PDA

View Full Version : Help with a recurve bow

Blammer
11-27-2012, 10:12 AM
My Neice is interested in a bow for target shooting and general fun.

My brother wants a recurve for her so she can learn "instinct" shooting. Nothing fancy like a compound with balance's, range pin's etc....

What should I need to look at in order to get her one that 'fits' her?

Arm length? Height? etc...

What type of arrows will last the longest and be most dourable?

Don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Wayne Smith
11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm no expert with bow, others will chime in. About arrows, though, don't worry much about them. They get lost, bent, broken, etc. When I was shooting a bow I used aluminium arrows and had an arrow straightener. I think I would go with the graphite now and not look back.

375RUGER
11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Does she happen to be a southpaw? I've got a new recurve. 20# if I remember.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Find anyone with a bow she can pull to full draw, and a long arrow that can be knocked while she draws it.
Have her draw the bow with the arrow, and mark the arrow ~1" in front of the riser. That's her draw length,
from the knock notch to the mark. How old is this gal? She needs to try several bows and see what she can pull
for weight. It will change if she sticks with it and muscles develop. She does not have to be able to "hold" the
weight for extended times like the "training wheel" bow hunters do on TV. Done properly,
when she reaches full draw, the arrow should be on its way to the target as soon as she hits the "anchor" point.
That's where the instinctive part comes in. Stick with aluminum arrows to start with they are the safest for beginners.
Wood and carbon fiber stuff is great once you got the learning curve settled down.

She needs to find someone proficient in traditional archery to mentor her.
Wheelie bow shops are going to be USELESS for her.
Read anything she can find written by G. Fred Asbell

Some good sights
www.stickbow.com
www.tradgang.com

There a a ton of tradition archery guys in your part of the world Blammer- find her a mentor

waksupi
11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I would set her up with a recurve, and wood or aluminum arrows. I don't like the composition arrows, as they are very light, and it is like dry firing a bow.

Gray Fox
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
There is a Women's Outdoors site that has a classified section that usually has a good selection of traditional recurves and longbows for sale. GF

CATS
11-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Blammer,

You may want to look into Bob Wesley's video, "Indirect Aiming for Bowhunting" copyright 1983. The video is a little dry, but the content is past solid. You view it and translate to your niece. If you use this method you will never get frozen before a shot. Bob is correct when he speaks about the peace that will come over you when presented with a shot.

I do not know if he is still alive, but he used to live in Poplarville, MS.

Reg
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
With those just getting started in shooting instinctive, they need to see results and to get results you need to shoot close up and with a bow that pulls easy. Depends on her age and strength but if you could, I would look around for one of the early all fiberglass Bear bows, the Red Fox I think was small and about 20# there were also a lot of copys out there and most can be found at garage sales and swap meets for very little. Hard to find ( and expensive ) wood arrows now days but the aluminum arrows now out there are really very durable and they too can often be found for a good price. Do match the arrows to her draw length and bow weight. Mismatched arrows of any kind shoot all over the place and will destroy her confidence quickly. If she finds she likes that kind of shooting then she can advance in bow weight and quality but get her on paper first , later you can extend the range out there. Most women who shoot for sport wind up with a 35# bow, some but few really go on to bigger bows. Do start out very light at first. It takes time and practice to build up the back and arm muscles needed to pull a bigger bow.
I think it was Fred Asbell ( or something like that ) wrote a excellent book on instinctive shooting, try to find it.
Learn to shoot a quality recurve and get good at instinctive shooting and you will never even consider the "rattley, clank robot type bows" with the multi colored long range scope.

Blammer
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
She's 11yrs old, and Right handed

quilbilly
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
As an 11 year old, I would suggest not more than a 25# draw bow since her muscles may not be quite mature enough to handle anything heavier without doing damage. See if you can find some fair quality cedar arrows to start with since they can handle the misses a little better when she starts out. I don't know how tall she is but a recurve bow around 60" is a length she will be able to use for many years and most Olympic ladies competitors of any height use bows in the 64" ballpark. The descriptions above on finding arrow length are right. When she first starts shooting, teach her the "gap method" for aiming and let instinctive come later (it will). The "gap method" is the distance between the arrow tip and the target center when at full draw.
FYI - In my much checkered past, I did coach.

runfiverun
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
something in the 25# range she could probably handle then.
unless she's small then i'd go down.
i was shooting a 20lb bow when i was 7 but i wasn't a little kid.
all i had back then was wood arrows [i didn't see a fiberglass bow untill the early 70's]
my pop had aluminum arrows in the 60's and they are still good today.

