PDA

View Full Version : Bore brush question

XBT
06-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I’ve been using Tipton bronze bore brushes for cleaning and they seem to break down quickly, shedding short (and sharp!) pieces of wire everywhere. Will I have better service from other brands? Any suggestions?

bruce drake
06-16-2007, 12:53 PM
What is your cleaning fluid? If the label says "copper remover" those brushes will disentegrate very quickly.

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, look in Brownell's catalogue. They have a wide selection of sizes. No more trying to thoroughly clean an 8mm with a skinny .30 brush, or quickly wearing out a .35 in the same 8mm. Also, all, or nearly all, sizes are available in short pistol length or long rifle length. A dream come true for us .35 riflemen. I imagine your friendly local gun shop could stock a wider range, but they won't. Can't blame them for not stocking slow sellers. Brownell's gives a discount to C&R licensees and has a flat rate on shipping most items.

XBT
06-16-2007, 03:02 PM
What is your cleaning fluid? If the label says "copper remover" those brushes will disentegrate very quickly.

I use mostly Hoppes #9 and WD-40.

versifier
06-16-2007, 04:12 PM
If you are using a Tipton set, you are most likely using the correct size. I use Tipton, too, and don't have problems with them. About the only thing I have found that will kill a bronze brush (besides copper solvent) is stopping and reversing the brush in mid-barrel. That will kill any bronze brush very quickly, in the manner you describe.

twotoescharlie
06-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a lot of 8mm firearms. I order my brushes from Midsouth or Midway. usually get 2 dozen at a time.
as they wear down I use them in the smaller calibers . a couple of dozen will last a long while this way. I also wash them with laquer thinner after each use.

TTC

38-55
06-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Try "otis " brushes...
Calvin

monadnock#5
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Montana Extreme sells quality nylon brushes.

Blammer
06-16-2007, 09:25 PM
nylon brush is the way to go...

arkypete
06-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I've found old brushes make great jags for wrapping cleaning patch around and dunking in the bore solvent then swamping out the barrel.
The same set up can be used with JB bore paste.
Old brushes are always useful.
Jim

GP100man
06-16-2007, 10:44 PM
+1 for nylon brushes, ever cleaned a rifle & never seemed to get that last little bit of blue to go away ,well it was coming from the bronze brushes!!!!
i use nylon now & give the solvent time to do its thing before brushing & patching.
just my 2cents worth

GP100man

:castmine:

Shepherd2
06-17-2007, 06:58 AM
I switched to nylon brushes a few months ago and they hold up a lot better than the bronze brushes. I was going thru a bunch of bronze brushes cleaning milsurp rifles and I wasn't sure if the blue coming out of the barrels was fouling or bronze brush. With the nylon I know where the blue came from.

I was also wondering if some of the blue I got while using jags was jag or fouling. I found some nickle plated jags at Midway that I like real well.

Ricochet
06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Ammonia will also dissolve nickel and make a bright blue Werner complex, similar to that with copper. That's how I get the copper-nickel metal fouling out of my Mausers after shooting Turkish surplus ammo.
:-D

mike in co
06-17-2007, 08:48 PM
you guys use brushes ????

i find them handy for cleaning case necks.....

in a bore...??

hmmmm

dromia
06-18-2007, 03:05 AM
I use nylon with ammonia and bronze with Eds Red in turn about.

The bronze does a bit better at scrubbing I feel that's why I stick with them as part of my cleaning process but a definite no no with ammonia or ammonia based products.

That is the beauty of cast Boolits no need for the ammonia, still need it though to get copper free barrels in the first place.

Hey Mike brushes in a bore are great, steel is best, get the end of that cleaning rod on a drill and in 15 minutes your barrel will be nice and shiny. LoL

jonk
06-18-2007, 09:03 AM
I use nylon with ammonia and bronze with Eds Red in turn about.

The bronze does a bit better at scrubbing I feel that's why I stick with them as part of my cleaning process but a definite no no with ammonia or ammonia based products.

That is the beauty of cast Boolits no need for the ammonia, still need it though to get copper free barrels in the first place.

Hey Mike brushes in a bore are great, steel is best, get the end of that cleaning rod on a drill and in 15 minutes your barrel will be nice and shiny. LoL
If you run a cleaning rod on a drill, you are cutting across the rifling- wearing the nice sharp edges off your lands! Only in the worst rust cases would I try this, and then never again! I tend to think you are joking, but that's nothing to joke about!

I use steel occasionally, but generally good old bronze.

dromia
06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I confess, I was Joking.

I've seen many a good barrel knackered by the old steel gauzes you used to get on old pull throughs.

The steel turks head brush for shotguns gives me the willies but I know people that use them with gusto.

AZ-Stew
06-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I've had good results with the ProShot line of cleaning gear. They have a broad selection of brush sizes and jags. I think some of their jags are a bit large, though. I had to chuck up the .22 in my lathe and turn it down a bit with some emory cloth to get it to pass through the bore as easily as it should.

I use pure cotton patches from (of all places) Sothern Bloomer Mfg. Co. ( http://www.southernbloomer.com/ ). These are the best quality and most reasonably priced patches I've found. They're a lot better than the G.I. issue ones we had in the Navy.

The most gentle way I know to remove heavy copper deposits is the Outer's Foul-Out system. It works well and does not cause abrasion to the bore.

Regards,

Stew

TAWILDCATT
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
FAITH ASSOCIATES IN NC.
1 doz bronze brush $6.00
shot gun=$ 7.00 dz

:coffee: :Fire: