PDA

View Full Version : Old Winchester 94 front sight

blixen
11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Just came into a 1902 Win. 94, that'll I'll pick up in a week or so.

Barrel says "nickel steel," but no mention of caliber--I assume 30 WCF.

Appears functional, with splits in the stock and iffy bore, but first priority is a front sight to shoot it. Odd looking front sight, appears to be a small block with a slot for a blade -- soldered on the barrel next to the front band. Does someone have an image or even a description of what is supposed to be there?

Thanks.

bob208
11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
is it carbine? if so they had a block on the barrel that used a blade for the front sight. they were not adjustable for windage. most carbines used a blued steel front sight blade. lyman made many styles of blades years ago. another option i use is to make front sight blades out of old brass keys. when finished they look like german silver.

blixen
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks,
I know precious little about Win. 94s, it's got about an 18-20" barrel. But you read my mind about making a blade--I was going to use piece of brass--but hadn't thought of a key. it looked like it was held in place with a pin. At some point, the rear sight was replaced with an old Marlin sight.
It doesn't seem to be tapped for a receiver sight.

UPDATE:found a picture of the sight online.

pietro
11-26-2012, 08:20 PM
The chambering should be stamped into the top/center of the rear end of the barrel, just in front of the receiver.

The "Nickel Steel" designation on the left side of the bbl near the rear sight will be found on all .30WCF (.30-30) & .25-35 guns after about SN12,000 & on .32 Special guns after SN144,000 (and maybe a few earlier ones).

If the "Nickel Steel" designation is found on .32-40 or .38-55 guns, it was definitely a Special Order.

The guns weren't factory D/T'd for a receiver peep sight until many years later - but the rear upper tang should have a factory tang sight prep (hole, D/T & plugged w/headless slotted plugscrew).

bob208
11-26-2012, 11:04 PM
you have a carbine. that is the right sight base. the blade looks like an old lyman.

blixen
11-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I picked up the 1902 Mod. 94. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

So far, so good after a quick examination. Bore cleaned up shiny and the rifling looks reasonably well-defined. Slugged it at .309ish. It's hard to mic because lands are opposite grooves. It has a redfield rear sight.

The front sight blade is missing, I can see the pin, but can't drive it out easily. Could it be silver soldered in place? Maybe it's just aged into the block.

The barrel is about 18 1/2 inches long, I expected 20" (could this be a Trapper's Carbine?). Also some other odd things about it. As I said, this is my first Mod. 94 and I'm not well versed on them.

bob208
12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
it should drive from the left to the right. it should not be soldered. it could be a trapper but most of them were 16" some were 14".

at 18 1/2 " it sounds like a gunsmith job. not a factory rifle. 18" is the shortest you always leave an extra 1/2" just to be safe. also winchester never had 1/2" barrel length options.

square butte
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
So you are measuring from the muzzle end of the barrel to exactly where? Some foks make the mistake of measuring from muzzle end to the front edge of the reeceiver - instead of actual total length of barrel. Do not wish to sound condescending here. It's just one of those things that some -early on - do not know.

blixen
12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
You're not being condescending--my knowledge of 94s wouldn't fill a thimble and I appreciate the feedback and info.
Here's a photo that shows the measurement. (looks like 19 to the breech and 18 something to threads).

Also photo of the front sight (with my temporary blade). As you can see there is very little sign of the ends of the pin.

Notice the caliber marking and "U.S.A." is cut off at the receiver lip. OK, this is a little crazy but could the original barrel have been cut off a little and rebored? But why?

fouronesix
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
The photos leave no doubt. That is a Win barrel that has been cut off at the breech end and re-chambered. The most precise way of measuring barrel length is to use a ramrod- length is from face of bolt to muzzle. Still no reason the gun won't shoot well if the bore is decent.
Who knows the reason for shortening and re-chambering- just wanted a shorter carbine, damaged or ringed chamber, etc.

square butte
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, definately cut off at the breech. See the 3 - Just to the right of Nickle Steel. Last part od caliber designation missing.

blixen
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I would assume it was a problem with the chamber--If you just wanted to shorten a barrel wouldn't you cut the muzzle end back?
At any rate, can I assume that an collector's value is gone? I ask because as a shooter i'd be tempted to mount a peep sight or possibly rebore at some future time in another caliber.
Right now, I'm loving it in 30-30 but a peep would be sweet.

fouronesix
12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, there isn't much collector value left in the gun as a whole- only in the parts. So no problem with adding sights or other modifications to get it shooting to best of its ability.

blixen
12-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm having good luck with the 94 and its shortened barrel. See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?173427-Win-94-(1902)-goes-to-the-range&p=1949552#post1949552

I'm hunting for a receiver or tang sight now.