Duckiller
11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
No.1 son shot archery in an olympic format. Convential bows at 18 yards. Shop where he shot provided bows for beginners. If the kids were really interested parents got them bows and aluminum arrows. Bows had sights. Rear sight was provided by the archer with a consistant anchor point. He really enjoyed it until he freaked out at a major shoot in Las Vegas. Blammer, if you can find such a program in your area your niece would be well served to start out in it. I do not remember the exact name of the program and the shop is now closed .

frkelly74
11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
The Dunhams stores around here have a bow set up to measure draw length. For that matter any bow specialty shop will have the means to measure draw length. Start with something easy to draw of course. Keep it FUN!

M-Tecs
11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I would recommend finding a used Genesis on Craigslist, E-Bay or the local archery shop. It’s a compound but it can be used for "instinct" shooting. It’s adjustable as she grows. They are bullet proof. This is what is used in most of the youth archery programs.

http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis/

http://www.genesisbow.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mathews+genesis+bow&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=867570094&ref=pd_sl_4j62ujfkoz_e

http://www.nfaa-archery.org/programs/asap/asap.cfm

Arrows. Aluminum is the safest but they will bend. Carbon arrows are the best but they do require inspections for cracks. I don’t believe you could blow one up on a 20 pound bow but it’s something to keep in mind. Normal carbon arrows are the same weight or heaver than aluminum. Arrows should be five grains per pound of draw. Depending on length either the aluminum or carbon will at last twice the minimum weight.

Blammer
11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
She is really wanting a long bow or a recurve, so the compound ones are out.

I've been looking around for a "decent" 20# draw bow but can't find any, they all seem to be "kids" toys, not a "real" bow, if you will.

any suggested links would be nice.

I'll have to look into a good beginner book for her to read along with her dad.

44minimum
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Make her one out of pvc pipe. It's pretty simple. Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Buzpjllgo&feature=BFa&list=PLB54E47FB1B924E4C

Duckiller
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Hoyt makes recurved target bows. Hoyt .com. Did a quick check of the internet looking for a site to refer you to. You have your work cut out for you to finda bow for you niece. Most bows were compounds set up for hunting. Compounds are starting to take over the target venues too. You may want to go to the largest archery shop in you area and see where they point you.

dagger dog
11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Try the people at www.3riversarchery.com, they are very customer friendly and will answer all your questions, and there is a help section on their web site.

ktw
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
She is really wanting a long bow or a recurve, so the compound ones are out.

I've been looking around for a "decent" 20# draw bow but can't find any, they all seem to be "kids" toys, not a "real" bow, if you will.

any suggested links would be nice.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/?gclid=CJnutd648LMCFYw-MgodShAALA

I took up archery for the first time with my two daughters (13 and 14 years old) last summer. I couldn't find much in the way of a "real", adult sized bow for them either. I picked up Bear Grizzly recurves (@ 30 and 35lbs). I ended up buying a dozen carbon arrows for them to share.

Neither the bows nor the arrows (nor the link above) is going to fit your criteria of not spending much, but it was the route I followed when trying to do what you are doing. The bows are working well for them. We've spent a lot of quality time out in the yard since picking them up. I'm satisfied that I made a good investment.

-ktw

Reg
11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Do a bit of research on the Bear Red Fox. It looked like a child's bow, still does and there were many look alikes made along the same pattern and there are still a ton of them out there. In our family alone I bet we have at least 4 and have seen many more even in the last few years. Don't make the mistake of selling it short.
About 1960 we lived in N.E. Montana. My brother had a Red Fox and I had a Gray Fox ( 35#) Serious we were about this bow hunting. Made our own arrows and accessories. Many rabbits and other small critters fell to our efforts. Both of us are still very serious about bow hunting and both collect early Bear bows but we each still have a Red Fox and a Gray Fox and on the odd occasion bring them out and plunk a few.
Look for a Red Fox or one of it's look alikes. They are out there and are cheap but they are what bows are really about. Simple and basic and work very well. Not a Howard Hill bamboo bow by any means but very-- very usable by any definition.

