PDA

View Full Version : In the mail today

tomme boy
11-20-2012, 08:59 PM
So I go to check the mail today. I notice that I have a letter in there from my foot doctor. I have not been to him in over 2 1/2 years. In it they state that they did a audit to their books. They say I owe them $94. And if I don't pay in 30 days they are going to turn me into a collection agency.

I go threw all of my old bills and I can't find that I owe them anything. I called them and they say it might have not ever been billed back then. Now, I really don't feel I owe them anything. There has to be some kind of statue of limitations on how long since they billed this. I have never been late on my bills.

Anyone know anything about something like this?

oneokie
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Write them a letter saying that until they produce a hard copy of the bill with the error you are not paying. Check your state laws on the statute of limitations on those kinds of debts.

fatnhappy
11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
HMO's have a manadatory billing limit with their in plan doctors. If your doctor didn't bill within 90 days (here in NY) your HMO won't pay, and he knows it. He's trying to pass the debt to you.

I would send him a certified letter explaining you're not in the habit of rectifying someone else's business failures. Moreover point out that it took and auditor to discover the alleged discrepancy. If his office staff didn't believe you owed the practice money, why should he be so insistent on the debt's validity? You deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't pay him a cent. Further, if he sends it to collections, simply contest the charges and leave it at that. Don't get sucked into trying to prove or disprove anything. Just contest the charges and call it a day.

1911sw45
11-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi. This is 1911sw45's wife. I'm an HIM director, and I have a few questions. Did you have medical insurance when you were seen, and did they submit the claim to the insurance? If so, did you pay a co-pay? Who is/was your insurance provider? Look at your provider's rules and regs for timely submission of claims. All payers have a window of time in which a claim can be submitted. If you paid a co-pay and the MD did not bill the insurance in a timely manner and now they are trying to collect it from you, you need to call your insurance provider and then the Office of Inspector General for your state. If you are on Medicare, they will be in some big trouble, as a patient cannot be billed for claims not submitted within 365 days of the date of service, and the MD/facility CANNOT bill the patient for the balance.

Cheryl

tomme boy
11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
I no longer work at the place that I was then. Supposed to be my part of the bill. Here is the funny part, I have to check tomorrow, but I think I had hit my max out of pocket before the visits that they say I did not pay.

WILCO
11-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Call the insurance carrier with a date of service. Go forward from there. Don't let this stress you out.

lead-1
11-21-2012, 01:36 AM
HMO's have a manadatory billing limit with their in plan doctors. If your doctor didn't bill within 90 days (here in NY) your HMO won't pay, and he knows it. He's trying to pass the debt to you.

I agree with this, there is a local hospital that is down right nasty about using this practice. I was sent a bill about 14 months after a visit with their heart doctor, after that much time I assumed that my insurance took care of it, their nasty-gram was just that and demanded immediate payment or else. When I called about turning it into insurance I was informed it was too late.
I said turn me in and made them take wait, the last twelve bucks I owed them was paid three easy payments just to be nasty back to them.

troy_mclure
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I was billed the same way as the op. I had a hernia repair(which took care of my out of pocket expenses) then I had a complication from it a month later.
Almost 2 years later I get a bill for $8500 for the complication. I called the insurance company immediately and they told me not to pay a cent. The place is no longer in the "network" of my insurance company, and I have never heard back from them.

bob208
11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
just act like you did not receive it. they will soon tire of the game and realise you are not going to play their game.

41 mag fan
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Bad thing is, if the problems not resolved, and you need to go back to this foot dr, he can refuse you service. Hospitals cant refuse you service no matter how much you owe, but drs can.

snuffy
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Maybe I'm way off base here, but if you ignore it they may report it to the credit agency. It could affect your ability to get a loan. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already done that.