PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the members sell any of their boolits?

HiVelocity
06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Just curious folks,

I thought if someone posted a list with e-mail addresses and the bullets they cast, maybe many of "us" could purchase a couple in different sizes, configurations, and calibers to try before spending all the money buying a mold, set up, and realize that it simply didn't work.

"Just food for thought!"

PS- I'm interested in buying 458 dia. 300-350 grain GC boolits for my 45-70 if anyone would like to e-mail me [ HiVelocity03@aol.com ]

Excellent web site, superb resource site.

HiVelocity in SC:-D

VTDW
06-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I like the idea but do not know if the politics of the matter is OK. We shall see eh?

Dave:drinks:

45nut
06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Go for it,,we don't mind at all. KDM custom or Bullshop would be a start.

Joel Chavez
06-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I cast for 38/357 and 45acp. All boolits are lubed with Lars C. Red in a Lyman 45.

155gr SWC-HP w/GC (Lee Mould-modified with a deeper cavity); sized at .358
158gr SWC(Lyman) Sized at .358
230gr RN(Lee Mould) Sized at .452

How many do you need.

*Note*
The HPs are cast with softer lead while the others are straight WW. I haven't tested the expansion of the HPs, but I think they will work great. :castmine:

ktw
06-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I have have purchased cast boolits in the past from Bullshop in order to try different designs. I have been completely satisfied with my transactions with him. I would like to suggest that route as your first option.

If, for some reason, that does not work out for you I have molds for Lyman 457122-HP, Lyman 457191 and Lee 457-340-F and would be willing to send you some for trial purposes.

-ktw

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 12:07 AM
HiVel, It is perfectly legal to send boolits through the mail. It is best to call your package "metal parts," or other innocuous nomenclature, because the nice ladies at the post office think "bullets" means explosives. Many of us have traded small sample pckages of boolits to try the other guy's mould before buying. The problem about selling bullets is that casting is such a labor of love, most of us are reluctant to sell large numbers of bullets. OTOH, Bullshop is set up for quantity casting and will be happy to help you out. He is also a gentleman of the first water. Sorry I can't help with .45 rifle boolit samples because I don't cast anything that big.

Four Fingers of Death
06-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Its funny, country eople are quick to critise city folk, but when I lived in Sydney, I used to load lots of ammo for guys, most with my boolits up front. No one ever quibbled. When I moved to the country, guys heard I did reloading, went to the discounters, bought bullets, cases, etc and expected me to load for free (?). I had about 15 regular (clients I suppose) in the city, but have hardly sold any since the move. I used to explain to them, if they wanted the savings, you had to be prepared to invest in equipment. I than offered to let them use my equipment while I showed them and they loaded their ammo under supervision. I had two take me up on it and they ended uo getting into reloading, one did it once, thanked me and went back to shooting factory ammo.

Now that I have those swell GB moulds, I might start selling a few to pay for other equipment. Most aussie target pistol shooters use commercial cast plastic/teflon coated bullets. So the market is not great, but custom sizing might be attractive.

Mick.

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2007, 08:13 AM
its perfectly leagal to give them away and ship them in the mail but if your selling them you need a federal licience. Like was said earlier i got into it for a while (probably illegally but didnt know it) I found by the time you figured your time in and the lead if you had to buy it or just the fact you were using up your free stash a hand caster makes about 6 bucks an hour (thats if your buying lead) your competeing against casters that have casting machines they can turn on and walk away from and that buy lead in large quanitys and get a price break. I know a few commercial casters personaly and allways tell them that i laugh at people who complain about the prices of cast bullets. There the bargin of the century when you look at whats involved it producing them and in the case of a good hardcast bullet every bit as good or better then any premium made jacketed handgun bullet and price like plinking jacketed bullets.

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
When I moved to the country, guys heard I did reloading, went to the discounters, bought bullets, cases, etc and expected me to load for free (?).

Mick.

Souds just like the people who bought tuneup parts or oil and filters from the mass market parts stores and expected me to install them for my usual labor rates. I gently explained that I kept my labor rates low anticipating the same profit on parts that Jolly Roger's House of Parts made.

felix
06-16-2007, 01:25 PM
75 bucks per hour around here nowadays, Bill. Let them buy their parts where ever they like. ... felix