PDA

View Full Version : Clean nose on loaded tumble lubed bullets?

marklyftogt
11-26-2012, 01:49 AM
I have been having trouble with loaded rounds not going into the chamber easily in my Uberti Hombre (38 spl) after about the 20th round.

Thinking maybe the lube from the exposed part of the bullet is gumming things up.

I doubt it is the powder as I am using W231 and it is really clean burning.

Do any of you routinely clean the noses of your bullets? (RN). If so, how do you do it?

NoZombies
11-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Mineral spirits on a rag will generally wipe the TL off the exposed nose of the bullet.

45-70 Chevroner
11-26-2012, 06:32 AM
The question is will they chamber all the way by forceing them in or do they feel sticky when you push them in. If they feel sticky as you push them in I would say that you are using too much lube.
I usually only do it if I want them to look pretty. I don't have any problems with chambering because of the lube on the nose of my round nose boolits. I shoot a lot of 38 special with round nose, and a lot more of 45 Colt with round nose. The concense here is to cut the tumble lube with mineral spirits. 50% liquid lube to 50% mineral spirits. I have been doing this for about a year now since reading about it on this web site. It works great and I still have very little if any leading. Even before I started doing the 50-50 thing I had no problems with chambering. It should be an easy test try some for a while after wiping them off, if it works maybe that is the problem.

JLDickmon
11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
got a vibrator bowl?
chuck the loaded round in there for like 20 minutes or until media quits sticking to it after seating/crimping

WyrTwister
11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
The question is will they chamber all the way by forceing them in or do they feel sticky when you push them in. If they feel sticky as you push them in I would say that you are using too much lube.
I usually only do it if I want them to look pretty. I don't have any problems with chambering because of the lube on the nose of my round nose boolits. I shoot a lot of 38 special with round nose, and a lot more of 45 Colt with round nose. The concense here is to cut the tumble lube with mineral spirits. 50% liquid lube to 50% mineral spirits. I have been doing this for about a year now since reading about it on this web site. It works great and I still have very little if any leading. Even before I started doing the 50-50 thing I had no problems with chambering. It should be an easy test try some for a while after wiping them off, if it works maybe that is the problem.

I only wipe their noses if I have to .

Try Lee Liquid Alox + Johnson's Paste Wax + paint thinner in about equal proportions . The JPW makes the LLA dry quicker and " harder " / less sticky . And it does not take a heavy coat to work .

Another example of too much lube is when it gums up your seating die . :-(

God bless
Wyr

jfischer
11-26-2012, 06:20 PM
How well does the JPW mix with the thinner?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

jfischer
11-26-2012, 06:21 PM
And will it store once mix?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

RobsTV
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Is all the exposed lube wasted lube, or does it still have a useful purpose? Better to leave on or remove all?

John Guedry
11-26-2012, 08:44 PM
I always clean 'em,mineral spirits on a rag.

Kraschenbirn
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Never bothered to clean 'em. I use 45/45/10 for all my tumble-lubed boolits and have yet to experience any problem with lube build-up in my seating or taper-crimp dies, nor in my revolvers or Marlin 1895...which has only rarely seen a boolit that wasn't tumble-lubed.

Bill

WyrTwister
11-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Is all the exposed lube wasted lube, or does it still have a useful purpose? Better to leave on or remove all?

No Idea , I just leave it , if it is not causing problems , because I am lazy .

The JPW mixes well enough . Put the mix in a container with a lid . Drop in a defective bullet or 1/4 x 20 hex nit . Shake well . Shake before each use . Like a can of spray paint with the ball bearing inside .

God bless
Wyr