0verkill
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Do a search for Kustom King archery, that and 3 rivers is where I used to get all my stuff. I bought a Lil' Brave for my Lil' sister from one of the 2, but that seems too small for an 11 year old. They've got a prtty good youth selection though.

wildwilly
11-27-2012, 10:16 PM
+1 for 3 Rivers Archery. They're very good and helpful people. Talk, or email them about your requirements.

OnHoPr
11-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Was that little blonde in your squirrel hunting/buck thread just posted recently the young lady that you are referring about. She's about to become a young lady dad, so she going to probably be growing a bit. I suggest a recurve in the low to mid 50" inch range, no more than 60". When she gets more familiar with the bow and starts knocking around stump shooting in the woods, (good instinctive practice), getting up in that 60" range can be pestering in the brush. Find a draw weight for her that she can barely pull at this time. She will strengthen and grow. I DO NOT RECOMMEND WOOD OR GRAPHITE. Those type of material shafts can acquire unseen hair line fractures from small stones, hard pieces of wood, maybe the green metal fence post to hold up the hay bales, etc. while practicing and stump shooting. An arrow that explodes or fractures on release in not very pleasant and can be painful. Stick with the aluminum or if they still make the MicroFlite fiberglass shafts. If you find a good decent used bow like an older Bear or such, take it to a GOOD mom & pop been in the business for a while archery shop, not meglomart, to have it inspected for little hairlines in the laminations. I hope she finds it interesting and fun. :awesome: :cool:

Also, go with just a touch heavier spine on the aluminum shaft for durability. I don't think she will be shooting at pronghorn for a while.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-28-2012, 01:46 AM
If you have any skill, you can make an 11 year old a bow with about 10 bucks
and trip to the oak board section of the home improvement store.
you gotta have hickory trees in your neck of the woods, do a web search for
"D" bow, you and the kid make her her first bow. Then, you have some more
memories. Its very easy to whittle out a kids bow.
for the oak board bow, look for "board bow" or "pyramid bow"

Boerrancher
11-28-2012, 07:46 AM
DJ,

As a huge fan of archery, especially primitive archery, I have shot a great deal of stick bows in my life time. Kindra Parsons makes a great hickory bow for around $35. They are not fancy, and you will most likely want to wrap the handle with leather, but they are well made bows and shoot really well to boot. Here is the link to Kindra's Ebay store. She sells a huge number of bows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handcrafted-Youth-Training-Bow-made-Hickory-/251091361072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76361d30

I hope this helps you find what you are looking for. If I didn't make my own bow's I would be shooting one of Kindra's. I can't make one to sell for the prices that she charges.

Best wishes,

Joe

Blammer
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
thanks for all the help guys, no the lady in the picture is my daughter, this is for my Brother's daughter.

More research to do! thanks!

44minimum
11-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Here is a link to a Crossman on Amazon. $34.00. How cheap did you want to get? And there are some other ones down below it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PO5QVS/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_ir013?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_r=051NNNXKSGVBXTJMDXMA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1421331902&pf_rd_i=10805321

BeeMan
11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
The Mohegan is a good quality bow available in various riser sizes and draw weights. Contact these folks http://www.hallsarrow.com/target-2/beginneryouth-bows/ . This is where we get archery equipment for our Scout and Venture Crews.

BeeMan
USA Archery Level 1 instructor
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery.aspx

OnHoPr
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Ooops, my senility kick in just from your opening statement in the OP to my post.:veryconfu

mjwcaster
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
This thread timing couldn't be better. I just took my 7 yr old daughter out to shoot her bow (bear scout) that her grandpa got her a couple of years ago. She had no interest in it before.
She really liked it, but the arrows weren't flying straight and I don't think the bow really fit her.
I am looking for info on how to teach her (I can manage to fling an arrow into a target, but don't really know what I am doing) and a bow that will fit her.
We just watched the link on the PVC Bow and she wants to make one.
I think over Christmas break we will be setting up to try a couple.
Has any here made/shot the PVC bows?
I like the idea of a recurve for cheap, since I have never shot one but would like to try.

Matt

Idaho Mule
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Blammer, I just got a xmas flyer from Midway and they have some very inexpensive youth bows. The one traditional style they list might be a little too light tho. Check it out if you get time. JW

brotherdarrell
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
I may as well add my 2 cents to this discussion.

