PDA

View Full Version : SAAMI video on fires involving loaded ammo.

bootsnthejeep
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3SlOXowwC4c

Lots of good information. Some pretty surprising. A bit heartbreaking to see so much ammo destroyed, but all for a good cause, I think.

Interesting video, regardless.

Blammer
11-25-2012, 11:59 PM
man that's a LOT of ammo they burned!

Nice to see a REAL demo on what will happen.

sav300
11-26-2012, 07:13 AM
All I can say is "WOW".Thanks to SAAMI for the video and boots for posting same.

imashooter2
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the post. I'd read SAAMI's published report years ago, but the visuals added a lot.

warf73
11-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Great video glad they put that out now ALL fire departments need to watch it.

btroj
11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Very interesting video. Tells me all I need to know about how safe ammo really is.

I just wish I had that much ammo at home!

bootsnthejeep
11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Now, the thing that they DIDN'T cover (not that it was a oversight, just another thing it would be interesting to see) would be the sealed ammo can full of ammo... or primers... or powder...

But otherwise, I thought it was a real eye opener. Nothing you'd want to be near without protective gear, but certainly not the movie-quality explosion that most people seem to think will be involved with an ammo fire.

fatnhappy
11-26-2012, 11:53 PM
I wept

Marlin Junky
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I wept

Me too, how wasteful! :cry:

MJ

Cherokee
11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Now, the thing that they DIDN'T cover (not that it was a oversight, just another thing it would be interesting to see) would be the sealed ammo can full of ammo... or primers... or powder...

But otherwise, I thought it was a real eye opener. Nothing you'd want to be near without protective gear, but certainly not the movie-quality explosion that most people seem to think will be involved with an ammo fire.

Agree on the ammo can and primers, powder but very informative for me.

williamwaco
11-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Great info.

I tried it myself 50 years ago but at a somewhat smaller scale.
I found that projectiles from rimfire, .38 special, and .270 Winchester, ignited in a corrugated cardboard box would not escape the box.

cbrick
11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Interesting for sure. I kept waiting for the cases of primers and the black powder in the retail store demo. Oh well, another demo at another time I guess.

I have a young friend on the FD here that I tried to explain this to just several weeks ago, I told him the only thing he had to worry about was loaded firearms and black powder but not real sure he believed me. I will show him the video.

Rick