PDA

View Full Version : 209 primers

starmac
11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
What is the advantage of 209 primers over the regular caps?
Every once in a while I see where someone is wanting to change to them, but haven't personally seen a need.

375RUGER
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
convenience maybe?
What I've read is that they burn a lot hotter in temperature.

starmac
11-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I am not seeing them as being more convenient, but could be wrong.
I can see them burning hotter, but I don't see them burning the powder hotter.
Maybe I'm missing something here. I have never used the pellets, do they require a hotter ignition?

451 Pete
11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Starmac ,

Yes, pellets do require a hotter spark to ignite than black powder or most synthetic loose black powder substitutes do. This is why the in - line manufacturers went from weaker cap primers to the 209 ignition system. If your shooting black powder there is no advantage.

Pete

johnson1942
11-27-2012, 07:55 PM
if your gun goes off every time their is no advantage, if you have lots of missfires they are the ticket. as for me the bucks do not grin at me and say ill wait untill you get it to fire so i use 209 conversion nipples. from a science point of view i have noticed that the pocket under the nipple is too small in some of the brandname breech plugs and the nipple base is too close to it. i would have to drill it out and tap and plug it to get them to work well with number 11s. so i use the 209 conversion nipple. again if your gun works dont fix it if it is cranky their is nothing like a 209 spark. some of my guns were built to face grizzlys and moose. if you have ever stood 25 yards from these guys you want a 209 conversion nipple. ive never done that with a grizzly but i have with a big bull moose. it made me a believer. have fun johnson1942

starmac
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Johnson, That is why I was wondering about their being an advantage, both of mine even the scout which has rumors of ignition problems goes bang every time.
I have never used pellets, but have never used real black either, always used pyrodex.

I know all about the feeling of face to face a with mad moose, but mine was three times at five feet or less within just a few minutes and wishing I had something besides the pocket knife in my pocket. lol

johnson1942
11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
starmac, if they arent broke dont fix them. moose are no joke are they. i was the only white man with a group of 13 native american hunters when we run into ours. we all looked for a tree to go up. they told me later we know the mind of all the forest animals except the moose, you never know what he is going to do. my heart skipped a beat when i read your experience. my son said whats going on over their so he came and read it. one thompson hawken gave me so much problems i had to go to a 209 coversion nipple. nothing worse than a cranky gun.mag spark and petersoli both make a good convertion nipple.

KyBill
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Have had only 1 bad misfire from the 11 cap and it was my fault .My only Difference I number 11 goes BaaaaBang 209 goes Baang got my first 209 last year on the line 25+ years. ky bill

starmac
11-27-2012, 09:35 PM
My bad experience with a moose was in the middle of the highway. A vehicle had ran off a steep embankment, I was looking at the tracks in the ice and nearly missed the tail lights as that was all you could see. It took me around a quarter mile to get stopped on the ice, and after I walked about halfway back I noticed a moose on a hill. About the time I noticed it, it came barreling off the hill and it was probably a hundred yards to as much as a twig to get behind. lol No use to run just, just had to stand there and talk to it. lol (beg it)

johnson1942
11-28-2012, 12:22 AM
as a point of interest to everyone shot gun primer nipples arent new. in one of my many old muzzleloading books i loaded out and never got back it mentioned that as soon as guns were made with primers in them some one made a nipple for target muzzle loaders in those days to hold a shot gun primer. i like them because i clean quickly between shots with one quite damp followed by two fast dry patches. if their is any moisture in the breech the 209 primer takes care of it. the only missfires ive had with them is faulty primers. occasionaly one will be recessed too far down into the primer and the fireing pin wont reach the dome. i always check when hunting to see if they are made right, you never know what pops up in front of you. saw a nice buck today checking out a herd of does. he was limping from barely makeing it through reg. rifle season but when in rut a bullet in the leg didnt stop him from doing what was on his mind. have fun shooting guys johnson1942

DIRT Farmer
11-29-2012, 12:24 AM
The main advantage to a 209 system is they are about 1/2 the price of caps. There are several modern shotguns on the line that have been converted to M/L and use 209s.

Crawdaddy
12-04-2012, 04:17 PM
As others have stated the main advantage is heat. They burn a lot hotter and are a must if you are using BH209 powder.

If you havent had any issues there is no reason to fix something that isnt broke.