PDA

View Full Version : .40 S&W Load Data Needed...

GSPKurt
06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I am wanting to load 180 gr. Penn RNFPBB cast boolits and am having a difficult time finding load data for cast 180 grainers. Little help, please?
:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Fireball 57
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
GSPKurt: While I do not shoot a 40, I shoot nines, forty-fives. You did not mention what powder(s) you plan to stuff into those cases. Primer make, case capacity, new cases or old--powder lot all come into play.

I would suggest, going to the POWDER maker's website. They will have the updated info you seek, for a number of powder speeds and cast boolit weights.

olemiss
06-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I have shot over 10 thousand lead bullets out of my 40 S&W 1911. One thing that you have to be aware of is that lead bullets usually seal the bore better than jacketed, so a lower powder charge for lead bullets will give you the same pressure as a higher charge with jacketed bullets. The data for lead bullets are scarce. What I do is start about 5-10 % below the lowest listed charge for a jacketed bullet of the same weight. This should put you in a safe ballpark. Chronograph your loads and make adjustments working up slowly to a safe level. It is better to use slower powders with the 40. However, if you are using a 1911, have your barrel throated so that you can load long (1.200 inches over all length) and then you can use faster powders if desired.

robertbank
06-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Try Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook. There are lots of loads there for cast 180 gr bullets that should get you started.

Take Care

Bpb

Johnch
06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Here is a link to Alliant's (http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Pistols and Revolvers&gtypeid=1&weight=180&shellid=1022&bulletid=445) load data for 180 gr lead bullets
I use the max Unique load reduced by 10%

John

GSPKurt
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
GSPKurt: While I do not shoot a 40, I shoot nines, forty-fives. You did not mention what powder(s) you plan to stuff into those cases. Primer make, case capacity, new cases or old--powder lot all come into play.

I would suggest, going to the POWDER maker's website. They will have the updated info you seek, for a number of powder speeds and cast boolit weights.

I wanted to hear other's favorite loads without limiting myself to certain powders. I have AA7, Blue Dot and W231 on hand, among others. Win primers.

Curly James
06-20-2007, 09:17 AM
My favorite for a long time has been a 180 grain bullet and 5.0 grains of WW 231. This is a max load and you should work up to it in increments. I use mixed brass and would caution you to check the length/condition of the brass and, once seated, the depth of the bullet. I have seen the so named Glock bulge in brass fired in those guns and have yet to come up with a logical explanation. Some Glocks do it and some don't, neither one of mine bulge brass at all. Also seating depth in the .40 is especially important as to deep can raise pressures quickly. The .40 S&W is a high pressure little round and while easily reloaded does warrant the usual precautions and a little bit extra attention. I currently have been trying polymer coated lead bullets from Master Blasters bullets from two Glocks, a mdl 27 and a mdl 22. So far so good. Good Luck, CJ.

afrance
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I have two WW231 loads that I use in my PT140. 3.5 grs of WW231 behind a 180 gr RNFB and 4.1 grs WW231 behind the Lee 175 gr TL. Both will function my Taurus fine with low recoil but won't reliably cycle my friend's full size Ruger. You may need to go up a few tenths of a grain to reliably work your action. I always seat between 1.130" - 1.135" as Curly James mentioned because of the quickly rising pressures in the 40 S&W.

Alan

GSPKurt
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
How much crimp are you guys using?

robertbank
06-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I just try to remove the belling in the case leaving the case as straight walled as possible.

Take Care

Bob

afrance
06-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die but set it to just straighten the flare out and ensure that every round chambers without issue.

Curly James
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
One other problem I would advise on is the phenomenon called bullet setback. Some handguns, supposedly Glocks are notorius for this, will push the bullet deeper in the case during chambering or repeated chamberings. A deeper seated bullet raises pressures dramatically. I carry one of two Glocks everyday and practice a great deal with them causing the carry ammo to be unloaded and reloaded in the magazines and chamber. I have never observed setback occur and have even measured the OAL on my rounds several times. Having said all of that, when I set my crimp I commonly will measure the length of the round then place the tip of the loaded bullet on my bench and push with all my body weight. I have yet to push a bullet deeper. Not very scientific but it does make me fell better :-D . I realize this is a long winded way of saying the crimp you use will be determined by the type of bullet (boolit?) being loaded and should hold the bullet firmly and still allow proper chambering. I believe bullet setback is possible, but think the shape of the round that hits the feedramp has alot to do with it, also the type of plating/coating on the bullet and case condition may contribute to the problem. Good luck, CJ.