PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some venison....

boltons75
11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
After opening day seeing a big group of does and fawns, and passing on the shot in hope for a buck to be following I've seen not a one till today. I've hunted all but three days this year, and was getting quite depressed. Well this year and a half old and her fawn came running through at 10:30 this morning. 54888
Now I have my state land doe permit filled and have one last days to look for horns. Cooking the inner, "tender", loins up with onions and mushrooms right now. I'm amazed at the amount of people that disregard this delicious part of the deer...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rush1886
11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
deer, elk, moose, even bovines fo that matter--neglecting the "tenders" should be a hanging offense!! RUSH

boltons75
11-29-2012, 08:04 PM
I have had so many processors look at me funny when I call the back straps, back straps instead of tender loins. When they ask if I want the loins in steaks, I say nope, already at the tender loins, but trees steak the back straps. It's why I process most of my own. I'll only take em in if I don't have the time. So many people just leave them in and they dry out in no time. But, mmm, they are delicious.

gbrown
11-29-2012, 11:12 PM
What really gets my goat is that the State of Texas says that the only meat required to be taken from a deer is the 2 shoulders, 2 hams, and backstraps. The rest can be thrown away!!! What a waste!!! I have seen the carcasses of deer in ditches and other places where only this was taken. The first deer I shot was taken to a processor, it was the last. After my dad got through chewing on me, he and I processed all that we took. I just got through processing a deer. I got some 15 to 20 pounds of meat off the neck, backbone, rib and pelvic areas. I always remove the tenderloin when quartering the deer. That makes some nice stir-fry. I ended up with about 70 pounds of venison by the time I got through. Takes time, but to waste what God has given us is a sin in my mind. As the old folks would say--"Waste not, want not."

Bad Water Bill
11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I had an interesting talk with a processor this spring. "I never mention the loins as most folks do not know what they are or where they are at. They are ALL MINE."

Can you imagine being FORCED to eat them every day?:bigsmyl2:

boltons75
11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Can you imagine being FORCED to eat them every day?:bigsmyl2:

That would be tragic:eek:

Beerd
11-30-2012, 07:52 PM
70 pounds of meat sounds like a HUGE deer to me. If I get 50 I consider it a big 'un.

gbrown
11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
70 pounds of meat sounds like a HUGE deer to me. If I get 50 I consider it a big 'un.

He was a spike--that's what I shot at. When on the ground, he had 2 points on the right, with 2 points (less than an inch) knocked off. On the left, the main beam was knocked off less than a 1/2 inch to the spike I saw, with 2 points (less than an inch) knocked off. I measured the width of the main beam and it was over 13 inches (Texas E.Tx rules). Checked by Game Warden and he had me mark my license for 13 inch (1 per county). 4 or 5 years of age. 35 # of ground meat, 30 # of meat for 1/2--1/2 sausage (venison/pork) and about 5-10 # backstrap/tenderloin. I was going to load him and gut/quarter at camp. Couldn't. Field dressed him and loaded him, with a lot of effort. He was big! Glad to get him and going up to lease tomorrow to try to shoot a spike. As my signature says, no exageration, it is what it is.