PDA

View Full Version : Will the REAL 4227 please stand up?

35remington
06-15-2007, 08:46 PM
This was almost entirely predictable, being one of the corollaries to Murphy's Law: Discontinued powders shoot great.

I've rebarrelled my .25-20 Contender with an expensive OTT barrel to replace the Contender Custom Shop barrel that shot boolits poorly. In going back over loads that shot at least passably in the badly throated Contender barrel, H4227 stood out in the new OTT barrel, averaging under a half inch at fifty yards using unsorted, unweighed bullets from a Lyman 257420 double cavity and a six cavity group buy Lee. In the somewhat fussy .25-20, any good shooting load is not to be ignored.

Now, the question.

H4227 was made in Australia, and was uncoated, greenish gray looking extruded granules.
As I recall, the IMR powder (was?) produced in Canada, and had a graphite coating. Painfully now aware that H4227 is no longer manufactured, I picked up a can of IMR4227 and noted on the label it was made in Australia.

Hmmm. Those Hodgdon boys are tricky. Please recall that Hodgdon "bought out" the IMR line.

So, are the Aussies simply coating the old H4227 with graphite and calling it IMR 4227 and giving lip service to their claim that they are "continuing" IMR 4227 while dropping H4227? Or, are they actually producing IMR 4227 to the original specifications for the Canadian powder? Why would they?

It's been awhile since my last can of IMR 4227 and I can't recall what the appearance of the powder was before this most recent can.

Supposedly the reason the IMR was retained while the H was dropped was that the IMR version was by far the most popular, which would argue that the Aussies would now produce 4227 to IMR specification rather than H.

The other question is that whether the two powders were enough different in performance that anyone would notice the difference if they were "switched"- or not switched.

I intend to find out whether the present IMR 4227 differs sufficiently from the H in accuracy in my .25-20, having never compared the two directly in this caliber. I'm hoping that they're similar enough that accuracy will be comparable. It should be - a nice gentle push for my low velocity small game loads (1250 fps). I can't imagine why one would shoot and not the other, as they're very close in burn rate. But you never know.

Thoughts? Facts? Even opinions appreciated.

John Wootters never bothered to distinguish between the two when using 4227 in his favorite .25-20 load, and maybe I won't need to either. I'm hoping.

357maximum
06-15-2007, 08:54 PM
My opinion based on performance ,looks and a few undocumented rumors....IMR4227 of current manufacture is indeed the old H4227, my irons vote yeah to the above and so do my eyes....

JeffinNZ
06-15-2007, 10:13 PM
It stands to reason that Hodgdon will rationalise their product lines over the IMR, H, and W powders. All the ball powders come from the same factory (Primex now St Paul) and an example is H335 and W748 are the same mix - and this was prior to merger. Extruded will go the same way. In time you will see a lot of powder varities drop off where duplication is present.

My advice is start using Vihtavuori, Ramshot, Accurate, Alliant to keep Hodgdon honest. They have too much market for my liking.

We are well screwed down here at the bottom of the world and rely almost solely on ADI. Their powder is great but monoply = high prices. I am presently paying USD40.00 pound for ADI powder.

Bass Ackward
06-16-2007, 05:52 AM
According to a magazine article, you are correct. Hodgdon had 3 powders occupying the same space. LilGun, IMR 4227, and H4227 in that order. They decided to drop the middle entry for a host of reasons that I don't know if they were true or speculation.

Ron
06-16-2007, 06:04 AM
My understanding of the situation is that ADI make most if not all of Hodgsons powders. You can find an article on the ADI website regarding this.

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2007, 08:08 AM
My take on it is that there differnt powders at least something is diffrent with them as ive allways got differnt results in working up loads with them. Looking at my loading data ive allways seemed to get better results in rifles with imr and handguns with the h4227. Same thing with 335 and 748 there close to the same in burning rate but load developement shows them as differnt powders. I know i hear it all the time that its just lot numbers that im seeing varitaions in but that doesnt show in loading as even changing lots ive seen a differnce that is consistand enough to claim for myself that there different. Maybe its the differnt coatings that cause the changes in the powders when developing loads. My understanding is that the new powder is the h4227 in the imr jugs. I havent seen any to see if its grey or black and if anyone has id sure like to know myself. I squirreled away a couple kegs of the old h4227 just in case as i load mostly handguns and like i said its been hands down better then the imr 4227 in that application for me.

felix
06-16-2007, 08:20 AM
No two lots are the same. That's man-made chemistry. Now, when we start making things from a much lower level than raw elements, then we might say we can make two powder lots the same for all practical purposes. I don't think, really don't know, that 748 and 335 have never been the same intended powder. But, if I were the production engineer in charge, I would package them as the same if sales needed one or the other, and the pressure testing lab said OK. ... felix

35remington
06-17-2007, 01:39 AM
After examining the powder through a 20X magnifier, it sure looks identical to the H4227 labeled stuff, only grayer.

Swapping H4227 into jugs labeled IMR 4227 is kinda what I was expecting Hodgdon to do.

They could have left out the misinformation bit about "continuing" IMR 4227.

We'll see how the old H4227 and the "IMR 4227" stack up with the same volumetric setting.

I'll post after next week with my findings.

mike in co
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
things to ponder ....

my lots of 4227

h4227 made in scotland circa 1988 new in keg picked up today.

imr 4227 four 1 lb cans....dated 1978....

the imr was bought by my dad for his 357( now mine) and works excellent in my 8mm mouser with the gb 175 lee.....

i do have one can of imr dated 2001......dont know where that "new" stuff came from!!....lol