PDA

View Full Version : Asking the members here to help a child

41 mag fan
11-21-2012, 01:49 PM
To all members:

We all know and respect Olevern and especially how he mentors the child Zach, who right now is having some complications.
After reading his post, I felt compelled to make an offer to send Zach a few things for this Marlin 22 he'll be recieving.
Me and the better 1/2 always sponsor 2 kids at Christmas, but this year something has kept me from getting 2 names off the Christmas tree at work.
The good Lord above has been guiding me I guess you could say and now I know why.
After reading Oleverns post on Zach, I felt compelled to contact Vern and offer to send some things for Zach and his new rifle, whether it be for after his surgeries he'll need or for a Christmas present.

But I know this community and how they pull together to help other members and kids that need help.
I'm hoping I can get something started and the members here will send a few things to get Zach off and running on this new rifle.

Thank You to any members here that want to send a few things to Olevern for Zach.

I'm heading to Wally World here in a few to pick him up a soft sided case and a cleaning kit for his rifle.

Gunslinger1911
11-21-2012, 02:30 PM
41 mag fan,

I'm in !! I'm good for a brick of ammo - who do I send $30 to ?

Bad Water Bill
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Just need a real name and addy.

DRNurse1
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Pm-ed Olevern. I am in, too.

41 mag fan
11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Bill, Gunslinger you might get ahold of Olevern thru a pm and ask for his mailing address.

i just went and bought a Bob Allen soft sided gun case that'll hold a scoped rifle, Winchester gun cleaning kit (all walmart here carries), Hoppes gun solvent, Hoppes gun oil (all walmart had), and 250 cotton patches for the 22.

Got it sent off to Vern 30min ago.

Thank You Gunslinger, Bill And DRNurse for being so willing to help put a smile on Zachs face.

This boy deserves a fair chance at life and his illness has really touched and saddened me, and i'm hoping by what i've seen this community do in times like this, Zach will have an uplifting of spirits and this outpouring from us members will help him to overcome his illness and return to a normal life.
Plus this is our legacy of the future, hopefully Zach will come out of this with flying colors, and someday when he's older and settled down in life, he'll remember what the cast boolits family has done, and will pass on this generosity to another child in need, and keep the gun and shooting sports alive thru the next generation.

Thank You again all of you....this has started my Christmas season out as being a memorable one.

Olevern
11-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the desire expressed here to help out Zack over the Christmas holidays.
For any who have be led to do something, I offer my address to receive funds or gifts but would be
uncomfortable giving out Zack's last name or address on the internet.

Vernon Fisher
218 Bingham Center Road
Genesee, Pa. 16923

While Zack still faces physical challenges with his breathing capacity and asthma, he has experienced a miracle of epic proportions regarding his diagnosed tumor. For those who prayed, my heartfelt thanks, and please offer up a prayer of thanks for answered prayer.

Oh, Zack just received a new Playstation III (from me) so if anybody has any unused games they don't play anymore, they would make a wonderful gift.
vern

41 mag fan
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Prayers sent and prayers answered and tears shed. Right now I'm walking on clouds for the joy of hearing the good news about Zach.
Hopefully Zach will like the package that was sent to him. Please tell him Vern the packages come from people who care about him and want to see him have an extra special holiday season this year.
Thank You vern for keeping us posted on his progress

Gunslinger1911
11-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Vern, yes keep us posted !! I'll call the gunshop Friday and set a little sumthin up.

PS Paul
11-22-2012, 05:09 PM
My son has a lot of games (wife spoils the boy silly) so I am sending some of those PSII games, some targets, a few odds and ends and a nice Christmas package on Friday!
Paul

Olevern
11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
PSPaul,
I don't know if PSII games are compatable with the PSIII I just bought him (anybody know?) Nevertheless, they are welcome and I can, if necessary, pick him up a used PSII. Thank you very much for thinking of my little guy and making his Christmas special. I told him today of all that the board members have committed to do for him and he is overwhelmed, not quite understanding why others would consider him worthy of this special attention. It is a great lesson in caring for others for him and you guys are teaching life lessons by example. For what it's worth, this little guy is always thinking of others, he often asks when we are out and getting a snack, or eating at a restaurant if he can bring something home for his little sister (about four years of age). He is a special boy and has the makings, if properly nurtured, to develop into a man of stature and integrity. Helping him get there is my job (ministry) with the good Lord's help and I pray that He allows me to live to do that ministry to it's completion ('till he doesn't need me anymore).

