PDA

View Full Version : First Lubrisizer

BABore
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Needed a second luber so I decided to improve on a good one.

Swagerman
06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Some of the quality exhibited herewith is simply amazing, you guys are really good at making stuff. I'm green...:mrgreen:

Jim

357maximum
06-19-2007, 03:23 PM
woo dang Bruce , that ended up looking real nice:drinks: She sure looks alot MO BETTA now that it is painted, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Now tell the good people what size boolits you can size/lube in that critter.....I can't believe you left the details out.......

BABore
06-19-2007, 03:42 PM
That's just the standard model and takes stock Saeco dies. I didn't want to mention the larger version. The oldie moldy and BP crowd would not be able to sleep nights.:-D

45 2.1
06-20-2007, 06:15 PM
That's just the standard model and takes stock Saeco dies. I didn't want to mention the larger version. The oldie moldy and BP crowd would not be able to sleep nights.:-D

Since when did that stop you? Give it up.

Buckshot
06-21-2007, 03:50 AM
..............I just make a lube-size die for a member here, residing in the UK with an old Vickers lube-sizing press. Looks lke an oversized Lyman die. Same length at 1.470" but it's .875" in OD. I made it to .590" ID for his Snider I suppose :-)

Did you make that press? Looks like a superb job! How come we didn't have any construction photo's or such?

.................Buckshot

BABore
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
..............I just make a lube-size die for a member here, residing in the UK with an old Vickers lube-sizing press. Looks lke an oversized Lyman die. Same length at 1.470" but it's .875" in OD. I made it to .590" ID for his Snider I suppose :-) I believed I designed the larger version to take a 1inch OD die. Figgered there's no sense in getting caught short again. Plan to lube/size 0.730 dia 12 ga slugs.

Did you make that press? Yes. Designed and built. Looks like a superb job! Thank you. How come we didn't have any construction photo's or such? Designed on CAD, no photo's required. Everything is standard mill & lathe fare. The normal hollow casting is replaced by sequenced machining operations and weldments.
.................Buckshot

Here's the only other pic I have taken prior to paint.

59stude
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Any change to get copies of your plans?
I would like to build one like your as a winter project, because it was the neatest press I have seen so far, and no handle to poke in the belly also.

59stude

Boomer Mikey
07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
With 1/2" guide rods the handle is too short, you don't stand a chance of bending them!

I see you didn't like the way the Saeco leaks lube at base too. I considered making one, but I already have two.

It looks like you don't have enough going on in the shop Bruce,

Boomer :Fire:

Marine Sgt 2111
07-15-2007, 11:12 PM
BABore...do you have your CAD files in an IGES format...making one of these would be a nicee winter project....

Boomer Mikey
07-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I keep checking this thread daily for a post of the luber for large dies. I'm not loosing any sleep over it but I keep looking.

I"ve been thinking about a sizer like the RCBS Lubeamatic II with a 1.5" ram that would take 7/8"x14 thread swaging dies with a two step link system and an adapter to use standard H&I dies and another adapter to use Saeco Dies. Then you could reform linotype bullets to another nose profile and eliminate air voids in the swaging process.

BABore
07-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I could do that. It would just require the need, desire, and/or want-to. [smilie=1:

I have a design all done for an up-sized Saeco-style sizer that would handle 1 inch O.D. dies. This should allow up to, and maybe above, 0.730 dia 12 gauge sizing.

I finally got the pictured sizer up and running. Had a few minor problems with the biggest one in getting the pressurized lube reservior to hold pressure and not blow lube up the inside (spring) area. It's fixed temporary-like, but I still have to machine a final part for complete sucess. Overall it works mucho-better than my Saeco and has more capacity.

What your asking for may be a little more difficult. The top end is easy. The bottom end would be harder to do well. I believe Saeco (0.6875 OD) dies and RCBS/Lyman dies are different OD's. As soon as you talk adapters I hear leaks. Die length may also be an issue. The sleeve would have to be rather large and headed. It would have to slide in the lower frame and a nut would hold it tight. Similar to a Saeco die. Then the Saeco die would have to slide inside of the sleeve and the nut put on. I would imagine that the sleeve would have to be close to 1 1/2" in diameter, where it slid through the press, to have any hope of sealing well. You also need the large size to provide clearance between the sleeve ID, and the sizer die OD. Otherwise the alignment of the lube holes would be critical and require greater pressure to flow well. It's all do-able stuff.

Boomer Mikey
07-18-2007, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=BABore;203254]I could do that. It would just require the need, desire, and/or want-to. [smilie=1:

I have a design all done for an up-sized Saeco-style sizer that would handle 1 inch O.D. dies. This should allow up to, and maybe above, 0.730 dia 12 gauge sizing.

I finally got the pictured sizer up and running. Overall it works mucho-better than my Saeco and has more capacity. QUOTE]

Hi Bruce,

Your "improved" model appears to solve the issues I have with the SAECO and I applaud your common sense in making improvements for strength and accuracy.

I have 2 Saeco, 2 RCBS Lubeamatics, and 2 Lyman 450's. The RCBS lubeamatics are used for bumping up bullets and heavy sizing, the Saeco's are used for lubing and light sizing while the Lyman 450's sit in a drawer. The RCBS sizers are the strongest, the Lyman 450's the weakest, and the Saeco's are the most accurate with superior dies but lack the leverage to do heavy sizing/bumping.

I believe I'm pushing the RCBS lubers to their limit but so far they have held up well. The Lyman 450's broke their toggle bolts so often I gave up using them on anything larger than 32 caliber and most of my cast bullet shooting is 35 caliber and larger so they sit idle most of the time while the Saeco's do superior work on 30 caliber and smaller.

My thoughts on the 1.5" ram version of the lubematic are that 3 keyed 1.25" sleeves with a retaining nut similar to Saeco dies would be made to hold 0.702" OD H&I Dies, 0.6875" OD Saeco Dies and 7/8" 14 threaded swagging dies. The sizing die sleeves would be back bored to provide a lube chamber to provide adequate equalization of lube pressure around the dies and "O" rings could be positioned above and below the chamber on the outside of these sleeves where they contact the frame to minimize leakage. A single hole would be drilled from the front of the frame to provide access to the pressurized lube chamber then tapped and fitted with a 1/4" 28 thread set screw to lock the sleeve in position on the opposite side of the sleeve. Sufficient material should exist to counter-bore a recess for the Saeco sizing die flange and an H&I Die retaining nut in their respective sleeves.

H&I dies are 1.6" long and Saeco Dies I believe are a little longer making a sleeve housing 1.5" thick practical and FORTAL (7075) aluminum would seem to be an ideal material for this project's body and W-1 for the ram.

Just some random thinking out loud.

Thumbnails of the RCBS Lubeamatic II as a boolit bumping machine.