Stars are good at.

Yance
06-23-2007, 08:00 AM
I bought a very lightly used Star off eBay. I think one lube stick may have been run through it, as there is no significant wear on the blueing

It came set up with a .357 die and a push rod cut for round nose bullets. Pushing 9mm round nose bullets base first, they come out rather roughly sized, far more so than from my Lyman sizer.

Is this normal? Magma's website indicates that Leading may be a problem.

Also, I have a LOT of bulk Beeswax/Alox, and I want to set up a mold for lube. What diameter and length should I use for the Star?

CDD

NuJudge;

What 454PB said about the lube is the way to go. That's one of the nice things about the Star, you con't have to mold lube sticks with holes for the feed screw.

So far as the "rough" finish is concerned... I had a machinist friend working with me on some less expensive "custom" dies, (modified entry angles for easier sizing of gas checked designs nose first). A couple were slightly rough so I VERY LIGHTLY embedded 400 grit Silicon Carbide in a few bullets just like you'd firelap a barrel. I ran those through repeatedly until they offered almost no resistance, then VERY LIGHTLY recharged them until I was satisfied with my final finish.

If you have access to, or are willing to buy finer grit abrasives, and spend a little time, you can acomplish a "mirror" finish on you bullets if so desired. I'm happy with round bullets of correct diameter with a slightly "dull" finish.

That Star is a wonderful piece of equipment. (I have 2) Just hope you have enough "gang" moulds to keep it fed.<G>

EDK
07-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I had a problem with a piece of shot in one on the lube holes in the sizer die. I thought it was plugged properly--looked good when inspecting--and lube pressure would push it out and scratch the bullet. I finally put a small ball hone in the lathe tail stock chuck and chucked the die in the 3 jaw and did some serious honing.

The little stuff will sometimes drive you crazier!

:redneck:

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2007, 05:05 AM
like edk said the shot can cause it. Also ive had star dies that were a tad on the rough side but running a few hundred gas checked bullets through them will smoothen them up a little.

44woody
07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Nujudge the easy way to do lube sticks for the star is to get yo 10 pieces of pvc with a inside die. of 1 inch and get 10 end caps screw the caps to a board spaced out a inch or two get a tea pot from your local Chinese restaurant they are great for making alox/bees wax lube in you can keep the water out when you are melting you lube up then pour in the moulds let harden and push it out with a 1in dowel rod role your sticks of lube in aluminum foil to protect store in a cool dry place and it will be good to go when you need it :castmine: 44Woody

txpete
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
on my star .358 die had a problem once(like above) with my soft 148 gr wc's having a ridge on them after going through the sizer.it was the lead shot I used for plugging up the holes on the die.I used magnum shot which was alot harder that the soft alloy I was using for the wc's.
I used my lewis lead remover afew times through the die with a brass screen and all was fine.
another point on my using my star sizing "fat" bullets.I alway start off first with a lubed bullets before sizing unsized bullets.this leaves a trace of lube down the sizing die.with the star sometimes the first few bullets are not getting enough lube until the adjustments are made on the the punch.yes you can lead a sizing die with the lack of lube.been there done that:-D .
hope this helps
pete