PDA

View Full Version : Anybody out there tried Wire Pull lube for boolit lube?

truckjohn
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey all,

I got a bottle of Wire Pull lube as cheap-o case lube.

Seems to work pretty well for that.

Anybody ever tried it out in cast boolit lube....
maybe as a tumble lube or something?

Says it contains:
Water
paraffin wax
Propylene glycol....

so it might not be a good lube -- probably about the same as
paraffin wax on bullets.

Thanks

John

abunaitoo
06-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I remember reading about this a while ago. I think it was on this site. Might try and do a search.
What brand are you using????
Is it easy to clean off after resizing????
How are you putting it on?????
Sounds like it maybe something like the Lee case lube.

Maven
06-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Someone once claimed on either the last days of the Shooters' Talk site or the early days of this one that it made a good bullet lube, but little/no supporting data was provided. I tried it as an undercoat prior to sizing and lubing CB's, but didn't think it would be effective as a stand-alone bullet lube as pulling wire at a few fps isn't as punishing as the higher pressure, fps & rpms that CB's are subjected to. However, it's quite useful for prelubing CB's prior to using a Lee Precision push-through sizing die.

Silvyus
06-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the tip I am an electrician but never thought about wire lube in any of my casting. I use a lee push through and it could same time and LLA so thanks

Jim
06-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I've tried it and found that it works. HOWEVER, it doesn't work very well past about a K of M/V. Furthermore, it goes back to a semi-liquid at warm temps. If you leave your loads in the trunk in the summertime or they sit in the sun at the range for a while, it gets runny. If you load rounds lubed with it in a hot gun, shoot 'em quick. I don't think it's a good choice.

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2007, 09:02 PM
what jim said. Im a lineman by trade and weve got two brands of it at work and i figured id ran into a good thing when i heard it could be used as tumble lube. Now tumble lube from lee never impressed me but it does work on low and medium velocity loads if everything is right. The cable lube worked ok but fell on its face at about 1000 fps. I guess even wax will work for low velocity stuff and id about guess that cable lube is no better then wax. Just my opinon and theres some that have had luck with it.

44man
06-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Seems as if he was asking about case sizing lube, not boolit lube. I use Hornady Unique and Young Country size lube. A tub of either lasts for years and wipes right off with a rag or can be washed off with soapy water. I just give the cases a quick wipe. Of course I load slow and prefer accuracy of a few rounds over spraying lead downrange. It doesn't bother me to take a dab and apply it with my fingers, size and wipe. I don't like the greasy stuff like RCBS or STP, Hard to clean off. Lanolin works and a pound will last a lifetime.

Tom W.
06-17-2007, 12:06 AM
I've only used it as a patch lube in my ragnose. It wasn't any better than crisco in that aspect.

Linstrum
06-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Hi, guys, I just posted over on SPECIAL PROJECTS under the thread on WD40 about using electrician's wire pulling lube as a case sizing lube since it appears to be the same or very similar stuff as Lee water based case sizing lube. I think it was Carpetman who first called it to our attention a few years back that electrician's wire pulling lube seemed to be the same as Lee's water-base case sizing lube.

I have been using IDEAL YELLOW 77 WIRE PULLING LUBRICANT, part number #31-358 that I got at Lowe's as a case sizing lube with the same results as Lee water based lube. Lanolin works better but is a mess to clean up so I only use lanolin for my .50 BMG and other big difficult-to-size cases.

As far as using electrician's wire pulling lube in any capacity as a bullet lube, it seems that Jim, Lloyd Smale, and the others who tried it (including myself) have found its limits, and they are low. I think Maven’s procedures are the best way to utilize the stuff for boolits. After I experimented with it, it seemed to me to be lacking in the necessary qualities required for bearing pressure well in a thin layer at high velocity. It is not lacking lubricity since Astroglide and KY Jelly are just about the most slippery substances I have ever encountered, but they just don't hold up well in a gun barrel! Same with electrician's wire pulling lube, but it works okay on cases.

Lloyd Smale
06-17-2007, 07:06 AM
if your looking for case lube 44 man has the answer. Anhydous lanolin. Buy a tub of it and it will about last your lifetime and ive found nothing lacking in the way it works.
Seems as if he was asking about case sizing lube, not boolit lube. I use Hornady Unique and Young Country size lube. A tub of either lasts for years and wipes right off with a rag or can be washed off with soapy water. I just give the cases a quick wipe. Of course I load slow and prefer accuracy of a few rounds over spraying lead downrange. It doesn't bother me to take a dab and apply it with my fingers, size and wipe. I don't like the greasy stuff like RCBS or STP, Hard to clean off. Lanolin works and a pound will last a lifetime.

Linstrum
06-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey, there, Lloyd! Yup, the anhydrous pharmaceutical grade of lanolin can't be beat for extreme ease of case sizing, as well as other types of metal-drawing work. When my old shooting buddy introduced me to reloading in bulk, all he ever used was plain anhydrous lanolin. He told me to get Vitalis hair dressing if I couldn't find any lanolin since that is all Vitalis was made out of back in those days, it was straight lanolin laced with a bit of vanilla and rum to make it smell purty like the old fashioned Bay Rum hair pomade. Like you said, a little goes a long ways, too, which was also Vitalis' advertising slogan - "A little dab will do ya". Or was that Brill Cream? Anyway, yeah, it doesn't take much to do a good job!

truckjohn
06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I bought it to use as case lube -- the Surplus Rifle Website (Before it went down) did some tests with Wire Pull vs other lubes on the market. Their published results showed it was probably as good as anything else.

I already have Ideal case lube, Hornday one shot, and RCBS case slick.

Thanks

John

wdm004
06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
The Surplus Rifle site is still up, and will be for the forseeable future. This article about sizing brass mentions wire pull lubricant. Here is a link to that aricle: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/brasstrimming/index.asp