PDA

View Full Version : FINE bullets!

Blammer
06-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I just finished casting about 30 of my 58 cal minnies, and about the same number of them in 20ga Lyman slugs.

I got to thinking about several people who have sent me sample bullets (and I'm greatly appreciative!) and started comparing what I cast to what 'samples' I got.

I have deduced that the samples sent from the people on THIS forum FAR exceed the samples I've received from elsewhere. (I'm referring to quality not quantity...)

Some of the "samples" I got from others not on this board were truely horrendous looking, wt consistency was all over the place, mould fill out spotty at best, etc.... NO wonder so many 'casters' can't shoot very accurately.

I think some cast just to make the gun go bang cheaply.

Buckshot
06-18-2007, 07:27 PM
...............Well, truth of the matter is ................ we're just an amazing bunch :-)

.............Buckshot

piwo
06-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I think some cast just to make the gun go bang cheaply.

It's the same distinction between re-loaders and handloaders: one stuffs cartridges to make them go bang cheaply, the other is looking for exceptional consitency and quality.

nicholst55
06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Years ago I worked with a self-proclaimed "gunsmith" and commercial reloader who cast all of his own boolits. One day while I was at his place I saw some (obvious reject) cast .38 boolits laying on a bench, and I commented about those going back into the lead pot. Oh no, he was preparing to lube and size them so he could load them! Now, we're talking about boolits that no self-respecting caster would have shot - poorly filled out, mold too cold, etc.

He figured that it took just as much time to cast rejects as it did good boolits, so he loaded and sold everything that he could seat in a case. That day I found out why his ammo was so wildly inaccurate and had such a bad reputation. He figured that most people buying his ammo couldn't shoot well enough to tell the difference anyway. Later on I suggested to him that he would have much more time to load ammo if he bought commercially cast boolits and used them. It took him a while to come around, but he ultimately did. The only reason was so he would have more time to load ammo, so he could make more money.

My point is that, yes, some people cast boolits purely for the economy of it. They care nothing about accuracy and have no pride in their work.

Boomer Mikey
06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Well,

I reload all my cowboy ammo with wrinkled bullets and all, but handload my long range cast bullet and silhouette loads very carefully. I'm amazed at how accurate the reloaded ammo is. I can't tell the difference at 50 yards or less as long as the boolits aren't undersize and aren't pushed beyond their limit. Many of those bullets in your reject pile will shoot better than you do.

Learn what will work, what won't work, and why.

Boomer :Fire:

Springfield
06-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Of course there is a big difference between a wrinkle that is barely visible and one that you could break your fingernail on it is so deep. Cowboy ammo not needing to be accurate notwithstanding, if I can see the wrinkle it goes back in the pot. Just faster than sitting there looking at it deciding if it is bad enough( or good enough) to keep.