PDA

View Full Version : Christmas!!! What are you hoping to receive or wanting to give??

WILCO
11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

imashooter2
11-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Well I've got nothing to follow that...

From your lips to God's ear.

kbstenberg
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Fish hawk Prays are sent for your wifes wellness.

btroj
11-25-2012, 10:20 PM
How can anyone top that? I would be very happy if Fishhawk got his gift and I got nothing.

rockrat
11-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I am asking for nothing for myself, but will donate to our local food bank. Thats my wifes and my gift to each other.
Food for the less fortunate.
Hate not being able to donate to toys for tots, but figure food would be better than a toy. Hard to enjoy a toy with an empty belly.

Fishhawk, I hope you get your wish.

JeffinNZ
11-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I just want Sheryl not to be stressed out. Her folks are seperated and she gets stressed about who is coming when etc. Oh, and my daughters to appreciate what they have compared to others. That's all.

starmac
11-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Well my son was here yesterday and I heard him on the phone making a deal on a 22, soooo long story short, I went ahead and gave him one of his christmas presents.
He really needed it before christmas anyway to use on the trapline.
My daughter and son in law were here for the weekend, and won't be around christmas, sooo I gave him two old rabbit ear 12 guage doubles that I had picked up a few months ago. They have what they call the cowboy room in their house that they will go great in. lol

We on the other hand got a brand new 6 pound 13 ounce grand daughter friday, so all is good.

Frank46
11-26-2012, 12:17 AM
The wife will get a brand new sewing machine to replace the one she has had since the year of the flood. Sure did get her money's worth. Don't know how many dresses she's made for who knows how many relatives and costumes for parties. As for me, if I can't get my el cheapo harbor freight band saw to run going to replace it with something better. And also wishing a very Merry Christmas to all our service men and women and thank you for your service to our country. Frank

3006guns
11-26-2012, 12:27 AM
My poor wife was so frantic she actually asked me to make a list of what I wanted.........so I did. I asked for a package of 100 yard rifle targets or some Hoppe's #9. I told her to spend the rest on the kids and grandkids.

Blacksmith
11-26-2012, 02:31 AM
At Thanksgiving one of my grandsons said he wanted everyone to give him knives for Christmas. So I asked him if he would rather have a knife than what I had planned on giving him. He thought about his grandfather and Christmas's past and said no he would rather have whatever I had planned than a knife.

For Christmas both grandsons are getting "Rusty" Kimber 82G .22 Target Rifles and a case of ammo from the CMP, they should ship on Monday I ordered back in early October.

For the wife and I its going to be some long term storage food in case the economy collapses or the SHTF we will be able to eat. If we don't use it before we die the children or grandchildren may need it.

Wayne Smith
11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Told one son six cavity Lee handles, of course. Can't have enough of those. Couple things from LLBean - good quality and guarantee. LOML wants a Kindle Paperwhite. Not Christmas, but I have to get a tablet, the office is going all electric, so ordered an IPad.

imashooter2
11-26-2012, 09:28 AM
My poor wife was so frantic she actually asked me to make a list of what I wanted.........so I did. I asked for a package of 100 yard rifle targets or some Hoppe's #9. I told her to spend the rest on the kids and grandkids.

I hear you! If I really wanted it, I've either already bought it or it just isn't in the budget and that would certainly include Christmas present budget. Just spending money to spend it doesn't make any sense. Let the kids enjoy...

Philngruvy
11-26-2012, 09:36 AM
How can anyone top that? I would be very happy if Fishhawk got his gift and I got nothing.

I am all for that! Prayers to ya.

Philngruvy
11-26-2012, 09:38 AM
We on the other hand got a brand new 6 pound 13 ounce grand daughter friday, so all is good.

Congratulations, that is the best gift of all.

41 mag fan
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM
My Christmas was answered and given to me, with the wonderful folks on here giving to Zach that Oleverns mentoring.

Otherwise, to make my Christmas a success....

1. My wife finding her 1carat diamond she lost off her necklace in my truck this past Friday. She's devastated, because I gave it to her on our 10th anniversary.
2. All kids in this world can live a normal life with no illness or deaths. They can grow old and experience life how it should be.
3. Women stop getting raped and beaten. My wifes friend, we just found out yesterday, was beaten badly by her loser husband. She lost 1/2 a head of hair...wait till i see him.......
4. Our service members stop getting killed. Time to bring our boys and kids home and let those other countries fight their own battles.
5. And lastly...my knees to quit hurting so I can walk normal and not live in pain any more.

