PDA

View Full Version : UBERTI 1860 HENRY....good , bad or ?

gwpercle
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
When in grade school , 1959 or so, while studying the War Between The States, one of my classmates was allowed to bring to class an 1860 brass framed Henry rifle and some other artifictes that his ancestor carried in that conflict. I got to hold that rifle. From then to this day I have allways wanted one. Uberti sells replica's but before I spend any hard earned money I would like to hear from any persons who have had experience with them. Good , bad or indifferent opinions are welcomed. I would hate to buy something when everyone who has ever owned one could have told me DONT buy one, not good. If I did get one I was thinking about a 44-40 cal. is that a problem.

geargnasher
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I have one of the ones that Uberti made for Cimmaron Arms, in .45 Colt. VERY nice rifle and worth every penny of the cost. The fit and finish is very good, and stands up to a close scrutiny. The action is smooth and function is flawless, never had a single problem with it. It's also very accurate and likes both the Lyman 452664 and 454190 just as I load them for SAA-style revolvers. My only complaint was the plain, red-stained, straight-grained buttstock, so I made a new one out of fancy black walnut and checkered the wrist to suit my taste.

Here are some pics:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25357&d=1284351780

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25356&d=1284351766

The receiver looks scratched in the pics, but it's just fingerprints and reflections. It was polished like a mirror out of the box.

Gear

59sharps
11-20-2012, 09:41 PM
When in grade school , 1959 or so, while studying the War Between The States, one of my classmates was allowed to bring to class an 1860 brass framed Henry rifle and some other artifictes that his ancestor carried in that conflict. I got to hold that rifle. From then to this day I have allways wanted one. Uberti sells replica's but before I spend any hard earned money I would like to hear from any persons who have had experience with them. Good , bad or indifferent opinions are welcomed. I would hate to buy something when everyone who has ever owned one could have told me DONT buy one, not good. If I did get one I was thinking about a 44-40 cal. is that a problem.

I would go w/ the 44-40. they seam to be more accurate than the 45 colts, from what I have heard from friends and have read in the past. I reload for 2 of them. the cases are not hard to load as some may say. Im using the RCBS 429dia-240 sil 29 grn 3fffg large pistol primer.

Gunslinger1911
11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I liked the looks of them for years also, saw a brass framed 45 Colt one in a gun shop, had to have it !!!

Shoots great !

Geargnasher - that is an awsome piece of wood !!!! and some fine workmanship !!

waksupi
11-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Don't try to hot rod them. You can stretch the frame. I don't want to talk about it.

WyrTwister
11-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Rapid fire , the barrel will get hot .

Yes , a brass frame should not be subjected to hot loads .

Also keep it clean and well lubed .

Brass is quite a bit softer than steel .

God bless
Wyr

gwpercle
11-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Geargnasher , nice stock job .
Glad to hear favorable reports. I don't plan on hotrodding, just standard loads for tin cans and paper targets. I was concerned about the roughness of the action, feeding and ejection but that does not seem to be a concern. I am aware of the hot barrel during rapid fire but they just look so cool....at times good looks trumps function. I'll just deal with it. Going to start saving my nickels and dimes and see about getting one for Christmas 2013. I have been promised a better economey for next year and our polititions never misslead us...right?

gary

geargnasher
11-22-2012, 02:15 AM
For doing lots of plinking, I have an alternate mouse-phart load using Red Dot and 200-grain boolits that keeps the barrel a mite cooler. It's really hard not to rip off all eleven rounds quickly when bouncing cans, so you are warned about that and the uncontrollable stupid grin you'll get from shooting it!

Gear

Aje
11-22-2012, 06:40 AM
I have one in 45 colt also have an 1866, 3 1873's & an 1876 never had a problem with any of them actions are smooth from the factory & can be made slick as Bat guana, fit & finish is very good although I'm not a fan of the red stained stocks. (Nice wood & work there Geargnasher)
A friend had to replace the magazine follower on his Henry when a novice accidently let it go while trying to load the rifle it slamed into the frame & broke off so thats something to look out for.
If it's fun your after you have to try black powder in these old lever guns, puts a stupid grin on everyones face.
When I'm shooting smokeless in the 44/40 I find an RCBS #82036 boolit over 5.5gns of Trailboss to work very well.

Aje

avogunner
11-22-2012, 08:14 AM
My Uberti Henry is also .45 Colt and it is truly one of my favorites in the safe. +1 to what everyone has said about fit/finish (nice workmanship) and hot loads (not for the Henry). My normal plinking load is the Lee 255 gr with a suitable amount of trail boss and it's not hard to keep a 2 inch (sometimes a little less) group at 75yds. I'll also use scholfield brass sometimes when I expect to be overun by commie hoards at the range - it doesn't take long to unleash a 15rnd FPF.
Semper Fi.

