PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbbie BP questions -- Hawken .54 cal BP

seasidehunter
11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
What is the deal with the used .54 cal Hawken rifle? are they good ??

the reason I ask is because I see on the website they offer the .50 cal ones for sale.

is the .54 better than the .50 or did they quit making them for some reason a newbie like me doesn't know yet or understand?
{ Bigger is bette?? }

What is the value of a used one, is it worth $200, $225 ???

I would like to get a BP rifle but don't know much.

any advice, comments welcomed - hope all had a wonderful turkey day

Omnivore
11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Just my 2 cents. 50 cal is more common, probably for no other reason than it is more common, similar to VHS beating out Beta back in the days of yore. 50 cal shooting accessories are more common, but you can always get 54 cal stuff if you look around, or if you shop on-line. Nothing wrong with a 54 cal at all, so if you find a good deal on one that's in good condition (has a good bore) there's no reason to shy away from it.

$200 to 250 is about half, or a little more than half, the price of a new "Hawkenesque" rifle from TC, Investarms, or the other lower priced traditional sidelocks, so that would be a great deal assuming it was in good condition. A much more faithful reproduction Hawken such as a Pedersoli will run closer to a thousand, and a nice handbuilt can run several thousand. The $350 to $500ish Italian production guns are good shooters though, even if they're a bit rough in the fit and finish area or they're not really "Hawkens" in their construction details.

winelover
11-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Bigger hole is always better, when it applies to big game hunting. Just remember the heavier the slug the more it recoils!

Winelover

smoked turkey
11-23-2012, 08:52 PM
For starters it is hard to beat a 50 cal. As has been said, the .50 cal has evolved into the standard caliber for muzzleloaders. If I was just starting out and didn't know if I would like shooting and cleaning the front stuffer, I would put my money on the .50. In doing that you put yourself into the most common arena for purchasing everything from cleaning jags, patches to projectile choices. I guess I am saying that going the .50 cal route is probably the easiest way for a newbie to begin. You then have to decide whether you want to buy an in-line with removable breech plug or a more traditional sidelock such as the TC hawken type. No one can tell you which type you are apt to like best. You will need to handle each and if possible arrange to shoot each at a local range. You will then know which way to go. There are many many variables in the muzzleloading game. I suggest you purchase one of the excellent muzzleloading handbooks by Lyman. They talk about all this stuff. Of course the stickies here in this section also have a wealth of info. It is a fun journey you are about to have. Enjoy it. I can tell you if you like it and are like most, you will end up with .50, .54, and possibly .58 calibers before you are done. You will also probably have both in-lines and traditional sidelocks, maybe even a flintlock if the bug bits you hard enough.

waksupi
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM
It kind of depends which part of the country you are in, for caliber preference. Since we hunt elk around here, the majority of the rifles are .54 or larger.

seasidehunter
11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
thanks everyone, I like the idea of a bigger is better.

this was a kit gun TC Hawken, it's pretty reasonably priced below $200 - I might take a chance on it.

johnson1942
11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
if you let this t.c. .54 hawken pass you will really kick your self later. they go for $375 in rapid city. waksupie, said it right you will comply with most states laws and maybe 98 percent of them anyways woth that gun. as it was said here before a bigger hole is better, i only weigh 150 pounds and am 5 ft 7 tall. i shoot a lot bigger guns than that recloil is the last thing you will think about. go for it and have fun. johnson1942

Bullet Caster
11-24-2012, 11:21 PM
I have a .50 cal. Pedersoli flintlock I purchased over 20 years ago and it still looks brand new. It's a very fun gun to shoot and I paid less than $500 for it back then. I've priced them a few weeks ago and cannot believe that they're nearly $1000 now. The fit and finish on my Italian import was exceptional. IICR I purchased it from Cabelas. And I only shoot PRB out of it, no conicals. Boolit fit is king when it comes to smoke poles. You can always adjust that fit by the thickness of the patch. Only problem I ever had with it was when I broke a pin and had to order a replacement. Hope you enjoy your new front stuffer no matter what caliber or manufacturer you decide. Muzzleloading brings new challenges and different techniques than that of smokeless. Enjoy. BC

waksupi
11-25-2012, 01:27 AM
I have a .50 cal. Pedersoli flintlock I purchased over 20 years ago and it still looks brand new. It's a very fun gun to shoot and I paid less than $500 for it back then. I've priced them a few weeks ago and cannot believe that they're nearly $1000 now. The fit and finish on my Italian import was exceptional. IICR I purchased it from Cabelas. And I only shoot PRB out of it, no conicals. Boolit fit is king when it comes to smoke poles. You can always adjust that fit by the thickness of the patch. Only problem I ever had with it was when I broke a pin and had to order a replacement. Hope you enjoy your new front stuffer no matter what caliber or manufacturer you decide. Muzzleloading brings new challenges and different techniques than that of smokeless. Enjoy. BC

Thanks for proving a point for me. Good parts for a custom ML will run somewhere around $7-800. I can usually put one together for around $5-600, since I know what I'm doing. So, you can pay $1000 for a production rifle, or spend a couple hundred more with someone like me, and end up with a rifle worth at least a couple thousand. I was aghast recently to see on another forum someone wanted someone to build a gun for him, and the minimum bid came in at $1200 for the building end! I wish I would have seen that before the guy paid that kind of money. We both would have been happier.

tomcat388th
11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a 54 cal CVA hawken that my parents bought me in 1981 for my eight grade graduation. Mine is a 1/66 twist I shoot roundball out of it. I have yet to shoot a deer with but it is very accurate. It has taken a few fox squirrels it just decapitates them
Justin

seasidehunter
11-25-2012, 03:00 PM
well, the guy took it off sale before I could grab it

I guess I am looking for a BP rifle reasonably priced ... anyway I can do some research and learn something maybe.

I really want one to hunt with - I prefer bigger bore, and perhaps easy to clean, care, etc. I'll be listening...and studying.

OverMax
11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I'll be listening...and studying. Good you'll learn a lot easier & quicker than many of us did. Speaking to the size of caliber wanting. I see your location is Louisiana. If you intend to hunt there most of the time. A 50 cal would be ideal. (A standard by which all others measure to.) And besides its ammo/products for. Availability and a much bigger selection than any of the other calibers should be considered when looking to purchase supplies locally. If you find a rifle that pleases you. If possible buy new. If not, don't buy on impulse. Take your time check one out thoroughly. Get all your questions answered first. Before laying the cash on their counter. Whether you chose to be a traditionalist or a in-line shooter. It all good.

O/M

seasidehunter
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Good you'll learn a lot easier & quicker than many of us did. Speaking to the size of caliber wanting. I see your location is Louisiana. If you intend to hunt there most of the time. A 50 cal would be ideal. (A standard by which all others measure to.) And besides its ammo/products for. Availability and a much bigger selection than any of the other calibers should be considered when looking to purchase supplies locally. If you find a rifle that pleases you. If possible buy new. If not, don't buy on impulse. Take your time check one out thoroughly. Get all your questions answered first. Before laying the cash on their counter. Whether you chose to be a traditionalist or a in-line shooter. It all good.

O/M

O max,

many thanks - I'm L A (los angeles) I'm gonna edit my thing a ma jig so no confusion, I got here by way of SC (south carloina) so sorry for the confusion - I went to Clemson, fish & wildlife biology - it's a loong story....

thank you for your comments