PDA

View Full Version : My Journey

BBGun
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Just sharing the journey through my world of making my own.
First the reloader.
I first started just 45 acp's. Then added 38's, then 9MM, then 300 Winchester Mag, then 8 X 57 mauser.

Then I decided I wanted to cast.
I learned how to make ingots from Wheel weights.

Then I needed tin for mixing into my ingots.

Then I cast some boolits, 45 ACP's. Please bear in mind, these are the first time I casted anything. the quality isn't there yet.

Next I have to lube the boolits and then load them.

After that I start all over again.

FUNNNN!

Wayne Smith
11-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Yup, you are hooked completely! Now to stumble on a mold that does not fit any of your guns, at a wonderful price. Then you have to buy a gun to use the mold. Yes, it does get that bad!

bbqncigars
11-17-2012, 06:08 PM
This will result in multiple presses, powder measures, and furnaces. With all of the accompanying accessories. Trust me on this.

rmatchell
11-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Yep, it is a illness. I catch myself doing it all the time as well. Every good deal I see cant be passed up and everything else still doesn't look that bad.

Cherokee
11-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the fun !!

mdi
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
You know you're a caster when you'd rather walk than drive so you can find wheel weights at the side of the road...

trixter
11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Get a hot plate and use it to heat your mold, you will be so happy. The very first boolit will be usable, and all after that. I wasted so much time and effort without one.

captaint
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I have come scary close to buying molds that I have no gun for. Just cause it's a great boolit. I probably should have a gun for it. Haven't gone there yet, but it could happen. I haven't considered buying jacketed bullets in a long time. Haven't shot one for longer. enjoy Mike

Harter66
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm 5 years w/o buying a jacketed bullet as a component. I've fired 29 jacketed bullets in that time. 20 to get a box of brass for a new to me gun and 5 on hunts and 4 to check zero,because my load wasn't ready to shoot on game until this season.

Pretty soon folks will be telling you they saw lead roof flashing over at Moe's place,and panting like a retriever every time they bring you a rogue ww. Meanwhile presses will follow you home as mentioned. Then you'll need more shelving......

While I haven't bought a mould to justify a gun, I did buy an action then a bbl and next month a stock because you can't have just 1 mould for just 1 calibre in just 1 cartridge just because it happens to work well. You have to see if it'll work in 2!

Welcome to the madness

BBGun
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
You know you're a caster when you'd rather walk than drive so you can find wheel weights at the side of the road...

That's too funny. I've actually considered that! Ha