PDA

View Full Version : Flux

Bad Water Bill
11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Here is a source many of us have overlooked

I found I was out of SAWDUST the other day and no wood to create sawdust.

Home Depot and Menards came to the rescue. I ended up with enough sawdust to last a long time PLUS found a couple young fellows that will now start casting.[smilie=s:

imashooter2
11-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I've emptied the pencil sharpener once when I was caught short...

runfiverun
11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
i have filed coal down into dust,used fireplace ashes,dead grass ,leaves,pencil shavings,shredded paper,used corn cob media,marvelux,cigarette ashes.
and fire to flux many pots.

Bad Water Bill
11-19-2012, 12:55 AM
i have filed coal down into dust,used fireplace ashes,dead grass ,leaves,pencil shavings,shredded paper,used corn cob media,marvelux,cigarette ashes.
and fire to flux many pots.

Wow never thought of all of those options. THANK YOU SIR

blikseme300
11-19-2012, 05:48 AM
I get mine from animal bedding purchased at McCoy's farm and ranch supplier. About $4.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sasquatch-1
11-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Has anyone ever tried Pastacio shells. I have some that I have been saving and will try on the patch on range scrap I get. May take a while to lay in a good supply of the shells but I'll just have to force myself.

imashooter2
11-19-2012, 08:25 AM
No doubt they would work fine, but I'm not interested in getting any extra salt in the pot...

Jack Stanley
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm saving a couple spruce trees out back just for my next occasion of running out of sawdust .

Jack

Wayne Smith
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Has anyone ever tried Pastacio shells. I have some that I have been saving and will try on the patch on range scrap I get. May take a while to lay in a good supply of the shells but I'll just have to force myself.

I ought to try that, I only eat the unsalted ones.

gandydancer
11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Bad water Bill. After reading this post yesterday I went to lowe's to pick up some dust and they had a large box of it. BUT! it was mixed with anything and everything a lot of plywood (full of glue) all kinds of fake wood. treated wood. I would be afraid to use it. but it was a good idea. I tried some ceder. And that was a big mastake I was sick for three days. Gandy

doctorggg
11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
i bought a 40 pound bag of pure pine wood pellets at WalMart for less than $5.00. Soak them in water, let them dry and you will have plenty of pine sawdust. Works for me.

rsrocket1
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I've taken charcoal briquettes and used a hammer, dustpan and whisk broom. Reduces the oxidized tin real well and puts a protective layer over the melt. It's also a little less smokey than sawdust.

Calamity Jake
11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Walnut hulls clean brass for so long then the corners get warren enough to not clean well, makes a good flux and smells good too.

trixter
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Walnut hulls clean brass for so long then the corners get warren enough to not clean well, makes a good flux and smells good too.

If you use polish, I would be a little concerned about that in the mix. Dunnno?

Bad Water Bill
11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
If you use polish, I would be a little concerned about that in the mix. Dunnno?

Just how much lead ??? from the primers are you going to put in your room using dirty used stuff? Life is to short and Dr bills to high. Use clean stuff or something else and be safe.