PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ear muff recommendations

Alstep
11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking about getting a pair of electronic ear muffs. I've heard that some of them will amplify normal sounds, something that I could really use, as my hearing is getting so bad that I can't make out some range commands. What do you all recommend, and what should I stay away from? Appreciate your input.
Thanks, Al

Artful
11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?157979-Good-electronic-hearing-protection&highlight=electronic+hearing+

Short version
Most brands are good - but you have to consider the design against your use.

IE - some of the highest NRR rated muffs do not work as well with rifle shooting especially with some straight stocked guns (AR's)
- Some take funky / expensive batteries - I like when they take what I stock - ie (AA, AAA, 9v) dislike N or button battery useage
- Have you considered the custom inside the ear canal plugs? - you can get them with electronic amplification and they don't interfere with rifle shooting. They do take funky hearing aid battery but at least I can get them at Sam's Club

TCFAN
11-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I use the Howard Leight R 01526 Electronic earmuff. They work good for me. I wear hearing aids in both ears except when I shoot. The electronic muffs help me hear all that I need too.....Terry

jcwit
11-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I've had a number of different brands. So far Howard Leigth is the best for me, not really the highest prices, but far from being the cheapest either.

Mal Paso
11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Pro-Ears Gold chopped cup for rifle. Way too much money ($300 list). Excellent sound. Works like new after 4 years of steady use. I guess made in USA, Mil-Spec Board, Gold Plated Contacts wasn't just a sales pitch.

DRNurse1
11-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I started with an inexpensive set to see what all the hoopla is about. I like them so far, work well indoors and out and I like hearing those with whom I am shooting when we are not shooting. One thing I would like, not found on my current set, is a behind the neck rather than over head design. I think I have seen this design but do not know who manufactures them. Agree with the battery issue, for all electronics (cell phones!!!!computers!!!!) as well.

Jailer
11-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I use the Howard Leight R 01526 Electronic earmuff. They work good for me. I wear hearing aids in both ears except when I shoot. The electronic muffs help me hear all that I need too.....Terry

Same exact situation as me. I wear mine all day comfortably when I shoot IDPA and the batteries generally last a little over a year for me. I use them quite often too.