41 mag fan
11-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Thank you Gunslinger and PSPaul...your help has made my day even better today!!

Vern if you would tell please Zach there is people out in this world whom he's liable to never meet that care and want and are praying and rooting for him to make a full and complete recovery.
Also don't think for a minute that Zach wont need you when he's into his adulthood. you've become like a grandfather to him....you've been there when he's needed you the most and in time we all come to lifes end, he'll be there for you also. If I was a bettting man, I'd put money on that one

PS Paul
11-23-2012, 01:19 AM
I told my boy about Zach at thanksgiving dinner. He leapt from the table(?) and ran to his room. He came out with a few games and said, "OK. Where does he live? Can we play these with him toorrow?". I looked at my wife and the tears werre rolling down her cheeks.... I've never felt so proud of him as I did at that moment, so thank YOU and God bless.
Paul

Olevern
11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Paul,
Good boy there...you're doing something right. Keep up the good work and never forget how blessed you are to have em.

41 mag fan
11-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Vern,
Found out from my brother the PSII games are not compatible with the PSIII.

Olevern
11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Shane,
like I said, if they are not compatable I don't think used PSII games systems are all that expensive.

PS Paul
11-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I found out the same thing about PSII; definitely won't work. Not to worry, though. I'm piling up some other stuff this morning at the store. What age is Zach? I saw his sister is 4 years old. I am looking at hats/gloves and warm-weather gear for him. Also targets, a brick of .22 that I can send FedEx, a swinging target stand and obviously something for his sister as well...... You know how kids are: gotta keep BOTH happy!!!

I'll be checking messages later and looking for Zach's age as I check.

Paul

41 mag fan
11-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Paul, Man that is so cool and nice buuying and sending things like that to Zach. I believe, but Vern can say for sure, but Zach is either 10 or 12 yrs old.

PS Paul
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Paul, Man that is so cool and nice buuying and sending things like that to Zach. I believe, but Vern can say for sure, but Zach is either 10 or 12 yrs old.

Oh, perfect! He is my boy's age, so that makes it easier! My little boy was just so happy to help him, he really wanted to meet Zach, but PA is all the way across the country for us. Nevertheless, I am in the gun and ammo business, so I do get to "strctch the dollar" a little bit further than your average shooter. That just means he gets more stuff, that's all (ha-ha)!!

Olevern
11-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Paul,
Zack just turned 11 years old. Outdoor apparel definately would be nice as he loves to be outside. He has really chaffed under the restrictions he has been under the last several weeks. He will be able to resume some limited activity now, consistent with his breathing situation at any given time, but will have to be watched closely for signs of labored breathing and take frequent breaks.

You guys are a godsend for this little guy and it appears he will have a great Christmas this year (probably the best ever for him).

Thank you again for your generousity.
vern

Wayne Smith
11-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Vern, have you had voice lessons? Has anyone taught you to breathe, as a singer does or for meditation? From what you have said he needs to expand his lower lobes and develop them. Breathing from your diaphragm does that. LOML, who has had voice training, once told me that, after singing a concert, if my throat hurt I was singing (breathing) wrong. If my lower back hurt, I was singing right.

If you know what I am talking about train him to breathe right, and teach his folks as well. It takes pretty constant practice to have a major effect.

Olevern
11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Wayne,
I have , for many years, been a Southern Gospel vocalist and that make perfect sense. I will see if we can apply that for Zack. I also am going to talk with his new pulmonary care physician about utilizing walks in the woods (with a gun :-)) to tax his pulmonary system a little bit at a time, resting when he is stressed. Hopefully, this will also build his lung capacity. I just don't want to get him too far from the vehicle so that, if necessary, I can get him to an emergency room if his rescue inhalor doesn't give him relief. Zack's mom is getting a notorized letter of permission to authorize treatment prepared for me as advised by the doctors at Children's Hospital.

I may even have him work on a duet with me to sing at my church. I'm thinking about "He's still working on me", a song that lends itself to two very disparate voices and is fun to sing (besides carrying a great message). I am heading out the the local gun pusher to give him the addy and fax number of the ffl who will be sending Zack's new .22 semi-auto in, and then over to pick Zack up and spend some time with him after being down in NJ for Thanksgiving with my daughter and her family. I will see if he is interested in singing with me then.

