PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Question

lead-1
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
What is up with every single post having a scroll bar, I use my scroll wheel to read the page and when I get over someone's post, their words start scrolling off the post.
Thus I have to scroll down the page and then up or down each post on that page, Is there a way to remove that function?
Also, is there a way to remove the auto-saved function?

starmac
11-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Not on mine, things have been changing up, but I haven't seen that. Knock on wood. lol

lead-1
11-21-2012, 01:18 AM
OK, I figured out the scroll bar thing, if you adjust the print size with the CTRL button and scroll wheel method certain sizes will give you the scroll bars on each post.
Now if I could just figure out a way to lose the auto-save.

Gunload Master
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
What's wrong with the auto save?

lead-1
11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
What's wrong with the auto save?

Sir, there is nothing wrong with it as it seems to work just as it does on the other forums that I visit.
The problem to me is some bad experiences, like when I proof read and see something I left out and go back to add to it. Say, I delete a word or two from the middle of what I type and start to type something in that spot, for every letter I type in that spot, a letter from the end of what was already typed disappears. Then I have to retype what has vanished from the end of the post, sometimes they disappear from the word next to what I'm typing, lol.
I know that sound goofy but I have this happen on two other forums, one forum is so bad that I type what I want in notepad then copy and paste to the forum so I don't have to worry about missing letters or words, lol.

Gunload Master
11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Actually what you have is the "Delete" key function turned on via your keyboard. If you look above where your arrows are on your keyboard you will see an "Insert" and "Delete" key. If you just push the Insert key down then you will insert text where you want to type instead of delete it or "type over" the words.. Give that a try, just hit the Insert key and do what you are doing and see if that solves your problem.

snuffy
11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Lead1, there's a button to the right of the main keyboard ""insert"". Hit that button once you have your cursor where you want to put in new words. I never have to do that, could be your operating system or software needs updating.

GM beat me to it by 3 minutes!:coffee:

lead-1
11-21-2012, 02:19 PM
OK, I will try that next time, thanks.

smokeywolf
01-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Anybody know this one?

When I'm typing a post, every few seconds I see "Auto Save" appear hilited in yellow. I assume that what I'm typing is being saved to a folder somewhere. How do I find that folder?

My son got a new mouse for xmas and I keep hitting the back button on the mouse accidentally and loosing everything that I typed.

smokeywolf

P.K.
01-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Anybody know this one?

When I'm typing a post, every few seconds I see "Auto Save" appear hilited in yellow. I assume that what I'm typing is being saved to a folder somewhere. How do I find that folder?

My son got a new mouse for xmas and I keep hitting the back button on the mouse accidentally and loosing everything that I typed.

smokeywolf

Dunno about a folder somewhere except on your own system in the form of cache (It's not in cyberspace yet untill you hit post). As for that back button issue either reconfig the mouse setup in your control panel ( Win OS, don't ask me about the fruit...;-) ) or do it the old guy way with youngsters that like to hammer on his keyboard, highlight and copy every few lines or so. That way if one of the kids closes the window or worse, I just paste the text.
Good luck!

Gunload Master
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Its stored in our database automatically. And if you do happen to leave the post you were writing you can go back to the original place you wdre writing the post and right below the text box will say restore auto-save. If you click that it will bring up the text you were writing from the last save point.

gbrown
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Personally, I'm +1 with the autosave feature. As forgetful as I am, I always go back and check to make sure I got something right, and with the pre-autosave, I was always losing my post. I think it's a great update feature. Hats off to the staff for the hardwork on the new system.

P.K.
01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Its stored in our database automatically. And if you do happen to leave the post you were writing you can go back to the original place you wdre writing the post and right below the text box will say restore auto-save. If you click that it will bring up the text you were writing from the last save point.

Very Cool....No more copy and paste!

cbrick
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Rick likes the auto save function, saved my hieny a couple of times.

I learned the "insert" key awhile back because my email program did the same thing. It was either figure it out or get fitted for a straight jacket. :mrgreen:

Rick