ROGER4314
11-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't have any family left. They either won't speak to me or they are dead. You gotta play the hand that fate deals.

I ordered a MEC 600 jr in 12 gauge with the universal charge bar (adjustable shot and powder charges), some lead alloy from a friend in Georgia who reclaims fired bullets, some certified lead samples to use for hardness standards from RotoMetals, 50 pounds of reclaimed lead shot and a Leatherman one hand tool (OHT). Last year, I got the Leatherman MUT tool. Yup, Santa is going to be nice this year!

My fantastic little dog, Jake is going to get a huge supply of his favorite rawhide chew bones. He's also going to the Vet for a rabies shot and a check up. The Vet says that he's one of the best behaved dogs that she sees. I agree. He's a treasure and he's my constant companion.

I liked the posts about being unselfish for the holidays but after retiring from teaching and giving to others for 22 years, I thought I'd try being a bit selfish and look out for my own needs. The fact that there's no lady in the picture, makes the timing perfect and it's easy to look out for my own needs. I'll give that a run for a while then maybe volunteer at a holiday community function in the future. For now, I'm enjoying this.

Flash

blackthorn
11-26-2012, 07:30 PM
We join with Fishhawk and rockrat (et all). At our house, Gail lives with health problems that give her ongoing bad pain also. We do not buy gifts for each other at Christmas, rather we donate the amount we would normally spend on each other to a worthy cause or to someone who we feel really can use a bit of extra help. During the rest of the year if one of us sees something the other would like/need, we get it then. Gail and I have been together for 20 wonderful years (last May 24th) and we have been married for the last 16 of those years. This year our (Gail’s) 49 YO daughter had surgery for lung cancer and although the Drs. thought they got it all, later there were cancer cells found in the lymph nodes and she has had Chemo four times. She had the fourth (and I understand the last?) treatment about 3 weeks ago and we are waiting to see if the Chemo did any good. We hope to be able to have a (Gail’s side) family Christmas this year and we hope that Laurie will be better and able to attend. God bless!

firefly1957
11-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Prayers that Fishhawk gets his wish .

bayjoe
11-26-2012, 08:42 PM
We will keep fishhawk in our prayers.
All our prayers were answered, our son made it home from Afghanistan again without any serious wounds
Can't ask for more than that!
And who said God don't answer prayers!!!

starmac
11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Congratulations, that is the best gift of all.

YUP. Were plenty happy, she came home today healthy. We have had the almost two year old for the last couple of days, and he has run us happily ragged. lol

plmitch
11-26-2012, 09:40 PM
bayjoe give your boy a big Thank You from us for his service, glad hes home for you. My boy is getting out of the Army for good in a couple of weeks and that my christmas gift.

km101
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Fishhawk, may your wish be granted! Prayers that she gets some relief soon.

As for me.....another year of living would be nice.

Harter66
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Fish hawk,
I will put in a quarters worth but the ear of God I've has a cruel sense of humor.

My GF dropped good money for a 40 S & W and a 1919 model 12,I might even get to shoot them once.

ErikO
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Man, between FishHawk's and bayjoe's response I'll just add that I hope we can get my wife's pumbling issues resolved. Ovarian cyst is sucking the energy right out of her.

I'm doing what I can to get her a SIG P238 or P938. Hard to sneek a down payment on a layaway when she's the Keeper of the Books. ;)

Chicken Thief
11-27-2012, 04:55 PM
A short life!

RED333
11-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Peace on Earth, Good will toward All Men and Women.
Good Health and Happiness to All.
Hope yall get all the things ya NEED and half the stuff ya want.

Catshooter
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I got to meet my new grandsons that I got by a marriage late this year a few weeks ago. One is four, too young to shoot.

The other however, is 12 and we went shooting. He had a ball, couldn't stop grinning. So this year I'm building him an H&R 30-30/20 gauge combo gun. Pretty much like the one he shot.

I think he might like it. :)

Cat

starmac
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
It wasn't intended but I gave myself a new to me 338 win mag. lol Now I'll probably have to get something for that old grouchy woman that has been chasing me for the last 35 years or so.

TheDoctor
11-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Wife has been wanting a Beretta 92FS for the 14 years we've been married. Santa stashed one away for her a few months ago. I think she has given up on getting one, been a few years since she quit asking.

