PDA

View Full Version : Mod 92 25-20 barrel relign

relic
11-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Hello the forum.I have been lurking for a long time. Anyway I just had the barrel on my mod 92 25-20 religned by Taylor machine.Great job and very well done! My question is I have put about 300 rounds of cast bullets through it and its right on the bullseye.What is going to happen if I shoot some jacketed bullets? Do I have to really clean the barrel first or just a light normal cleaning.?

helice
11-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Welcome Aboard relic.
I have but one question! Why would you want to step backwards and use a non-lead copper-coated J-word thingy in such a nice gun? :D
Again Welcome aboard.
Karl

relic
11-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello, I have 4-500 jacked bullets loaded.The original barrel would shoot jacked bullets into one hole groups at 25 yds and almost as good at 50.Put a lead bullet in and 12 inches at 25. 86 grain swaged lead keyholed at 15 yds and most would not be on target at 25.I bought a really nice LBT mold that throws a72-75 grain bullet depending on alloy and they would not print,and I tried several different powders and weights.None of the lead would shoot,after the barrel relign everything shoots good.It is strange to me that jacked bullets shot so well but after trying many different combos of lead I could not get them to shoot.After the relign I took cartridges I had loaded before and they printed nice groups.I will shoot way more lead than jacketed.I just wanted to find out if I put some jacked rounds over the lead without a real thorough cleaning am I going to end up with a badly fouled bore? Thanks

starmac
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Am I missing something, why would you not want to clean it before switching?

Buckshot
11-28-2012, 03:52 AM
............Jacketed after lead should be a non problem. Normally to get your best cast accuracy you want a 'clean to the barrel metal' bore before shooting cast. Since you have a bit of experience with cast and what it'll do, try it after jacketed w/o cleaning and see what you get.

............. Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
The jacket bullets would good to run the barrel in. I would run those through first and really clean it before switching to lead. After that I wouldn't bother with jacketed bullets unless the rifle really showed a preference for them. In a 32-20 the velocity range is perfect for lead boolits.

Nice calibre, I kinda like it. Have been given an old 92 with a sewer pipe barrel that has been hogged out to 310 cadet. The rifle has potentially beautiful wood. I need another 32/20 like a hole in the head, but it is screaming out for a reline.

northmn
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I wonder if j-lead or lead-j would matter at the pressures of a 25-20 and a 32-20. Some claim it usually does not hurt anything as much as some fear. Were I to reline my 32-20 it would be for a 218 Bee.

DP

Four Fingers of Death
12-03-2012, 02:41 AM
I have always heard that the jacketed bullets will run a barrel in but shooting lead boolits takes a lot longer.

I often wonder about all of this hoo haa about running barrels in. Like brass cleaners/tumblers they are deemed essential by most shooters nowadays, but were unheard of a few years ago. If a round was a bit dirty, you wiped it on your pants before chambering, lol, just joking.

I have bought a few new rifles in the past year or so and have put a lot of effort into running the barrels in, pita, but how do you gauge if it is wasted effort or not? I suppose they will end up beinh easier to clean, that's the theory anyway. With the advent of new cleaning and lubricating materials that are becoming available like Froglube, etc, everything is about to be stood on it's ear once again it seems.