BHTArrows
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I've always wanted one of these rifles also, so I'm interested in what you find out. The brass frame is appealing but I think I am going to get the steel frame so I can hot rod it a little.

geargnasher
11-23-2012, 12:56 PM
You can't hotrod the steel frame much either with rifles using the "toggle-link" locking mechanism. If you want to hotrod, buy a Marlin.

Gear

KCSO
11-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Mine was a Uberti n 44-40 converted to 44 special and loded with a 200 grain bullett and 26 grains of FFG for a duplicate of the original load. A very accurate shooter and a very well made gun. Stay away from the Charter Arms guns though.

Buzzard II
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
I shoot an iron frame Uberti Henry repro in 44-40, black powder only, in North South Skirmish Asscoiation competition and it's a neat gun to shoot. I'm still experimenting with loads. I've had mine for about 10 years. Yeah, it gets hot-so wear a leather glove like most N-SSA shooters. Use good lube-I use SPG. I use mostly Starline brass. I spray lube the brass, then tumble clean it after it's sized. Most any large pistol primer. Accurate bullet 43-215c is my next bullet to try out-25 to 1 lead. Swiss and KIK powder work pretty good and don't leave much hard fouling. Just had a trigger job done to it and had rear sight moved to receiver- this was optional on early original guns. I would recommend the iron Uberti over the brass frame. Good shooting! Bob

Buzzard II
11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Geargnasher-that stock is beautiful! Real nice workmanship! Wish I had one!

geargnasher
11-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks. I like your 409!

Gear

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-24-2012, 02:16 AM
I owned one in 45LC, because I don't reload for any pistol cartridges that Dillon doesn't make a SDB for.

Those Iron Frame rifles, aka the UPRR Model, are just too nice looking to resist. I am looking for another one in 45LC.

hightime
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I thought I had posted to this topic before, but I see it not.

I have a Henry in a 44-40 and I really like it. It's actually my most accurate pistol caliber rifle, and it looks cool. I intend to hunt white tail with it.

Owen54423

John Boy
11-24-2012, 05:35 PM
gwpercle, does this say something good about the Uberti '60 Henry in 45 Colt?

Two in a row at 500 meters ...
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/?action=view&current=PDRM2906.jpg

WinMike
11-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I can't get by the lack of forearm on the Henry. But I do own a Uberti 1873 chambered in .357. Love it, it's well made, gorgeous and accurate.

bob208
11-25-2012, 06:13 PM
i know a few that own henry repro.'s i have not heard anything bad about them. i have a 66 in .44-40. i am going to take it deer hunting tomorrow.

hightime
11-25-2012, 07:18 PM
WinMike, just how accurate is that 357? I have a 1873 in a 45 Colt that barely does the job. What I mean by that is I could probably shoot a deer at a 100 yds . About pie plate accuracy. I love the gun. If I could get more accuracy from a 357, I'd save up and get one.

Owen

WinMike
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
So we don't hi-jack this thread, I created a new one.

gwpercle
11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I thought I had posted to this topic before, but I see it not.

I have a Henry in a 44-40 and I really like it. It's actually my most accurate pistol caliber rifle, and it looks cool. I intend to hunt white tail with it.

Owen54423
Hightime ,
Tell us about the rear sight on your Henry. I can use a reciever/peep sight , but not the barrel mounted open sight that is standard and would like to put one on mine......what is it and any problems installing ? I'm talking about the peep/tang sight on your's

gary

hightime
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
It's just a Lyman peep for a '66 Winchester. Drill and tap. Every Lyman I'm installed needed a brass shim under one side or the other to get it to stand straight.

Owen

gwpercle
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Owen,
Thanks for information, going to look at sights right now and will get some brass for shimming. Appreciate the heads up on shim, will save a range trip or two and some aggravation when sighting in. You guys are such a great wealth of infomation. Thanks again,

gary

gwpercle
11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
i know a few that own henry repro.'s i have not heard anything bad about them. i have a 66 in .44-40. i am going to take it deer hunting tomorrow.
Let us know how you do on hunt and what load are you using. It would be so cool to take a deer with a 1860 Henry rifle and 44-40 handload with cast boolit. Good luck

gary

hightime
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I agree that would be cool. I hope to do that someday too.

Gary, I cut a thin strip of brass about 2'' long and an eighth wide for the shim, loosen the screws and slid it under the edge and retighten, on another I cut the shim a 1/4'' wide and folded and flattened it for a thicker shim.

Owen