Idaho Mule
11-28-2012, 10:08 PM
When my wife asked what I wanted earlier this evening, I thought for a minute... then I told her what I needed the most was a "roundtoit". Hoping I get a few of 'em so I can finish some ongoing projects around here. JW

btroj
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Buying the 19 year old college student daughter a basic set of tools. Vise grips, screwdrivers, pliers, a set of side cutters. Basic stuff a person needs to have on hand.

Big Boomer
11-28-2012, 11:46 PM
There is not a thing I can think of that I want or even need - except perhaps for a hotplate to keep my moulds warm, but is a simple enough matter to correct. Recently I went for a new RCBS 38-150 boolit mould. Can't think of another single thing I could desire. For my better half, a good camera - which I have already purchased for her. 'Tuck (As in Kentuck)

Blacksmith
11-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Buying the 19 year old college student daughter a basic set of tools. Vise grips, screwdrivers, pliers, a set of side cutters. Basic stuff a person needs to have on hand.

A friend's son was going to go to college so as a high school graduation gift I gave him a tool kit which, in addition to tools, included things like Ty wraps, duct tape and genuine old time balling wire. He later told me that was the handyist thing he had and made him real popular because no one in the dorm had anything to put things together.

CLAYPOOL
11-29-2012, 02:53 AM
The harbor Freight band saw can be adjusted and made into a good one..Over on the "Holbart welding Site" the boys will clue you into where to access the info on how and what to "ADJUST" to make it into a much better tool..I have seen this noted several times as a bargin entry level machine....

Bulldogger
11-29-2012, 09:24 AM
I've already got a promise from my 3.5yo son's mother to let him spend Friday through Wednesday of Christmas with me. I can't top that.

I would like some new flannel shirts, one of these days. I am old enough to have worn several out, and I HATE how expensive a decent flannel seems to cost these days. On the way to my Aunt's house with my boy, for the Holiday, we will pass an old TSC store in farm country. I'm hoping they still sell flannel shirts at Farmer prices. Been 20 years since I stepped in one.
If not, oh well. Another set of patches on my favorite (bought used) flannel and I'm good for another Winter.

Bulldogger

Olevern
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
A short life!

Chicken Thief: You keep stealin them chickens and ya may get your wish :-)

Seriously, though, if that is a serious post you need to reach out to someone who can assess your risk for self-harm.
At least if you are having thoughts of self-harm please ask a trusted friend to store your firearms and seek some counseling.

Christmas is a very difficult time of year for many who have had life altering things happen around the Christmas season, or who have lost loved ones we used to share the joy of the holidays with.

When I lost a granddaughter at 21 years of age in an auto accident the next several Christmas (and Thanksgiving) family get togethers were very difficult.

Please reach out to someone if you are depressed and thinking (even occasionally) of self harm as a solution.

Jim
11-29-2012, 10:38 AM
The only thing Janet and I want is the day together without something that HAS to be done TODAY.

Olevern
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
In answer to the question of the original poster, I don't have to think at all on my answers.

What do I want for Christmas? Absolutely nothing. The gifts I have received in the last several months cannot be topped and I am content. That my daughter survived having a major stroke and lying on the bathroom floor in a business establishment for one and a half hours before being discovered and flown to the hospital is a gift of God and an answer to many prayers. (many from here). That I still have Zack, who is very precious to me is also an answer to many prayers; prayers from three churches I am affiliated with and all of you here on the forum. Even now as i type, my eyes tear up over the thought of how close we came to losing him and the miracle that was granted us. Surely the Lord has some great work for Zack to do.

As for my thoughts on what I want to give for Christmas; I give throughout the year to a number of boys and young men (they do grow up, you know) . These are boys who have been given more to overcome than I, who was blessed with a wonderful childhood. I purchase dirt bike protective riding gear for seven boys/young men at present; purchasing new gear or replacing it with good used gear from another of my boys who outgrew it, thereby enabling them to ride my dirtbikes and atv's safely. I spend time with them (and often one or both of their parents) riding, fishing, shooting, reloading, hunting, going to movies, frequenting gun shops. I offer them guidance and counsel about relational issues, behavioral issues, and, later on in the process, boy/girl relational issues. I love them as if they were my own. I engage them in contracts for areas of behavior they struggle with, establishing base occurrances of undesirable behaviors, then offering meaningful rewards for an agreed upon, measured improvement. I offer counsel to parents who struggle and lack parenting skills. I say all that, not to pat myself on the back, but to say that my prayer, and what I want for Christmas, is another year of making a difference in the lives of these, the least of God's creation (at least in societies eyes). I want to see in this coming year, that spark of caring where caring was not a part of the child's experience and the signs of integrity, where integrity was not part of a families norms.

