PDA

View Full Version : Did I mess up

starmac
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
It sounds like I just traded for a 338 mag, savage 116.
The only magnum I have ever owned was a 22 mag cylinder for a revolver, and that was probably 38 years ago. lol
If I get the dreaded magnumitus, how bad is it to control. lol
At least it has the bolt on the left side, where it should be.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-28-2012, 01:37 AM
338 Win Mag?
I had one in a Ruger M77, the only thing I didn't like was the
full pound of powder to feed it 100 rounds:shock:

starmac
11-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Well I all ready had 120 empty brass and something like 700 bullets, I had picked up at an auction, sooo I guess I will need about 7 pounds of powder now huh.
I don't really see myself plinking much with it, but what the heck it's a lefty. lol
My son in law shoots a 338, and my son shoots left handed, and needs a good alaskan rifle, so I may or may not keep it, depending on how I like it.
I have always liked wood and blue, so this will be something new, I bought a plastic stock 22 and gave it away, we will just have to see how I like this thing, won't know for sure until tomorrow when I look at it and he looks at my pistol.

BruceB
11-28-2012, 02:30 AM
I bought a left-hand Savage 116 in .338 back around 2005 (I think). It had fired exactly six rounds since new, and the deal included the remaining 14 factory rounds in the first box.

The rifle is scary-accurate..... my very first attempt at a hunting handload saw three-shot Triple-X groups right around 1/2" or less from 100 yards.

The only problem I've encountered is that about twenty or so CAST-bullet loads have totally frozen the on-off brake in the "on" position. It has resisted some rather extreme attempts at freeing it, so I'll just live with it.

Nice rifle......I'm not really 'into' stainless and synthetic, but this rifle is working on my prejudices!

starmac
11-28-2012, 02:38 AM
If we trade I will see how well I like it. I have always carried a 300 savage, but everyone says it isn't very good bear medicine soo we'll try this bolt action and see.
I guess I lied about not owning magnums, I've owned 44 mags forever, and they never consumed me. lol

x101airborne
11-28-2012, 03:34 AM
The only problem I've encountered is that about twenty or so CAST-bullet loads have totally frozen the on-off brake in the "on" position. It has resisted some rather extreme attempts at freeing it, so I'll just live with it.

Hey Bruce... What does it mean "ffrozen the on-off brake". I dont know much about big bore rifles and guess I am not understanding what you mean. Thank you for explaining to a "noob". LOL.

AkMike
11-28-2012, 04:15 AM
If I get the dreaded magnumitus, how bad is it to control. lol

Forget that puny magnumitus stuff.. Wander down her and I'll get you hooked on NitroExpressitus! It's a lifelong affliction that is incureable.
Go Big or go home.

starmac
11-28-2012, 04:25 AM
It gets too cold down there. lol Well do them Nitroexpressitus guns come in lever action. lol

captaint
11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
I got one for ya... I'm at a gun show, 25 years ago, about. A guy has a like new Rem 700 Limited Classic - remember them ?? It's a 350 Rem Mag. Guy says man buys the rifle & ammo, takes it outside to their range, fires one round, takes it back inside and says - I need to trade this in on something else. So, I get a real nice rifle at a reasonable price. I really ought to shoot that thing one of these days. Maybe when I retire, I'll cast up some proper boolits, LOAD IT DOWN, and see how I like it. enjoy Mike

bearcove
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Hey Bruce... What does it mean "ffrozen the on-off brake". I dont know much about big bore rifles and guess I am not understanding what you mean. Thank you for explaining to a "noob". LOL.

The brake has an outside part that can be turned to close the holes. So you can hunt with the brake off so you don't deafen yourself. Better than a removable brake cause you don't change barrel harmonics.

BruceB
11-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes.....the muzzle brake has a rotating sleeve that covers or uncovers the holes in the barrel proper. "On-off".

It's interesting, to see the effects of brake/no brake on the SAME RIFLE. I can assure y'all that this brake has a very noticeable effect on the felt-recoil in this light rifle.

I had the misfortune to fire a round without hearing protection, brake "on"..... it was like having knitting needles driven into both ears!

This is a VERY accurate rifle, as mentioned.

I suppose that some vaporized lead alloy condensed in the brake . Whatever caused it, the brake is FROZEN and immovable. Good thing the rifle isn't one of my CB favorites.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
No worries, my magnumitis usually only lasts a couple hundred rounds, then I am ready to load to more reasonable levels.

starmac
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Well I just got back with it. We made the trade. It is a savage 116 stainless and synthetic with a bushnell elite 3200 series scope. I don't know much about the bushnell scopes, but if it works for me, all I can see that I will change is maybe the recoil pad. Oh yea it came with a box of federal premium 210 grain nosler partitions+2.

It seems like a pretty sweet setup for a total of 300 bucks invested.

bearcove
11-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah you messed up BAD! I'm in the holiday spirit though so will, Pay You! to ship it to me, AND! give your money back!

I'll try to find somthing to do with this mess that you have got us in, short of sending it in for scrap.

Your friend, Rod

starmac
11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Rod it is a lefty.lol I have to at least try it first,but have never liked heavy recoil, so who knows. lol

TCLouis
11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Lee 220 grain boolit

39 grains of 3031.

Most accurate load I have shot with cast

Still searching for a load for the 200 grain RNFP from RCBS.
I have one for me, but can't list it as the powder is LONG since outa the supply chain

bearcove
11-28-2012, 11:11 PM
My dad is a lefty. LOL!

bearcove
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Come to think of it it might be his fault I like Leverguns!

Hamish
11-28-2012, 11:36 PM
(Uh) WC867/WC872, hello? @(;^]#>:::

starmac
11-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Now your talking, if I ever come across a reasonably priced Model 99 358, this thing just might go away. The 99 just carries sooooo nice, compared to a bolt.

bearcove
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I just don't know why Marlin did the 338 ME instead of a 35 ME. Not interested in the first but would have bought 1 or 2 of the latter.

Oh well, have 35 rems will get 358 win reamer. Be more better.

starmac
11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
What all would have to be done to a 35 rem to go to 358? Do you know of anyone that has done it?

Crawdaddy
11-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Nothing wrong with Magnumitis, a relatively harmless disease. I have had it for years. You should see some of the looks I get when I use my 458 WM for deer!

I load down with 350 grain projectiles but I dont tell people that. I just let them scratch their heads.

bearcove
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
What all would have to be done to a 35 rem to go to 358? Do you know of anyone that has done it?

Just run a 358 reamer in. (Correctly) Need to watch COAL as marlin won't take more than 2.55-2.7" and use tube magazine compatible bullets. Most I have heard use 356 Win data. You have a little more room in case than 356 cause 358 brass is thinner. There is a 35 cal sight that has a write up and I have a copy of an article by (I think) Jim Charmicle. Has load data.

http://35cal.com/index.html go to articles and there is a write up on rechambering