PDA

View Full Version : Got my firewood!

bearcove
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Have about 7 cords in the yard still have to cut some it's in 4-5 ft pieces at least. About half is cut and stacked.

All of its off the mountain! 9500 ft is thin air for me. But boy, the truck does coast home with a 2 cord load on the trailer!

JeffinNZ
11-28-2012, 10:25 PM
The good thing about cutting and stacking wood is you get warm TWICE. Once moving it. Once buring it.

bearcove
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Morning chore is cut a tank of gas in the saw, then stack.

Biggest problem is its hot in the house then, and I have to go out and work on the boat.

Freightman
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I have that much cut and stacked and the weather is "HOT" 70-80's still have roses and Hibiscus blooming when we should have at least a little snow. O- well it will be good for next year, have some that has been cut for four years good and dry.

Crawdaddy
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I started buying mine. Had all I needed in mid-summer. The guy I have been buying from the last few years knows I will purchase most any time. He comes by unannounced when he is short on money. I got full cords for 100 bucks. I cant go to the forest and cut it for that price.

km101
11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I've got about 20 sticks in the rack, but they are supposed to deliver a cord tomorrow! My days of cutting, splitting and stacking are over! I still have one little 16" saw for trimming and yard work, but no more serious wood cutting. I remember how good a fire felt as a kid, when I had cut the wood, but it seems to feel just as good now when all I have to do is move it from the wood box to the fireplace! But burning wood here has gotten expensive! I just paid $200 for a cord and that was a "deal." I remember selling wood 45 years ago for $15-20 per cord. Ahh the good old days! :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
I started buying mine. Had all I needed in mid-summer. The guy I have been buying from the last few years knows I will purchase most any time. He comes by unannounced when he is short on money. I got full cords for 100 bucks. I cant go to the forest and cut it for that price.

Craw,
I have a similar arrangement with a disabled old timer. I cut up trees on and off all year around, depending on what opportunities I have. When I get to splitting it, I fill one trailer with goofy shaped pieces that don't stack well. I keep and stack all the nice straight pieces for myself and season them outside for a year or so. This old timer always takes whatever I bring him and it's always green. Depending on how much softwood is mixed in, I usually ask for $40 or $50 per 8' pickup box load...he usually pays me $60 or $80. Of course I usually help his wife unload it and sometimes help put it in his basement.
Jon

RED333
11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
We have a deal with a tree surgeon, when they are in the area He brings it to the house.
Logs are 8 to 12 feet long, 6" to 24" dia. Saves Him a dump fee.
Pile is 15 foot high and close to 30 feel across.

Mal Paso
11-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Just finished filling the woodshed before this storm began. Mostly Live and Tan Oak here and has to be split. So far enough wood falls on the road every year to keep us well supplied. Helps lower the fuel load for fire season too. This year I made a flexible exhaust for the log-splitter. I can't take the exhaust fumes any more.

I'm somewhere between travel, cut, haul and having it delivered and stacked.

We're in the middle of a 5 day Pacific storm. I got 600 #503s cast yesterday so I wouldn't feel guilty and started this morning sorting Saw Chain. 28 loops were hanging on the shop wall. I picked 15 for the grinder and sprayed them with easy-off. I sharpened 550 cutters and ground 508 rakers. 10 loops of 24" 5 loops of 14". Hope it's enough to last a year..........Shouldn't of said that, Wind just picked up.

B R Shooter
11-30-2012, 08:00 AM
I bought a couple small loads of wood a month ago. With the issues I've had with my arms and the effects from statins, I couldn't cut any. But I have a few cords stacked from last year, but it won't be enough, I'll have to pay out the nose at some point.

km101
12-02-2012, 01:07 AM
My wood was delivered yesterday. It's 76 degrees today and supposed to be 80 tomorrow. It may be a while before I light a fire!

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 01:27 AM
I just got the flue put up today for the new living room, just in time for a balmy 68-degree evening. Still have a cord and a half of split live oak from last year. There's a younger fellow I know who's dad owns a lot of property covered in dead live oaks from the oak wilt (some from the '80s and still good firewood) and he brings me a pickup load cut to my spec, split, and piled high and stacks it for $90 any time I need it. I'm 37 and as long as he offers the service my cutting/hauling/splitting days are over.

Gear

smoked turkey
12-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I made a 3-point wood rack for my Massey 235 tractor. That and the front bucket will hold a fair amount of wood. I have some already cut back in the woods. Today I made two trips to haul in some. I will have to cut up a few long pieces and I'll try to get to that tomorrow. I then put it in the stair well to the basement. It will hold about 3/4 cord. Winter will be here soon and I need some for the little Ashley in the basement.

Mal Paso
12-02-2012, 12:59 PM
+1 for Tractors

I'm 60. I love to cut and don't mind splitting but moving wood is for kids or tractors.

I'm Burning My Firewood! It's raining, can't see the ocean much less the next ridge and the trees are dancing in the wind.

mold maker
12-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Here the city wont take ashes in the trash, and I have no garden. What do the rest of you city folks do with ashes??

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Here the city wont take ashes in the trash, and I have no garden. What do the rest of you city folks do with ashes??

As long as I don't burn trash (only firewood), a local veggie farmer picks up all my woodstove ashes. he uses them as "organic" cabbage looper defense on all his plants that the looper likes to eat.
Jon

bearcove
12-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I just got the flue put up today for the new living room, just in time for a balmy 68-degree evening. Still have a cord and a half of split live oak from last year. There's a younger fellow I know who's dad owns a lot of property covered in dead live oaks from the oak wilt (some from the '80s and still good firewood) and he brings me a pickup load cut to my spec, split, and piled high and stacks it for $90 any time I need it. I'm 37 and as long as he offers the service my cutting/hauling/splitting days are over.

Gear

Come on, You are going to give up the oldest tradition because its cheap. I'm going back up to 9500 ft in the Jemez tommorow just so the kids can load a bit in the pickup and we can walkabout and look for deer.
Rod

375RUGER
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I got mine from the sawmill this year. $40-80/cord depending on which form I choose and it's a lot closer than going to the mountains. I prefer to go cut in the mountains when I have time though.

Revolver
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I waited too long this year and couldn't find any wood under $265/cord green. Finally found some crackheads that sold me some seasoned wood really cheap. I won't wait this long again.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I waited too long this year and couldn't find any wood under $265/cord green. Finally found some crackheads that sold me some seasoned wood really cheap. I won't wait this long again.

Gives a whole new meaning to "hot" wood!

I cut up a massive red oak 3 years ago that I am still burning my way through. Probably got over 8 cords out of that tree. Only need 2 cords or so to get us through the winter.

bearcove
12-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Bag it, put in a box, and put it in trash. The NO ASHES is to keep from getting hot ashes with coals in them and starting fires. Let them sit in a bucket for a few days before throwing away.

geargnasher
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
It got down to a crisp 41 this evening, so I finally lit the torch. Now I have all the windows open! We's gonna be toasty this winter!

Gear

Boondocker
12-06-2012, 01:36 AM
I burnt wood for 18 yrs and as long as i could find places to cut it for free or reasonable. It got harder to find sense more people are using it in harder times. Now i burn 4 ton of coal a yr. Much easier sense my kids moved out lol. Tend it twice a day and my wife don;t have to mess with while i am gone 14 to 15 hrs a day tho she knows how to tend it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2