Great suggestion, thanks again,
blessings
vern

PS Paul
11-24-2012, 12:07 PM
You bet, Vern. Happy to do it and I'm pleased my family and I are able to do this! My boy asked if you have a picture of Zach and his sister? He wants to put it in his room with photos of his other favorites!! He is such a good little guy, despite his inherent "naughtiness" that he gets from me (ha-ha). My wife always reminds me of that anyway......

Paul

Ajax
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Vern,
Do you have a paypal address i know me and the wife would be proud to help this young man. I am sure others would as well.

Andy

PS Paul
11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Okay. I have talked to a few acquaintances who want to help as well...... Vern, could you please let the forum know if there is/are a particular gift card that would be appropriate? Home Depot, Safeway, restaurants, that sort of thing. It would need to be a chain-type retailer or restaurant since we are out here on the West coast. Grocery stores are good, but I am just not sure if there are Safeway or Pavilion/Von's stores out there or not? Drug stores like Walgreens or Rite Aid maybe too?
Paul

Olevern
11-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Vern,
Do you have a paypal address i know me and the wife would be proud to help this young man. I am sure others would as well.

Andy

Ajax,
paypal addy is

midimize2@dishmail.net

thanks,
vern

Olevern
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Okay. I have talked to a few acquaintances who want to help as well...... Vern, could you please let the forum know if there is/are a particular gift card that would be appropriate? Home Depot, Safeway, restaurants, that sort of thing. It would need to be a chain-type retailer or restaurant since we are out here on the West coast. Grocery stores are good, but I am just not sure if there are Safeway or Pavilion/Von's stores out there or not? Drug stores like Walgreens or Rite Aid maybe too?
Paul

Paul,
I think Walmart is probably the best, everything from groceries to clothing to toys.
vern

PS Paul
11-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Paul,
I think Walmart is probably the best, everything from groceries to clothing to toys.
vern

Why did I not think of that? Duhhh. It was even mentioned in an above post in this very thread.

OK. Got it and the wheels are now turning.

41 mag fan
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Man this forum is the best community a person can belong to. I don't know whose more excited. I'm amazed and excited this boys going to have an extra special time in his life due to the wonderful folks on this forum.
Or Zach......
he's getting a wonderful Christmas and more from the generosity of this forum. One that he wont understand till he's much older, how people care and will come together to help another person out and want to see a child have an extra special time of year.

Gunslinger1911
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Vern, "checks in the mail" as they say - really ! Use it for whatever -.22 ammo, ear / eye protection, etc.

As I said in PM, how about Zack using some of it to get his parents and sister something for Christmas - always ment a lot to me to be able to give presants to loved ones when I was young.

Ross

Olevern
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Vern, "checks in the mail" as they say - really ! Use it for whatever -.22 ammo, ear / eye protection, etc.

As I said in PM, how about Zack using some of it to get his parents and sister something for Christmas - always ment a lot to me to be able to give presants to loved ones when I was young.

Ross

Absolutely can do, thanks to all who have expressed a wish to help this really special boy. He has been given much to overcome and little in terms of material wealth, but always has a smile on his face. I will post up public thanks when I get a chance to (for those who have not asked to remain annonomous, of course I will respect those wishes); right now we are in the middle of Pa. firearm deer season. The schools around here are closed on the first day of buck season (yesterday) and Zack was devestated he would not be able to participate because of his breathing difficulties, but I worked out a deal with a farmer friend of mine who agreed to drive us to our stand in a cart pulled by a farm tractor, then stand by on walkie talkie to immediately come and take us out if Zack started having difficulty breathing. Of course, I also took his rescue inhaler with us. Unfortunately, the cold air and wind caused Zack to have difficulty and he had to be taken to my house to warm up and get an albuteral treatment after only about 45 minutes in the stand. We tried it again after his breathing returned to normal (responding to the treatment) but, unfortunately with similiar results. So, he hung out with me at the house the rest of the day and worked on building some 25-20 loads for one of my Marlin lever actions.

I tried to console him with the old "there's always next year" and he was receptive, but I could tell that he was really disappointed.

41 mag fan
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Bad thing is if a deer would come up, buck fever might set in and complicate his breathing further.

