PDA

View Full Version : BP and static test

omgb
06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know the link to the web site that carries the test that was done to prove the BP cannot be ignited by a static discharge?

Finn45
06-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Here's one:
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

jhalcott
06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
HMMM!! Makes me wonder about a story where a guy had a silk scarf holding up his leather boots. It was a breezy day and the scarf was flapping about his shin area. He laid his wrists over the muzzle while talking to another flinter. Suddenly the gun went off ,sending the ball thru his wrists. I've always wondered about this tale ! True or false??. I've seen a few guys rest on their muzzles, even with center fire guns. According to the story the source of ignition was static from the silk rubbing the leather.

fishhawk
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
there was also a mythbusters show about static and BP they didn't get it to go off with static either

waksupi
06-20-2007, 08:22 PM
If you are leaning on the muzzle of any firearm, you may be an idiot.

45nut
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
If you are leaning on the muzzle of any firearm, you may be an idiot.

thats almost worthy of it's own thread.

You may be an idiot if:

[smilie=1:

Harpman
06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Did you all see the one when Gomer was leaning on his shotgun and had the barrel in his mouth, Andy said GOMER get that gun outa yur mouth !.was hillarious.

waksupi
06-20-2007, 10:12 PM
If you have ever said, "It ain't loaded," and it went off, you may be an idiot.

omgb
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I shoot skeet and have little patience for the guys at the club who shoot trap. Generally, but not always by any means, they are a grim, self-important group. They have a habit that really chaps my fanny. They love to buy these toe guards and then place the muzzle of their gun on that guard and lean down on the butt between rounds. That's just sloppy gun handling in my book and an excellent invitation to disaster.

longhorn
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I saw a fellow completely ruin a nice pair of calfskin boots once with a little 20ga Browning at a dove shoot. Didn't do those last 2 toes on his right foot any good, either. Wonder if he limps?

KCSO
06-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Sorry Static won't set off B/P it doesn't get hot enough. I tired this and compared notes with Doc and it just won't work. Somewhere I have a photo of me trying to light a pile of FFFg with 50,000 volts in a stun gun, and no go. I have also used a crank generator and a static generator and no go. What static will set off is dust, any dust. That is why flour millsand powder milling operations go up. What some one has done is to equate dust with powder and they aren't the same. Take an ounce of powder and run and elictrical charge through it and nothing, put 1/2 teaspoon of flour in a can and shake well with air and that same spark makes a grand explosion. Seems i remember Mr. Wizard (God Bless Him) doing this in the 50's. But this doesn't me be careless with powder as all cans of powder have dust in them.

By the way did you know that you don't need priming to shoot a flinter? Sparks from the frizzen of a good lock will set off a charge without priming about once every 50 shots. The SPARKS are actually red hot slices of the steel of the frizzen and will occasionally bounce into the touchhole and set off the gun.

Beerd
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
"By the way did you know that you don't need priming to shoot a flinter? Sparks from the frizzen of a good lock will set off a charge without priming about once every 50 shots. The SPARKS are actually red hot slices of the steel of the frizzen and will occasionally bounce into the touchhole and set off the gun."

Yup. Load with the frizzen closed, and if the touchhole is the right size the main charge will also charge the pan. Saves a step and comes in handy when firing a volley at close range.