PDA

View Full Version : I found aluminum muffin pans

gwpercle
11-17-2012, 09:00 PM
I have used a bare uncoated alumin. mini-muffin pan as an ignot mould for years but when looking for another recently could only find coated/painted steel. these rust...have several steel baking pans and two spring-form pans and each one has a rust problem. I wanted aluminum but didn't see any.

Tonight while looking for an aluminum spring-form pan in the baking section ( rust in a cheesecake not good ) a lady told us to check the arts and crafts section, there is a cake decorating section there...and alumnium bakeware , all kinds. They had the plain uncoated aluminum stuff made by Wilton : spring-form, mini-muffin pans, regular size muffin pans and jumbo size muffin pans, and all sorts of cake pans ( like spider man , hellow kitty, and football helmets etc. )

I have found these at Wally Mart and Pottery Barn...in the special cake decorating sections not the cookware/pots and pan section. These are just the ticket for ignot moulds as lead doesn't stick , no rust , and three sizes to choose from.

gary

I'll Make Mine
11-17-2012, 11:13 PM
My only concern with aluminum for ingot molds is that if my smelt is a little hotter than it needs to be, the aluminum could slump when I fill it with casting alloy. That would be a little too exciting...

Meanwhile, I've been using a nonstick steel muffin tin with seamless cups -- the ingots just drop out, and the little bit of rust in the bottom of one (where the coating got scratched through) doesn't seem to affect things at all. I've also got some mini-loaf pans, seamless drawn stainless, that would work very well if I could ever melt enough at once to need more than the six muffin cups (at three pounds each, near enough).

imashooter2
11-17-2012, 11:31 PM
My only concern with aluminum for ingot molds is that if my smelt is a little hotter than it needs to be, the aluminum could slump when I fill it with casting alloy. That would be a little too exciting...

Your concern is unfounded. Aluminum for a smelting pot, where it is exposed to the heat source is no good, but there is no issue for use as ingot molds.