PDA

View Full Version : Gonna build a berm

Jim
11-17-2012, 09:46 AM
I've got a 50 yard range on our place about 75 yards from the house. Direction of fire is to the west south/west and there's nothing beyond it for a coupla' miles. Most of the rounds impact a slope on reposessed bank property just outside of my property line. I have heard a couple of ricochets impact timber beyond the slope, so I've always had a little 'pucker factor' about that.

A friend is going to come over in the next coupla' weeks and do some earth work for me. Janet's clothes line is on a light slope and it's a bit uncomfortable for her to stand on that while hanging or taking down laundry. My buddy's going to cut the slope flat to fix that. Also, the circular drive that goes around the house is not wide enough to park two vehicles side by side behind the house. He's going to cut the slope on the back side of the drive to widen it. I'll be able to park my truck in that new area so as to not block the drive.

All that soil that is being cut out is going to be piled up for a berm. He came over yesterday and we looked it over. We're going to shift the direction of fire to almost due west. That will enable me to have a berm on my property, shoot more in the direction I want and still maintain the fifty yards to the target.

I helped this guy get started reloading for his stainless Marlin Guide Gun a coupla years ago, so he's very sympathetic toward this project. All he's going to charge me for all this work is the fuel for the tractor and a pizza for lunch.

There's no way I could afford to hire a contractor to do this, so this is a sweet deal for me. Of course, when the berm is done and the new range is finished, he's going to help me 'initiate' it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-17-2012, 10:06 AM
We're going to shift the direction of fire to almost due west.
Good Luck on the berm...I wish I could do the same.

I'm not going to tell you what to do.
But I'll tell you this little story...
Both of the sportsmens clubs I belong to have rifle ranges with the berm due west.
during the summer, 5pm to 7pm we have the sun in our eyes...that is the same time that one of the clubs holds rifle league shooting. Let me tell you, you sure learn quick about sun shades for scopes and what lens coatings work in High Light and the ones that don't. Tasco, China was by far the very worst...at the slightlest angle of sun entering the objective, all you see is grey...Leupold was the best, you could still see while looking straight into the sun til your retina is burnt.
Jon

Jim
11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
No, Jon, I don't consider your comment to be 'telling me what to do'. Actually, I think it's thoughtful of you to mention it.

I inherited my Dad's opinion that 'a picture is worth a thousand words', so I went out to the range with my camera so you could see what I've got to work with.

You can see the target stand at the 50 ft. mark. That's where I've been shooting. Just to the right of the stand is the first large Pine. Just to the right of that, there's a small opening with a stump in it. That stump will be pulled out and I'll be shooting down through there. The property line is such that the berm will be on my property, but I'll still have 50 yards. As it is now, the 50 yard line is just off my property.

I've been out there when the sun is at it's worst and the Pines surrounding my little range and the timber beyond provide complete shade at the table. I think it will work out OK.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/dscn1384-e1353162234120.jpg

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh WOW.....yeah, you'll be OK ...no sun in your eyes !!!
both the rifle ranges are 100 yards, and there is a bluff above one and trees beyond the other, but being 100 yards away, there is still a time when the sun is above them.
Good Luck,
Jon

Wally
11-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Is the soil sandy for it?

Hamish
11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Jim, "What goes around, comes around" OR "It pay's to be nice to people"

:bigsmyl2: But then, you already knew that,,,,

WILCO
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Looks good Jim. Keep us posted. Picture makes a great desktop background too!

Jim
11-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Is the soil sandy for it?

Kind of. I don't know how difficult it will be to sift it if i ever wanna reclaim the lead. I'm not too worried about that, though. If I have to, I can wash the soil through a sifting screen.

11-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice area and mighty "purdy". On the top of your berm you can place a couple of cross ties to catch possible ricochets. Drill a hole in them and drive "rebar" or a pipe through them and into the berm. Angle them toward you slightly and you will have a "canopy" over your berm. Pleasant shooting to you and your bud.

geargnasher
11-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I was thinking what Hamish said: What goes around, comes around! Guys that will donate their machinery and seat time are hard to come by, but then again so are one-on-one reloading instructors.

Show us some pics as it progresses.

Gear

garym1a2
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Design it so recycling of lead is easy. Also invite people over to shoot that throw big cunks of lead into your boolit trap.

Sides and a back are nice as they tend to spread out over time.

1Shirt
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I envy you Jim. Wish I had land that I could make into a private range. Keep us posted!
1Shirt!

Fishman
11-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Glad to see you are finally getting the berm you wanted. Looks like a great range!

The berm will spread out so make it big.

41 mag fan
11-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Can you shoot from the couch out the window there? If not you might think of doing some remodeling while the berm is being built :bigsmyl2: