PDA

View Full Version : Wolves and wolverines

starmac
11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
A friend of mine just called, he runs a trapline (part time) and was on his way in. He caught a black wolf and a wolverine. At thanksgiving dinner, he mentioned a wolverine was one of his goals as he had caught them a few times, but they always had gotten away previously.

Mooseman
11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Wolverines are "mini bears" with a worse attitude...Them are bad dudes and I have seen them destroy traps to get out and chew steel telegraph wire in two .

starmac
11-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Yep, We were talking about that at thanksgiving dinner, every time he had one in a trap it leveled everything in as big of a circle as he had movement.

waksupi
11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
We had to pack out and move a camp about 20 miles to get away from one in the Spotted Bear Wilderness. Destructive bastids.

starmac
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
For some reason they have always reminded me of an overgrown badger. lol Or tazmanian devil. lol

montana_charlie
11-25-2012, 09:56 PM
For some reason they have always reminded me of an overgrown badger. lol Or tazmanian devil. lol
I believe the wolverine is cousin to the badgers, weasels, ferrets, and minks.
All are efficient killers, but the wolverine is probably pound for pound the meanest one.
CM

MT Gianni
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
An old friend, long dead had a mounted wolverine in his office. He was in what is now the spotted bear and believed it was stalking him.

KCSO
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
As a side note I was rereading "Silence of the North" this weekend and Olive had little good to say about either of them. In fact one chapter is Why I will Alwyas Hate Wolves. I have shot a few wolves but have never has a shot at a wolverine.