I am blessed to have my daughter and Zack, literally back from the brink of eternity. I don't feel as if I have a right to ask God for anything more, but, my prayer and desire is for another year in the field in which He has planted me.

Olevern
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
The only thing Janet and I want is the day together without something that HAS to be done TODAY.

Nothing is more important than TAKING that time to be together. When all is said and done, who amoung us will look back over our lives and say "I wish I had spent more time on my yard, or I wish I had made those little home repairs more of a priority"?

No, it is relationships that matter; so take the time for the relationships God has placed you in. I am so busy with the boys I mentor that I must schedule time for the wife and I to be alone, which I do regularly. And, my wife knows that she has permission (by my request) to let me know when she feels as if she is being neglected and needs some attention.

We, thankfully are at a place in our relationship where she is not shy about making a date with me and letting me know her needs.

Bullshop
11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
To receive - The gift
To give - the Word

Love Life
11-29-2012, 11:54 AM
I just want to spend the day with MY family. It still gets me everytime I say MY family. I'm not big on getting gifts since over the years I have missed so many "special" occasions that they have lost much of their significance. That does not exempt me from buying gifts though...

Seriously though I received the best gift I could ever get 3 years ago when my daughter was delivered into this world healthy and ready to enjoy the world. Being a father has to be the best thing in the world. Well at least until she is a teen and realizes she already knows everything and doesn't need parents.

gray wolf
11-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Well lets see, I guess part of getting is giving. What can I give ?
I can give the best of myself to all around me and hope for the best for all those out of my reach. I can pray for everyone as I do every day, I can give kind words, a friendly smile, and a look of understanding on my face, I can hold out my hand to those in need.
It may be an empty hand but it's a strong hand.
I can say I wish the best for you and your family, or I'm sorry your ill,
I can say I love you and I'm glad you care about me and love me back.
The gifts I can give can't come wrapped in pretty paper and have colorful ribbons,
and I don't have to worry about taking the price tags off, the box they come out of is called my heart and they are priceless.
What gifts would make me happy ? My Brothers wife Betsy has been in a coma since She left our home on Sep. 25 of this year. The food born illness Lysteria has attacked her brain, she has been in and out of ICU for over two months and My Brother who I love very much has been very sad and tremendously burdened with the possibility he may loose his wife or she may have brain damage. Julie and I pray many times each day for her full recovery. My brother Bob has not left her side all this time. So what I would like is for Betsy to open her eyes and look at my brother and say, " Bob I love you and I'm going to be OK.
It's hard to think of a better gift, very hard.
I want to know that I do the best I can for Julie and our fur kids everyday.
I would like my wife to have nice things, ladies should have nice things, pretty things.
When I think of worldly things or things for my self they always get put on hold.
But I had this thought the other day, I said to myself, "Ya know " I would like to have one new shirt, one that didn't come from the good will store, one I could make smell like me and not somebody else. But you know men, I don't really need a new shirt,
and my wife never complains. So when I think about it a little more I guess I have what I need. Now Betsy just has to get better.

Sam in Maine

WILCO
11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Well at least until she is a teen and realizes she already knows everything and doesn't need parents.

A strong Father/daughter relationship will prevent that. Keep your eyes on the prize and never let anyone undermine your authority as the father figure.

Circuit Rider
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Sent my Daughter in California the Founders Bible, from Wallbuilders. She should get it late next week, I'll know when, cause I'll hear her scream from there. CR

btroj
11-29-2012, 10:26 PM
A strong Father/daughter relationship will prevent that. Keep your eyes on the prize and never let anyone undermine your authority as the father figure.

She will always need you, she just may not admit to it. Mine can be that way at times but I know better. That is all I care. Now that she is 19 she is beginning to turn around.

lead-1
11-30-2012, 05:54 AM
To receive - The gift
To give - the Word

AMEN!

But on a more selfish note, I have always told the wife and kids I don't want anything and refuse to let the cat out of the bag on something I would "like" but don't deem "necessary".
This year or sometime in the near future I would like to get a LEE Classic Turret press, just because, lol.