I shot almost nothing but recurves and longbows for over 20 years, no rifles and very little shotguns. Unfortunately a torn up shoulder has put an end to the 'stick and string'.

A recurve will be the easiest for her to start shooting, they are just more forgiving. If she catches the bug she "will" move up in draw weight fairly quickly, so that will need to be taken into consideration.

Shooting needs to be fun. Start her out close so there is positive feedback. It needs to be fun. It also needs to be kept simple. A bow, some arrows and basic equipment. I have seen time and again a young kid pick up a bow and just start shooting. They usually figure it out all on their own and if you just 'let them do it' without too much coaching natural hand/eye coordination takes over and out to 10-15 yards results can come fairly quick.

Find some basic instructions on shooting techniques. Solid bow arm, come to full draw each and every time (this is where draw weight is important), anchor at full draw each and every time and a nice smooth release. These are the basics that all shooting should be based on.

There were a couple of references to G Fred Asbell's book 'Instinctive Shooting' and also to 'gap' shooting. In my opinion (and it is just my opinion) avoid these like the plague. I believe G. Fred's attempts to communicate his shooting style has ruined more shooters abilities to shoot well than he has helped. Learning to shoot by the gap method, I believe, is best left to the target range. It is a 'technique' that requires knowing the precise distance to the target. Now having said that, after a person has shot for while I believe that they will apply the necessary gap based on their shooting experience. To start doing this they just need to shoot. Kids don't need to read books, study techniques or watch videos on shooting, they just need to shoot using proper form and good (matching) equipment. KISS, in my opinion, needs to be applied here. And keep it fun. There is always time later to learn 'techniques'. I believe it is more important to learn proper form and let a kids natural hand/eye coordination take over the 'instinctive' part. And keep it fun.

Just my opinion.

brotherdarrell

"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men."

Maurice Thompson, The Witchery of Archery, 1879

waksupi
11-29-2012, 12:41 AM
A fun target for most anyone to learn with, is a whiffle golf ball, suspended on a strong string from a stick extending in front of the target back a foot or so. Instant feedback for a hit, along with the action keeps the attention.

Boyscout
11-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Don't buy kiddy arrows with plastic fletching. they will kick off the rest and cause all sorts of trouble. Get aluminum and a metal detector for finding your arrows in the grass.

Boerrancher
11-29-2012, 08:52 AM
A recurve will be the easiest for her to start shooting, they are just more forgiving. If she catches the bug she "will" move up in draw weight fairly quickly, so that will need to be taken into consideration.

Shooting needs to be fun. Start her out close so there is positive feedback. It needs to be fun. It also needs to be kept simple. A bow, some arrows and basic equipment. I have seen time and again a young kid pick up a bow and just start shooting. They usually figure it out all on their own and if you just 'let them do it' without too much coaching natural hand/eye coordination takes over and out to 10-15 yards results can come fairly quick.

Find some basic instructions on shooting techniques. Solid bow arm, come to full draw each and every time (this is where draw weight is important), anchor at full draw each and every time and a nice smooth release. These are the basics that all shooting should be based on.

Kids don't need to read books, study techniques or watch videos on shooting, they just need to shoot using proper form and good (matching) equipment. KISS, in my opinion, needs to be applied here. And keep it fun. There is always time later to learn 'techniques'. I believe it is more important to learn proper form and let a kids natural hand/eye coordination take over the 'instinctive' part. And keep it fun.

Just my opinion.

brotherdarrell

"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men."

Maurice Thompson, The Witchery of Archery, 1879

This is the best post on how to teach a kid to shoot period. Be it a bow, rifle, or sling shot. Keep it simple and keep it fun. No books, no videos, just let them shoot.

Best wishes,

Joe

M-Tecs
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Brotherdarrell Excellent post!!! Simple and fun is always the best foundation to build from.

BeeMan
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
"Solid bow arm, come to full draw each and every time (this is where draw weight is important), anchor at full draw each and every time and a nice smooth release. These are the basics that all shooting should be based on." This is a good concise list of 'what' makes a good shooter.

"Find some basic instructions on shooting techniques. "
This is "how" the shooter will get beyond what may (or may not) come natural. A good instructor helps the shooter get the "how", without over-instructing, frustrating, or otherwise taking the fun out of the learning experience.

BeeMan