But...that buck that might of come by, if it survives this year will be even bigger next year....

Ajax
11-30-2012, 06:20 PM
paypal sent for Zach.

Andy and shirley jackson

Olevern
11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
paypal sent for Zach.

Andy and shirley jackson

Thank you and your wife, Andy
May God bless you and yours for what you have done for a wonderful boy.
vern

**oneshot**
11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Vern,
Let me know what size he is. I live about 1 1/2 hours away. I have 2 boys that outgrow stuff faster than I can take tags off. not to mention games and such. I'll go through my hunting stuff, let me know what he needs.

Tom

Olevern
12-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Tom,
looked at the pair of pants he wore over yesterday (yeah, he left them on the bathroom floor) and they are a size 10. He could use a pair of orange hunting pants if that is something outgrown by your boys. If you are close, maybe we could get the boys together to shoot sometime in the spring.
vern

41 mag fan
12-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Vern, I am proud to loudly say the folks on this forum are the most caring and generous people on the planet. I hope this will help lift your spririts, with everything going on in your life right now, seeing everyone come together to help a little boy out. Makes for a wonderful Christmas season, seeing everyones outpouring of help

Olevern
12-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Vern, I am proud to loudly say the folks on this forum are the most caring and generous people on the planet. I hope this will help lift your spririts, with everything going on in your life right now, seeing everyone come together to help a little boy out. Makes for a wonderful Christmas season, seeing everyones outpouring of help

Indeed, I am humbled by your generousity and caring.

Wayne Smith
12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Vern, in cold weather put a scarf or something like that around his mouth and nose and he can breathe into it. This will both warm and dampen the incoming air. It should be relatively thick to hold some moisture. Remember that the air we breathe out typically is about 75% re-breathable. This is an old idea that still works. Wouldn't surprise me if there is already a breathe warmer out there, just like electric socs and gloves.

Olevern
12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Vern, in cold weather put a scarf or something like that around his mouth and nose and he can breathe into it. This will both warm and dampen the incoming air. It should be relatively thick to hold some moisture. Remember that the air we breathe out typically is about 75% re-breathable. This is an old idea that still works. Wouldn't surprise me if there is already a breathe warmer out there, just like electric socs and gloves.

Wayne, I got him a face mask, which we tried out today. He was able to stay out on stand (for deer) three hours so it really helped. It is the kind that pulls down over his head and the top is a knit hat and the only thing open is a slot for the eyes. To tell the truth, I think the limit today was his attention span and not the breathing. Of course, it was somewhat warmer than the last time we tried. Had turkeys all around us, but of course, couldn't shoot them, only deer in season. The turkeys were regrouping after being scattered and we stayed still and watched it happen right in front of us in a small field. Even 'though we didn't get a deer, we had a great day out in the field. When we called for our ride, I asked the farmer who hosted us if he would join us down the road at a Chinese buffet, so we all went down and enjoyed a great meal (perhaps I enjoyed it a little too much)...Took Zack with me to the Christmas tree lighting service and he helped me set up and tear down my sound equipment (I made sure he only handled the light stuff) and then took him home at about 8:00 P.M. Great day spent with my little buddy and he only had to take his rescue inhaler three times today.

Wayne Smith
12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Vern, that sounds like a Balaklava (sp), and will work for moderate cold. I can remember as a kid in Maine having a couple of layers over my face and there being ice on the outside layer. I could still breathe easily and the air was warmed by the time it got to my lungs. Very cold weather shocks the lung when breathed. Until he re-establishes expansion of his lower lobes this will continue to be a problem, and with his asthma it may be a problem anyway.

Lively Boy
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
pay pal sent
Lively Boy and wife...Merry Christmas
p.s. what kind of ps3 games would Zach like (and little sis as well)? my boys have a few...

Olevern
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
pay pal sent
Lively Boy and wife...Merry Christmas
p.s. what kind of ps3 games would Zach like (and little sis as well)? my boys have a few...

Lively Boy and wife: thanks for your interest in making Zack's Christmas a wonderful one.
As for the games, please check the other thread, where I answered the question.
blessings,
vern

Frosty Boolit
12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
In the mail, and, to the top.

Lively Boy
12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Just pm'd Vern, but thought I'd let everyone else know, the package is in the mail tomorrow from Wyoming